Reading the Chunksters discussion

Archived 2014 Group Reads > 2/10: Week 17 - Ants

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristicoleman) What did you think of this section? How do you feel the characters have evolved?

message 2: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) I was looking through my notes, and the key message of all my doodles and highlights is that The Barbie camp figure out what or who created the Dome. The ruthlessness of those creatures could be unpleasant and shocking, but it is also true about human children. Because of the evolving concept of 'self', their behavior is characterized by egotism at the early stage of their psychological development. SO I view this aliens as a certain projection of politicians and people hungry for power. They are whimsical, capricious, and egoistic.

Julia was quite brave to tell about her past experience, not only because it was ignominious, but also because she showed her ugly side, even if it happened when she was young.

And the episode with Linda when she was semi-raped was quite offputting and unsettling.

message 3: by Zulfiya (last edited Feb 15, 2014 05:53PM) (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) Kristi, I would like to suggest opening the final two threads for the discussion TOGETHER. I know those who were reading have mostly finished reading this book, and it is hard for the people as they would like to comment on the book in general while the impressions are still fresh.

As for those who are reading, I will still be here and will try to respond to most of the messages to encourage them and give them the feeling of reading companionship.

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1378 comments Sorry I dropped off on commenting on this book. I didn't take notes and read the last third of the book quite quickly. I would like to comment on the book as a whole once the final thread is posted.

message 5: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1378 comments Zulfiya, I also found Linda's rape scene disturbing, I wasn't prepared for such a scene, and then to have her try and keep the entire incident from her kids and companions was even worse. She had nobody to turn to after it happened, although they were really under the gun to get out of town as quickly as possible at that point.

message 6: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) I totally understand, Linda. I had to scrutinize my notes and because some of the references have been forgotten, I had to re-read some passages.

As for the rape scene, it is so disturbing because you do not know whether it is qualified as rape. There was the denim separating them, but psychologically, it was still a rape, and as you said, she had to pretend that nothing had happened because legally rape had not happened. So how do we define rape? Very disturbing.

message 7: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1378 comments Zulfiya wrote: "I totally understand, Linda. I had to scrutinize my notes and because some of the references have been forgotten, I had to re-read some passages.

As for the rape scene, it is so disturbing becaus..."

Actually I have forgotten that it was not technically rape. In my mind, like you said psychologically, it was rape.

message 8: by Deana (new)

Deana (ablotial) I am all for combining the last of this book into one post!

although I still feel that having aliens be the caps of the dome is a bit of a "cop out" I have resolved myself to the fact that it is definitely going to be that and not a terrorist or some very smart (earthling) kid having some fun. Or even somehow Jim Rennie (though I do not think he is smart enough) as a show of power. aliens are a silly answer, but at least he threw in the twist with them being children torturing humans like so many human children do ants... it was interesting to see all of the characters looking back at some of the not-so-great things they have done in their lives.

I agree that Linda's rape scene ... and I do argue it was rape, obviously unwanted sexual contact with sum to humiliate her and put her in her place... was awful, especially how she had to convince Thurston to go back out again and keep the children from learning what was happening. what a horrible situation to be put in! glad they finally made it out of there safely.

message 9: by Deana (new)

Deana (ablotial) sorry for typos... I am writing from my phone while out of town!

message 10: by Zulfiya (new)

Zulfiya (ztrotter) Aliens are a little bit of a stretch, but I think it works as a premise to show what people can turn into. It is very similar to Lord of the Flies in the isolated/insular premise and how people devolve into madness and ruthlessness. On the other hand, I think King is more optimistic about us that Golding was, at least about some of us!

message 11: by Linda (new)

Linda | 1378 comments I guess I sort of liked that it was aliens because I was hoping to read about something supernatural or alien-like. But I was disappointed that we were not introduced to them earlier and most of the book was focused on the relationships and reactions of the townspeople and not more about the aliens. So since the book WAS focused on the townspeople, then ultimately I was a bit disappointed that it was aliens because that was not the focus of the book.