Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

General > Books you hate

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary | 208 comments On some of the reviews of books - some people say they hated the book - Others say they loved it. What do you when you can't get into a book or you just hate it?

message 2: by Ampa (new)

Ampa (maniacmidget) | 2 comments I've come across a few of those recently where I've read a review and the book *seems* like something that I'd like. But if I find no interest in the characters or content I can't bring myself to get passed a few pages and have to put it down.

I also created a book shelf called "did not finish" for those particular books.

message 3: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 1864 comments Mod
If I can't get into a book, I just stop reading it. There are too many good ones out there for me to waste my time on the bad ones.

message 4: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A Sarah Silverman's book The Bedwetter: Stories of Courage, Redemption, and Pee, and anything by Harlan Coben, specifically Six Years.

message 5: by Samantha A (new)

Samantha A I didn't finish either of them because I hated them so much. ^^

message 6: by K (new)

K | 286 comments The Camera Never Lies. Aweful book. You can read my review here: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 7: by Mary (new)

Mary | 208 comments I used to give a book away if I didn't like it. But now I have found that if I put the book away for awhile and try again later, that sometimes I like it the on the second try, sometimes I don't - No third tries. I give it away if I didn't like it.

message 8: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 37 comments I too have the shelf, "did not finish". And anything I can't get into for whatever reason goes to the Library Book Sale bin. Life is much too short.

message 9: by Amber (new)

Amber Moore (ambermoore30) | 19 comments I have a folder on here for that. Those books get deleted from kindle. Lol

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I reserve 1 star ratings (since zero means I didn't rate it) for anything I hated, couldn't finish, etc. I'll give a book usually one chapter and if I don't care about the characters or what happens by then, I don't waste my time on the book.

message 11: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany (herbtiff) | 411 comments I do the same thing as Joseph - put it to the side and come back at a later date in time. Those books that I have finished that I just sat there and thought, wow I wasted so much time with that book get removed from my life. I either donate it because somewhere someone may appreciate it or if it is an ebook then it gets removed from my Kindle and my cloud!

message 12: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 363 comments I have a shelf for didn't finish as well, that doesn't mean I won't pick them back up again later and try again. I am a mood reader so a book has to fit my mood for me to get into it. I try to keep that in mind so that I don't fall into the "hate" a book mind set. It just wasn't the right book at the time.

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary | 208 comments Melissa wrote: "I have a shelf for didn't finish as well, that doesn't mean I won't pick them back up again later and try again. I am a mood reader so a book has to fit my mood for me to get into it. I try to k..."

I like your reply Melissa. I have started doing that too. I used to just get rid of the book (give it away). I probable missed out reading a lot of good books. Now I just put them back on the shelf and try again at another time.

message 14: by Karen M (new)

Karen M | 418 comments A couple of times I've struggled to stay interested in a book so I've put them aside, some times for years, because it can be I'm the problem, not the book. One good example was The Alienist. I was not in a frame of mind to read this book so I put it aside for 3 or 4 years and finally went back to it. It was a really good book, so it was just me and not the book.

message 15: by shiratorii (new)

shiratorii | 2 comments I usually give every book a second try, even if I did hate it on the first try. But if I don't like it then, I'll give it away (I sell my 'hated' books, maybe someone else will really love them, who knows).

message 16: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments One of the worst books I've ever read was The Swiss Family Robinson The Swiss Family Robinson  by Johann David Wyss The Swiss Family Robinson  by Johann David Wyss Johann David Wyss It is an insult to human intellect.

message 17: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (bookjunkie57) | 353 comments I used to try and finish every single book but I found that I would avoid reading when something wasn't working for me. I now have a DNF shelf for books I just know I'm never going to attempt to try again. Mostly they struck some type no never want to hear about that again chord with me. I don't rate those but I do try to write down why I didn't like it. I also have a back burner shelf for books that I think might be good but I'm just not in the mood or right mindset for. I have yet to go back and retry them but I will... someday.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

I usually put a book aside and read another there has been a few times the stubborn side of me would keep reading parts between reading other books but mostly after the second try I just donate to Goodwill and hope it is to the next person taste.

message 19: by S (new)

S The Great Gatsby and the 3rd book in the Hunger Games Trilogy (Mockingjay). The first was just a complete bore (and I still have more than a little animosity for having to read it in school, then answer the essay question "Compare and contrast The Great Gatsby to the Theory of Evolution." -- this was a Government course which didn't teach government, nor the theory of evolution. Or English, for that matter. The response I gave to that will forever remain my greatest work of B.S.) and Mockingjay was such a disappointment after the two decent books in the series, I had to write my own Epilogue just to make peace with the series. (Yes, I felt it was THAT bad. And I encourage the rest of the world to do the same. I think we can all agree that book was a travesty.)

message 20: by K (new)

K | 286 comments Sarah wrote: "The Great Gatsby and the 3rd book in the Hunger Games Trilogy (Mockingjay). The first was just a complete bore (and I still have more than a little animosity for having to read it in school, then a..."

Nah, I loved Mockingjay.

message 21: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Baine (jjbaine) | 3 comments The Scarlet Letter
Grapes of Wrath
Moby Dick

Moby Dick almost ruined reading classics for me. That book is so freaking long and SO CRAZY BORING.

message 22: by Mary (new)

Mary | 208 comments J.J. wrote: "The Scarlet Letter
Grapes of Wrath
Moby Dick

Moby Dick almost ruined reading classics for me. That book is so freaking long and SO CRAZY BORING."

I loved "Grapes of Wrath".

message 23: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Baine (jjbaine) | 3 comments Mary wrote: "J.J. wrote: "The Scarlet Letter
Grapes of Wrath
Moby Dick

Moby Dick almost ruined reading classics for me. That book is so freaking long and SO CRAZY BORING."

I loved "Grapes of Wrath"."

My father-in-law loved it too, but I just can't get around it. It is very unappealing to me.

Michelle Sedai of the Brown Ajah (michellekobus) I have an Abandoned shelf. Life is short, and I almost died once already. I'm not going to waste my time on this earth reading a book I don't enjoy.

message 25: by Julie (new)

Julie (jblacken) | 3 comments I tried and hated Herman Wouk's "Don't Stop the Carnival".

I'm not even sure I can give a reason. We just aren't kindred spirits.

message 26: by Julie (new)

Julie (jblacken) | 3 comments Oops. That being said, I just move on. I began the Divergent series afterward and was pleased with my choice to Dutch it. Maybe I'll try again someday.

message 27: by Mary (new)

Mary | 208 comments J.J. wrote: "Mary wrote: "J.J. wrote: "The Scarlet Letter
Grapes of Wrath
Moby Dick

I loved "Grapes of Wrat..."

J.J. wrote: "Mary wrote: "J.J. wrote: "The Scarlet Letter
Grapes of Wrath
Moby Dick

I loved "Grapes of Wrat..."

That's o.k. That is why there are lots of different books - there are lots of different people.

message 28: by Paulfozz (last edited Mar 10, 2014 11:30PM) (new)

Paulfozz J.J. wrote: "The Scarlet Letter
Grapes of Wrath
Moby Dick

I hated Moby Dick too, it was just a rambling mess with occasionally the tiniest of glimmers of greatness. It needed an editor to cut it back to the bone and the drivel removed.

I did like Grapes of Wrath, though it wasn't an 'enjoyable' book to read by any means. Some aspects of Steinbeck's style jarred for me too.

message 29: by Shannon (new)

Shannon  (bookjunkie57) | 353 comments Well I've hit my third DNF book for 2014. Apparently my sense of "OMG I might miss something!" is being out weighed by my sense of "Why am I reading this when I have XYZ waiting for me?"

Is this growing up?

message 30: by Mari (new)

Mari | 21 comments J.J. wrote: "The Scarlet Letter
Grapes of Wrath
Moby Dick

I did not finish Moby Dick for the reason of it boring me as well. The extremes he went to describing the boat is where I called it quits. I kept my distance from classics for a while after that, so I totally identified with your opinion.

The Scarlet letter was okay, but The Grapes of Wrath is one of my all-time favorite books.

message 31: by Amy (new)

Amy  Brobst (amydali86) | 9 comments I have shelf 'tried to read found ehh"

message 32: by Fijke (new)

Fijke | 31 comments Breaking Dawn, because of its thinly veiled moralistic attitude and chaotic style
Little women, because while its message may have been relevant when it was first published, it bored me endlessly.
A Great and Terrible Beauty. Many people will probably disagree with me but I just wanted to throw this book across the room, and I normally treat my books with a lot of respect.

message 33: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie The Sound and the Fury
The Grapes of Wrath
Of Mice and Men
-- needless to say, Faulkner and Steinbeck aren't my favorite authors. I have a DNF shelf, and there's usually a reason something winds up there; either I didn't like it/couldn't get into it at all, or I'll revisit it at some later point (although the latter tend to wind up on a To Reread shelf).

message 34: by TJ (new)

TJ | 16 comments I wont say hate but i didnt like The Cookoo Calling. I read 100 pages then DNF. It jumped too much for me and I just couldn't get into it. I was very disappointed but maybe my expectations we're based on the Harry Potters success

message 35: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Rand I get really annoyed with books that feel like an experiment in a Creative Writing class like Cloud Atlas and Il cimitero di Praga. They just have this special way of making me feel inferior.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I love to read historical fiction and I hate it when an author uses an historical figure inaccurately such as changing history for their story. You can write historical fiction without changing a persons history. Sorry for the vent.

message 37: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Rand Tammy wrote: "I love to read historical fiction and I hate it when an author uses an historical figure inaccurately such as changing history for their story.

Not a fan of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter then?

message 38: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn (sscarllet) | 72 comments I agree with using real people in unlikely ways in historical fiction. However, I do enjoy books like Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter because its just so ridiculous and over the top.

The Grapes of Wrath ruined an entire summer of reading for me. I'll never for give Steinbeck for it. I also never made it through The Scarlet Letter despite being assigned it in school at least 6 separate times. I also never make it through Little Women. I feel like I should love that book and I find Louisa May Alcott to be a fascinating person, but I just can't do it.

message 39: by Bj (new)

Bj Hunter (bjhunter) | 5 comments I wish I could give away the e books I have that I didn't like and couldn't finish but unfortunately it doesn't work like that.

message 40: by Deirdra (new)

Deirdra (thegirlcanread) | 10 comments I read something by Dostoyevsky The Brothers Karmonsov. Not sure of spelling. I put so much work into keeping track of characters and understanding the themes and plot and the ending felt tacked on. I felt betrayed. I threw the hardcover against the wall and threw in recycle bin. No one should read that and I don't care that it is highbrow classic. It will always be trash to me.

message 41: by Deirdra (new)

Deirdra (thegirlcanread) | 10 comments P.S. I love The Scarlet Letter, The Grapes of Wrath, and my son went nuts for Moby Dick.

message 42: by [deleted user] (last edited May 12, 2014 11:52AM) (new)

Virginia wrote: "Tammy wrote: "I love to read historical fiction and I hate it when an author uses an historical figure inaccurately such as changing history for their story.

Not a fan of [book:Abraham Lincoln: V..."

NO, didnt care for the movie either

message 43: by Virginia (new)

Virginia Rand Yeah, the movie was bad.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) If I can't get into a book or just hate it, I discard it. My time should be taken up with things I enjoy reading, not ones that I just can't appreciate.

message 45: by Thom (new)

Thom Swennes (Yorrick) | 592 comments Vampire novels and shifter stories aren't my cup of tea.

message 46: by Scott (new)

Scott Judd | 4 comments anything by Dan Brown

message 47: by Ashley Marie (new)

Ashley Marie I've got a DNF shelf but I also have a "try-try-again" shelf for the books I haven't completely given up on yet.

I loathed Grapes of Wrath when we read it in high school, but I loved it when I saw it performed as a play in college. Can't stand Steinbeck in general, his writing just seems so bleak.

Margaret, I like to donate books I don't like -- makes me feel better about myself to pass it on to someone who may enjoy it more. This doesn't happen often because I tend to buy books after I've read the library's copy, so I know I'll like it.

Hmm, just realized I mentioned a few Steinbeck books in my post #33 from last year LOL.

I was disappointed by Divergent, Poison Study, Throne of Glass, and Angelfall this year in particular -- which sucked because ALL my friends loved them. Hate when that happens.

message 48: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (bonfiggi) I paid 75 cents for a copy of The Goldfinch. I overpaid. I'm editing it, almost every page has over ten corrections. I don't know how this bloated, sloppily written, juvenile book won the Pulitzer.

message 49: by Louise (last edited Oct 27, 2015 01:57AM) (new)

Louise | 280 comments Glamorama was the book that officially made me decide to be prepared to dump books that are lame/badly written/I deeply dislike - sooo bad and I will NEVER read Ellis Again!

message 50: by Michael (new)

Michael | 7 comments American Psycho. Just didn't get it.

« previous 1