Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVES > Civil War Read for girls?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kendall (new)

Kendall (kendallhjordan) | 1 comments I need the title of a good Historical fiction novel for rising 5th grader girls' summer read. Last year I had them read Bull Run by Paul Fleischman, but it was too difficult because it is written from so many different perspectives. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

message 2: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Hawes (little_red_writes) | 13 comments I used to teach 5th grade:) Have you read Richard Peck's The River Between Us? It's one of my favorite historical novels by Peck. You could also try The Teacher's Funeral, Here Lies the Librarian, A Year Down Yonder or A Long Way from Chicago. Peck has such a flare for the funny and human nature.
The Teacher's Funeral A Comedy in Three Parts by Richard Peck
The River Between Us by Richard Peck

message 3: by Lea Ann (new)

Lea Ann (buntingla) You want it focused on the Civil War?

The Last Silk Dress, Girl in Blue and Numbering All the Boneslook good. I've really been impressed with the other Ann Rinaldi books I've read.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Hawes (little_red_writes) | 13 comments The River Between Us is set in the Civil War. The other Peck books aren't. Sorry for the confusion! His other historical fiction books are wonderful reads too:)

message 5: by Beverly (new)

Beverly McClure (beverlysmcclure) | 25 comments Kendall wrote: "I need the title of a good Historical fiction novel for rising 5th grader girls' summer read. Last year I had them read Bull Run by Paul Fleischman, but it was too difficult because it is written f..."

I'm a former fifth-grade teacher and agree that The River Between Us is very good, as are the Richard Peck and Ann Rinaldi novels.

If I'm speaking out of turn, please ignore me, but my historical fiction novel Caves, Cannons, and Crinolines is set during the fall of Vicksburg, MS. The story is more about the effects on families than the fighting and is told from 14-year-old Lizzie's viewpoint.

Hope you find just the right book for the girls to read.

message 6: by M.G. (new)

M.G. King (mgking) | 728 comments Your question reminded me of a book that I've been wanting to read: The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg. It received a Newbery Honor and a lot of positive reviews.

message 7: by E.S. (new)

E.S. Ivy (esivy) | 133 comments M.G. wrote: "Your question reminded me of a book that I've been wanting to read: The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg. It received a Newbery Honor and a lot of positive reviews."

My daughter read this in 5th grade last year. She's a very sensitive reader, so I did prepare her for some of the more graphic parts. Basically, I marked the "gross" parts for her an made sure she knew that it was okay to skim over those parts. As a conscientious reader, that's something I had trouble giving myself permission to do as a kid. In general the tone was light enough that with the preparation it didn't bother her.

It was a replacement book after I talked to her teacher about one that was bothering her - a lot! - My Brother Sam is Dead, due to the graphic descriptions and frequent use of the word "damn." I was so glad her teacher was responsive and let her change books.

message 8: by E.S. (new)

E.S. Ivy (esivy) | 133 comments Kendall wrote: "I need the title of a good Historical fiction novel for rising 5th grader girls' summer read. Last year I had them read Bull Run by Paul Fleischman, but it was too difficult because it is written f..."

Ah, I see that this is any history, not just civil war. :) I was thinking that civil war was a 5th grade theme. My first experience with 5th grade reading selections was for my son, whose list started with books about a boy and his dog (all the dogs died), continued with the civil war, and moved on to.... the holocaust.

I do like to see some happy books mixed in there! :)

I loved pioneer books when I was young, and my daughter liked the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. Not related to a historical event per say, but the historical pioneer life. There is lots of description of how to do things as a pioneer. Also, Little House on the Prairie has some Native American interactions that could be talked about. I also read a chapter aloud to my son's fourth grade class and lots of girls went on to check out the book.

Caddie Woodlawn - another pioneer book that I know has some historical connections, I just can't think of them right now.

message 9: by E.S. (new)

E.S. Ivy (esivy) | 133 comments Jennifer wrote: "I used to teach 5th grade:) Have you read Richard Peck's The River Between Us? It's one of my favorite historical novels by Peck. You could also try The Teacher's Funeral, Here Lies the Librarian, ..."

I love the Richard Peck books! Not something I've gotten my kids to pick up yet. :) But I think they'd be a great place to start. Some of the books do have some older themes that you might be careful of in 4th grade... (knowledge of babies born out of wedlock etc.). A good place to start might be Here Lies the Librarian - I think that's the one with the girl who loves early cars.

message 10: by Melissa (last edited Mar 26, 2014 12:14PM) (new)

Melissa Eisenmeier (carpelibrumbooks) | 73 comments When Will This Cruel War Be Over?: The Civil War Diary of Emma Simpson, Gordonsville, Virginia, 1864 is part of the Dear America series and is aimed at girls in grades 4 - 6. I remember loving the Dear America books in fifth and sixth grades. A Picture of Freedom: The Diary of Clotee, a Slave Girl, Belmont Plantation, Virginia 1859 is also part of that series.

message 11: by Philip (new)

Philip Martin | 29 comments Check out this one: Finding My Place: One Girl's Strength at Vicksburg, by Margo Dill.

Finding My Place One Girl's Strength at Vicksburg by Margo L. Dill

Excellent reviews.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) A little late for the OP, but for future reference:
Turn Homeward, Hannalee
I enjoyed this perspective of a southern girl, a millworker, captured by Yankees, who eventually does escape and go back home, but learns to better understand that people are good, bad, lazy, kind, etc. based on their nature & influences, not on their birthplace in re' the Mason-Dixon line.

message 13: by Janet (new)

Janet Macreery | 11 comments Anna Sunday is a great Civil War book in which Anna must pass as a boy to cross from Pennsylvania into Virginia in an effort to save her father. By Sally M. Keen.

Cheryl has hopes her life will calm down soonish (cherylllr) I just learned about Diary of Charlotte Forten: A Free Black Girl Before the Civil War. Apparently it's part of a series - probably teachers, homeschoolers, should look at several of them.

message 15: by Susan (last edited Jul 23, 2014 06:57AM) (new)

Susan | 25 comments Watcher in the Piney Woods is an American Girl History Mystery that is set in the Civil War time period. The girl in the story meets a prisoner of war and a deserter.

My daughters (and I) loved the History Mysteries books. The series covers all different historical time periods.

message 16: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Davis | 10 comments Melissa wrote: "When Will This Cruel War Be Over?: The Civil War Diary of Emma Simpson, Gordonsville, Virginia, 1864 is part of the Dear America series and is aimed at girls in grades 4 - 6. I rememb..."

For Civil War history for 5th graders, I also like the Dear America book "A Light in the Storm: the Civil War Diary of Amelia Martin".

message 17: by Betsy (new)

Betsy Haynes (goodreadscombetsy_haynes) | 2 comments Cowslip A Slave has just been republished on both Kindle and Create space to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights Act on July 2, 1964.

message 18: by Rod (new)

Rod Barclay (rodmaru) | 19 comments Another book set in the Civil War is Carol Matas' The War Within, which covers the conflicts of being Jewish, and owning slaves. Really thought provoking.

message 19: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1673 comments Mod
Betsy wrote: "Cowslip A Slave has just been republished on both Kindle and Create space to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Civil Rights Act on July 2, 1964."

Holy cow! I had a copy of that back when I was a MG student! I don't remember much about it, but I remember I really liked it, and it was probably my first real introduction to what slavery was all about.

message 20: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 78 comments Rod wrote: "Another book set in the Civil War is Carol Matas' The War Within, which covers the conflicts of being Jewish, and owning slaves. Really thought provoking."
Thank you for this suggestion. This will have multiple connections to our 4th and 5th grade curriculum. I can't wait to read it.

message 21: by Dixie (new)

Dixie Goode (pandorasecho) | 177 comments This is about the age I loved the Little House on the Prairie Books, and then, surprise, surprise, so did both of my very different sons. I usually don't post about my own books on these threads, but I wrote an Oregon Trail time twisted one specifically for about 4th and 5th grade and a school system already bought a class set to use with their American History Unit at that age.

message 22: by John (last edited Aug 21, 2014 01:42PM) (new)

John Briggs (johnbriggsbooks) | 4 comments I recommend Sweet Glory by Lisa Potocar. It's about two girls who disguise themselves as men to fight for the Union. The historical information is rather strong, particularly for historical fiction. It's listed as YA, but after reading it, I'd say young YA. There isn't anything a typical 11, 12, or 13 year old couldn't handle.

message 23: by Lesley (new)

Lesley my daughter is in 5th grade and just finished reading Sugar by Jewell Parker Rhodes

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.