Shut Up & Read discussion

Archives > What about the books you've put down?

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by stanley (new)

stanley guarnelo This used to happen to me a lot. I would start reading a book, I would get bored with it and put it down and eventually back on the shelf. It's not due to bad writing, usually to the thing called life yet for some strange reason I move on to something else. Prime Example : Moby Dick. I find it a fascinating read but it always gets set down after a while. Same with Zorba the Greek. I love the story yet fell by the wayside. The there are deliberate stories I've stopped reading entirely like A Confederacy of Dunces because I found the whole thing frustrating and pointless (forgive me, I know some people find it as a comedic masterpiece, but I just don't get it). So my question is, Which books have you dropped and why?

message 2: by Angela (new)

Angela Vanasselberg Sadly and i get harrassed by my friends and mother because I put down Diana Gabaldon's Voyager 3rd in the Outlander series, LOVE the books and want to finish just every time I plan to start life kicks in and it gets put aside. Im almost afraid to say it is the next book i plan on picking up and finishing the series.

message 3: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Figuhr (slfiguhr) | 39 comments I'm having that problem right now. I found a book whose title I couldn't remember for years, that I wanted to re-read. Well, I'm a little over 50% through the book, and it's taken me a month to get that far. The funny part is I remember loving this book the first time I had to read it in an Ethics class. Ah well, maybe if I put it down and come back to it later I'll finish it.

kiaras playground (BlackUnicorn) | 13 comments I have some books where I just take a break for a couple of weeks and then I finish them. However if there is a book I really dislike I stop reading and give it to our local "oxfarm" (These shops where they sell your stuff for charity, forgot the English term...)

message 5: by Lena (new)

Lena I put down books when they're boring, or when they are just too ridiculous for me. That doesn't mean absurd, either, which I like, but more that I just don't buy the story/characters. Also, super cheesy romance scenes kill it for me.

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky | 251 comments I do stop reading when I can't get into it and try again later. I try and finish books but sometimes they are hard to finish.

♪♫Gloria♫♪ | 52 comments I put down Little Women....

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I've been trudging through the Beautiful Creatures series, but I think I might have to put it down. I just don't know yet. It's getting very hard to finish this series.

♪♫Gloria♫♪ | 52 comments I also stopped reading the inkheart series.... those books were so slow.

message 10: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 32 comments I stopped reading some fiction books where I just couldn't suspend my disbelief anymore. I've reviewed some of them in my 'Stopped Reading' reviews, mostly giving them 1 or 2 stars.

Tammy ~Witching Hour Reads~ (03tammy-lynn) | 1358 comments Xenlient wrote: "I've been trudging through the Beautiful Creatures series, but I think I might have to put it down. I just don't know yet. It's getting very hard to finish this series."

I've had the same problem with this series, I've got through the first 2 books, and have been dreading picking up the third for the last 6 months or so.

message 12: by Nicholas (new)

Nicholas | 33 comments I usually book a down when I'm just bored with it. I can't continue on as the interest just isn't there for me so I quit. Sometimes though I'll continue on if a friend exults the book and tells me that it'd be a disservice if I stop without seeing to the end. That scenario happened to me with The Notebook. I hated it. But that probably has something to do with the fact that I hate the romance genre.

message 13: by Cat (new)

Cat  Watson (oigurl) | 5 comments I end up putting down books all the time because they aren't at all what I was expecting,or because I just can't get into them. Right now though I'm trying to finish every book I start because I'm working on the 50 book challenge that may or may not morph into 100 book challenge. But it is really really hard to finish a book that you start to hate.

Maggie the Muskoka Library Mouse (mcurry1990) I very rarely put down books and then pick them up again. I give a novel 100 pages to interest me. If it can't do that, I discard it. The only time I have returned to a book was Diana Gabaldon's "Drums of Autumn." I set it down because I'd been reading the series for awhile, and needed a break. I didn't stop right in the middle though. I waited until I reached the beginning of a Part. :)

message 15: by Zouagie (new)

Zouagie | 15 comments It;s no new thing that I've never finished a book before. Usually it happens because the plot wasn't what I was looking for or it was dragging too long.

I wouldn't bother reading it again, if it didn't work out the first time, I'm pretty sure it won't work out the second time. Yes I know people have been telling me that second chances are good, but no. I've dealt with enough books to know my tastes and how it will end up like.

message 16: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (kellymatherly) | 34 comments I have a 10% policy with books I read. I get a lot of books through Overdrive (Houston Library) and a few from Netgalley -- all Kindle books. If I can't get past the first 10% of the book, I put it down. I have put down some really popular books because of my policy. Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1) by Tahereh Mafi

Something should happen before I reach 10% to kick-start me into the story. A quest, a murder most foul, a reason for being... whatever.

message 17: by Becky (new)

Becky | 251 comments There was that book about Cleopatra, although I'm a history nerd. I couldn't get into it.

message 18: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) Kelly wrote: "I have a 10% policy with books I read. I get a lot of books through Overdrive (Houston Library) and a few from Netgalley -- all Kindle books. If I can't get past the first 10% of the book, I put it..."

You should have things happening on Page 1, in the first paragraph - even in a literary novel: in this day and age there is little excuse for a slow start.

As I was learning to write, I had that drilled into me by several books - and I don't write anything without that in mind: if you bore the reader, the reader will - and SHOULD - leave.

message 19: by Gary (new)

Gary Ross-Jordan (carpetlessleprechaun) There are some books that drag. I have put down Costa award winners due to a lack of interest. If there is no pull into the story then what is the point in it. With my own writing I always try to get something kicking off in the first chapter, and if that's not possible then throw in a prologue with a bit of mystery to whet the appetite!