Smashwords Authors discussion

Marketing > Google Play

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments Hi all. Has anyone here put their book(s) on Google Play? Is it a relatively painless process to do so? More importantly, is it a worthwhile sales channel?

message 2: by Duane (new)

Duane L. Martin (unseenthings) | 52 comments I looked at it yesterday actually. The part of their agreement that says they can set the prices as they see fit is what turned me off to it. They'll pay you royalties according to your list price, but then sell your books for whatever discounted price they want to sell them for. That can get you into trouble with other retailers and possibly get your books pulled depending on the retailer and their agreements. I believe Amazon requires you to sell for the same price on every site, so theoretically if you're selling your book for $3.99 on Google Play and they discount it to $3.03 or something and Amazon finds out, they can pull your books.

I went and read a few discussions about it on various message boards and that's pretty much what I took away from it. I may be wrong though, so if anyone has any better information, feel free to correct me.

message 3: by Ubiquitous (new)

Ubiquitous Bubba (ubiquitousbubba) | 413 comments You are correct, Duane. Google Play has improved substantially. Given where they started, that's not saying much. I regret listing my work with them because the effort I put in far outweighed the sales. They do discount your books. To keep Amazon from price matching down to Google's level, I had to raise the list price on my Google book so the discounted price would approximate the price on Amazon. Google Play does not have the sales volume to compete with Amazon or iTunes and the site is unbelievably awkward.

I know Google will someday own Humanity, and the smart choice would be to flatter our future master, but I really don't like this store. (I know. When they take over the world, I'm doomed.)

message 4: by Duane (new)

Duane L. Martin (unseenthings) | 52 comments Yeah, I was pretty sure I was reading it all correctly. Just the fact that they set the price on your book themselves arbitrarily was the big turn off for me. That's not their business to be doing that. The author or publishers should set the price, not them, especially when it can cause problems with other distributors.

message 5: by Stan (new)

Stan Morris (morriss003) I've gone through the process. It's a nightmare. I'm constantly amazed at how badly they do this. Imagine if you could select a Google doc, select a cover from Picasa, and publish. They could do something great, but instead it's a joke.

message 6: by Steph, Space Opera Diva (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 807 comments Ubiquitous wrote: "...I know Google will someday own Humanity, and the smart choice would be to flatter our future master, but I really don't like this store. (I know. When they take over the world, I'm doomed.)"

That's what I was thinking! Most smartphones and tablets now seem to be Android-based and I assume that comes with a Google Play application as standard. What I'm not convinced about is the potential for extra sales. Not that I get many anyway...

message 7: by Sherri (new)

Sherri Moorer (sherrithewriter) | 23 comments I put mine there, but I have yet to see sales thru them. In fact, I sell mostly thru Smashwords & Amazon. Google Books downloads can be aggravating and frankly, it isn't user friendly.