2014 Hub Reading Challenge discussion

The Adventures of Superhero Girl
This topic is about The Adventures of Superhero Girl
Great Graphic Novels > The Adventures of Superhero Girl

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenni Frencham (jennifrencham) I loved this book - it is laugh-out-loud funny, and I wish my library had a copy so my kids could enjoy it, too. Maybe I'll add it to my "when I find a money tree" wish list. :D

Angela Critics (quiltinglibrarian) | 16 comments I love pretty much anything by Faith Erin Hicks and this book did not disappoint. Who knew being a superhero was so complicated? She still has to find time to earn a living, deal with her roommate, and maybe even attend a party. This was a fun look at the serious side of growing up. When was the last time you saw a superhero have an existential crisis?

Sarah This is the first Faith Erin Hicks book I've read and it is so great. I'm going to add it to my graphic novel collection. When I requested it at work, I didn't realize it was on Great Graphic novels. I was scoping out her work because I read about her upcoming collaboration with Rainbow Rowell. Now I'm doubly excited.

Jenna Friebel (jenna_friebel) I really enjoyed this! Faith Erin Hicks has become an always must-read. Love her art, love her characters.

Kefira | 9 comments Really fun and a great twist on a traditional superego story

Devera Chandler (developyourya) | 32 comments The was my official first graphic novel, although it didn't read like one, more so a comic strip? I liked it, just wish it didn't end so abruptly!

Devera Chandler (developyourya) | 32 comments Amy wrote: "Yep. It's an online comic published in book form.
http://superherogirladventures.blogsp..."

Thanks, Amy! I didn't realize that. I read the introduction but I guess I didn't read it as closely as I should have. Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to try and keep up with it now.

Jessica Schwartz | 7 comments Guys, I am obsessed with this book! I absolutely loved it! I will definitely be asking Santa for this to add to my personal collection, and I'm so happy that I can read it online!

I am a huge Scott Pilgrim fan and I saw a lot of similarities between Superhero Girl and Scott Pilgrim, Yes, they both take place in Toronto (is there something in the water there giving everyone super powers?), but mostly I really liked the way they both blend traditional coming of age stories with superhero tropes. The tropes of both genres are blended together in such an amusing way and with such heart.

Sarah I thought the same thing about Scott Pilgrim!

Jessica wrote: "Guys, I am obsessed with this book! I absolutely loved it! I will definitely be asking Santa for this to add to my personal collection, and I'm so happy that I can read it online!

I am a huge Scot..."

bjneary | 19 comments Loved how they mixed the everyday superhero and the magic and folklore of superheroes. I loved her voice!
She cracked me up and loved her determination and grit.