The Book Was Better discussion

BOOKS ON SCREEN > LORD OF THE RINGS

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Dana Burkey (danaburkey) | 1690 comments Mod
Although I enjoyed the movies, I have not read the books. Books of that scale with that many characters with names I cannot pronounce and differentiate are difficult for me!

But, if you are unlike me and did read them first, here is your place to chat about the good/bad/annoying! :D

message 2: by Jasmina (new)

Jasmina I've only seen each of the movies once. Although I enjoyed the books when I was younger, the movies are way too long and I find myself falling asleep by the time Frodo says he'll take the ring to Mordor..
But oh, how I pity Gollum. He's so sad (kinda remind me of Dobby, but slightly sadder). :(

message 3: by Jasmina (new)

Jasmina It won't let me edit, but another thing about the LOTR movie is that they did an awful job at the transition between Bilbo's party and Frodo getting the ring. As I recall it, several years passed by before Frodo actually went on the adventure. And since he went on straight away in the film, Sauron shouldn't have been so eager/strong to get the ring back as he would have "just" started looking for it (in the right area).

message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments see i knew they would take out alot... but i just can't seem to get through the books. I respect everyone who can! :)

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments LOTR IS MY LIFE. I read one book from the trilogy+The Hobbit once a year. I have all the movies in every possible DVD (not bluray) format. I can talk about LOTR to death so I'll stop here lol.

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Cate u would have loved the stage show of LOTR! I saw in London ('07) and it was so good. I had to watch all the movies the next weekend :) my fav part was the orks going through the stalls to the stage haha scared the crap out of me as I was right on the aisle.

message 7: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I don't know that I ever heard about a stage show version. Was it really bad, or like just a one time thing? I feel like it would have made more press than the literally nothing I've heard of it before now... hmmm

message 8: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments yeah they had a major set back as one of the first shows an actor had their leg caught in the moving stage. big media back 2007, they had to stop for a while and then the understudy had to replace him.

I was a bit cauious seing it as thought it might be a big flop but it was really well done. the stage, costumes, songs and overall production was fantastic :)

some songs and pictures on utube :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxS_k...

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments @ Sam, I have the cast albums and several recordings of it. Being a theater buff too, I enjoyed it.

But what I would've wanted to be a part of was the orchestral version where they played the movie and all of the music was played live by an orchestra. That would've been GLORIOUS.

message 10: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Cate (The Professional Fangirl) wrote: "@ Sam, I have the cast albums and several recordings of it. Being a theater buff too, I enjoyed it.

But what I would've wanted to be a part of was the orchestral version where they played the mo..."

that would have been amazing!

message 11: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Interesting..... I have a degree in theater so I love when my favorite movies are turned into good musicals, but I never really got into LOTR. I like them all well enough, but never read the books, and don't even go to them when I want to be entertained. I think I could have them going in the background okay, but not really sit and watch them all the time.... And when I saw Hobbit in theaters I was really unimpressed and just thankful it was with a youth group I was working with so I did not actually pay to see it!

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments I can recite the whole 1st and 2nd movies lol. I'm sold with The Hobbit but I don't love it as much as the original trilogy.

message 13: by Marika (last edited Mar 21, 2014 05:12AM) (new)

Marika | 187 comments I miss Tom Bombadil in the movies! But I am fine with the changes that Peter Jackson made. I have the extended versions and listened to all the comentaries and they did explain why they changed some things in the commentaries and the special features. Their explanations made sense. I was enjoyed the added Arwen/Aragorn scenes. I was sad that Faramir struggled with choosing the ring in the movie but in the book he was just like, no way I don't want it...but the screen writers explained that they tried to establish how evil the ring was and if a new character blew it off so easily it would have undermined their agenda and that made sense to me.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments I kinda liked the way they did Faramir. In a way, his struggle with the Ring kept Boromir alive in spirit. He's not his brother and yet even in death, he lives in his shadow. He tried to be the better man but he still looks up to Boromir.

Yes, Tom. He would've been a special one in FOTR lol. At first, I didn't like how Arwen was in everything but if it meant more Aragorn, I learned to accept it haha.

message 15: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments oh that's an interesting point about Faramir. I like that.

It was nice to have a small love story...it didn't take up the whole plot but I felt it added to the trilogy. And I loved her apearance at Aragorn's coronation...it was so special. If he hooked up with Arwen at the end without the audience getting to know her it would have been weird, or maybe not weird but at least not as meaningful

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments Elrond's face at the coronation was hilarious! I mean, I get that he's playing the happy father giving away his only daughter but it was so un-Elrond-like!

I do like that they made her a badass. She was mentioned in passing in the books and here, she rode horses, fended off Nazgul... actually did something.

*whispery* I ship Aragorn/Legolas. Hahahaha! Oh the angsty heartbreaking fics that "Hannon le" exchange...!

message 17: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments I normally just cry the last 20some minutes of ROTK because its all so overwhelming...but I do vaguely remember Elrond's face, hehe

Yeah in the special features they talked about how they original had Arwen fighting at Helm's Deep in Two Towers but that it wasn't working and people teased her as a warrior princess (in a negative way) so they cut that. But yeah i agree that I'm glad that she's not wimpy. Eowyn pretty BA too.

I liked Legolas and Gimli's friendship and how that morphed over time. It was cool in the second Hobbit movie when Legolas encountered Gimli's daddy, Gloin.

message 18: by Feliks (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) Oh god. One of my worst hot-button topics. Trying to *not* react here. Must keep my temper..try counting to ten! One..two..three..

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments I'm waiting to see what they'll do in the 3rd Hobbit film re: Gloin-Gimli-Legolas thread. They might just forget about it but I'm such a nitpicker lol.

message 20: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments yeah will be interesting :) As (for obvious reasons) you dont have anything mentioned in the LOTR series so it will need to be "finished".

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments Yeah, that was fail. Gloin was right there in the Council of Elrond. XD

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments I just got back from watching Orlando Bloom get his Hollywood star! :)

message 23: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Wow who is he in between? Have u measured ur hands next to his? Are they sml???

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments It was just for a star on the Walk of Fame. Not a handprint ceremony at the Chinese Theatre.

message 25: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Oh haha I thought they were one and same. U learn something new everyday :) so did u get a signature or too packed?

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments Yeah, my mom did. I just do pictures. :)
http://instagram.com/p/mTT-qfFj9m/

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments Here's my blog post about it, if anyone's interested:
http://orangekissu.blogspot.com/2014/...

message 28: by Louisa (new)

Louisa Knight | 156 comments I haven't read the LOTR books yet but my brother is forcing me, I quite enjoyed the films and the books are always better so I'm sure they'll be fine!

message 29: by Landen (new)

Landen | 73 comments The books were horrible for me, it felt like a huge group of people running through Middle Earth on a journey with a small golden ring

message 30: by Cath (new)

Cath | 7 comments Landen wrote: "The books were horrible for me, it felt like a huge group of people running through Middle Earth on a journey with a small golden ring"

...That's exactly what it is...

message 31: by Landen (new)

Landen | 73 comments Well, I meant there was no adventure, or action, or even to the point o excitement. I know that that was what it was but this is what I ment.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments I met Viggo Mortensen yesterday. I'm still shaking. XD

message 33: by Larissa (new)

Larissa (laracvanti) | 9 comments I've read them, I've seen the movies, I'm a fan girl. Really, it's hard not to feel involved when there's the work of a lifetime wrapping itself around your mind and you get to explore the many many details and subplots and characters.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments ^ I agree. I've become so attached not only to the characters and the story but also to the actors and crew members involved in the movies.

message 35: by Electric (new)

Electric Bubbles (electricbubbles) | 21 comments I've read the trilogy about 3 times. They are very lengthy and take awhile to get through, but they are good. I get something new from them each time. And they are full of friendships. Good ones. Note worthy ones. The ones that stay with you. Ah!
It is true that I visualize the characters according to their movie actor. Casting was wonderful! But I hate, oooooh boy do I hate, how Faramir's story and character was changed. Ooooh. I loved Faramir so, so much in the book. So did the entire city! But in the movie he was different.
I also wish they had cut out some of Aragorn and Arwen and given us more of Eowyn and Faramir.
Those were my biggest problems.

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought that they did amazing with Aragon and Arwen! It was he perfect romance!
What did everybody think of the addition of the elves in The Hobbit?

message 37: by Electric (new)

Electric Bubbles (electricbubbles) | 21 comments Really though, everything with Aragorn and Arwen were in the books appendixes, not the actual book. I wish they had stayed more true to the story. I also wish that Liv Tyler didn't always look like she was about to cry. :/ But that's just me.

message 38: by Aly (new)

Aly You know I shouldn't admit this but I have not seen any Lord of the Rings movies yet. lol :) I hope too but I will behind right now in the Lord of the rings world.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments Viggo Mortensen was the PERFECT Aragorn. Everyone was perfect casting.