The YA Dystopian Book Club discussion

Discussion > Dystopian books in a high school lit. class?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary | 19 comments Do you think dystopian books should be included in curriculum? If so which would you want to read?

message 2: by Daniel (last edited Feb 10, 2014 07:16PM) (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 203 comments The grade 7s at my school are doing The Maze Runner and the Hunger Games for their IRS. (I'M SO JELLY)

In literature class our school focuses a lot on recurring themes and big ideas in books. A good one would be Legend, because it deals with right vs. Wrong, and how it is very unclear sometimes which is which. As well, Unwind is a good topic for writing and discussion because Shusterman is able to create this brilliant world where people struggle with their moral values, and where they choose to let go of that to gain power. It also deals with the idea of life. When you're unwound, are you alive, or dead? If you're Cam, are you your own person? Do you have a soul? So it's really good series in terms of raising those kind of questions. And, however cheesy this might be, there are also many books, like the Darkest Minds, that explore what love can do to you, and what love will cause you to do. I find it sad that people, and teachers especially, write off dystopias and other teen books as solely entertainment, and lacking substance. There are really many good ideas that can be explored through the study of dystopias. It isn't just Shakespeare who can write meaningful and thought provoking pieces of writing. Intelligent writing doesn't always have to be old, draggy, and boring (I may or may not be talking about Shakespeare).

But I digress.
My answer to your question is yes.

message 3: by Mary (new)

Mary | 19 comments I totally agree! when I told my teacher he laughed at me though....

message 4: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 203 comments When I told my teacher she just smiled and said, "I wish we could make that happen." She was probably judging me so hard under that thoughtful smile, though.

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary | 19 comments Hahahah! My teacher offered to let us read more current books but all my suggestions were too much of an "easy read"?! I suggested books like Ender's Game (which he said was for nine year olds) and The Secret Garden (which was still too easy), but I am determined to make him see my point!

message 6: by Riya (new)

Riya | 1876 comments I know that Ender's Game is actually one at my high school- it's actually part of a spring break reading where everyone has a choice of like 5 dystopian books such as Farenheit 451 and more!!!

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary | 19 comments That's so cool!! I wish we could do that!

message 8: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Lillie (kiwibookworm) | 28 comments Yes, definitely. Modern literature is still literature, after all, and there are so many beautiful dystopian books that people should get to read!
After all, would you rather read about a bishop or Tobias?

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary | 19 comments Tobias Fourever!!!

message 10: by Daniel (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 203 comments Mary wrote: "Tobias Fourever!!!"

I caught that way too late.
I was actually about to correct you on your spelling error.

message 11: by Mary (new)

Mary | 19 comments hahahahahahah (:

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Folded Between the Pages of Books (jessilovesbooks) | 364 comments Totally. I actually didn't really start to like reading fiction until I was in my 30s because everything we read in school was boring so I just thought I didn't like reading fiction (I've always read lots of non-fiction). If you let teens read the kinds of books they like, they'll be a lot more likely to love reading.