The Book Was Better discussion

The Hobbit, or There and Back Again
BOOKS ON SCREEN > THE HOBBIT

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Dana Burkey (danaburkey) | 1688 comments Mod
Okay, so I have to say I have never read any of the LOTR books, including The Hobbit. I don't do well with books with that many people that all have names I cannot pronounce.... I know, kinda weird.

Well, I have seen all the LOTR movies, as well as the first Hobbit, and I was bored by the Hobbit for sure! To me it was just about a handful of guys going on a hike.... Having not read the book I can't say much more than that on the subject, but I'm sure some of you have a LOT to add! Go for it!!!!! :D

message 2: by Jasmina (last edited Feb 10, 2014 11:42AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jasmina My initial thought when anyone doesn't like the Hobbit movie is "how dare you", but I agree with some comments regarding the movies. Peter Jackson has added a lot, but at the same time, it's still the world that Tolkien created. Although there are twists in the movies, I still enjoy them quite a lot. Actually enjoy The Hobbit more than LOTR but...

I do however recommend reading the books!

message 3: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam | 606 comments I tried reading LOTR books and bought them right after finishing the Hobbit but found them too difficult to read. I mean at times in the Hobbit I found he went too far into the history and I would forget where I was on the journey so would have to flip back pages to remind myself. I love the Hobbit movie (both) as Peter Jackson captures the story along with the history without losing me (apart from adding parts not in the book) but at times it would be a little slow. Dont agree with bringing Legolas Greenleaf into the hobbit! whats with that!

Jasmina The thing with Legolas is that Tolkien most likely would have included him in The Hobbit (book) if he had thought of him by then. Since Legolas is the son of Thandruil and elves live long, to me it seemed more or less logical to include him in the movies as well.
One could also see that in the film, Legolas hated dwarves more than in LOTR (where he at the start did as well), so there's also character development in his case..

Marika | 187 comments I found The Hobbit easier to read than LOTR. The Hobbit is meant to be a children’s story…it’s not as complex or nearly as dark as LOTR. The movie trilogy that it has become is totally ridiculous. I don’t have a problem with Peter Jackson adding information to develop the overall story and characters better. However the fact that he turned one novel length’s children’s story into three lengthy movies (as if The Hobbit and LOTR were on the same complexity level…they are NOT!!) is completely ridiculous and smells of greed. I was mostly ok with the first movie; the second Hobbit movie was completely absurd. Jackson added unnecessary plot lines and dilemmas just to spread out the movies…the story of the Hobbit has enough action and adventure without creating more problems to solve. So frustrating! I don’t mind adding small details to tie in the two trilogies, and I don’t mind adding information from the appendices.
I think the second movie was extremely cheesy, over the top, and unnecessarily complicated. The barrel scene doesn’t need to be turned into a 20min fight scene…it was already action-packed enough as it was written. The stupid molten gold river surfing scene was quite possibly the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen….I mentally tuned out for the 15some ridiculous minutes it took to get through that crap. I also didn’t mind the addition of Legolas because, like it was said above, it is probable that he would have been there. The bizarre love triangle was stupid though…
Sidenote…Super weird to see “Kate” from LOST (Evangeline Lily) in the Hobbit! I guess to me she’ll always be Kate.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments LOTR is my life. I mean, I will and have dropped everything for LOTR. And I read The Hobbit once a year. The Two Towers is one of my favorite movies of all time. I know most of the words to Fellowship of the Ring. I can talk this topic to the grave.

The Hobbit is definitely an easier read. I mean, it is categorized as a children's book. And you'll understand some of the "jokes" in FOTR if you've read The Hobbit.

As for The Hobbit movies, they're okay. They're not LOTR epic but then again, maybe we're just used to things like that nowadays. I'm in love with the cast of actors, especially watching the appendices in the DVD sets. It's just... they're so enthusiastic and humble and grateful. I like that in an actor. Going to the red carpet of the 2nd Hobbit film just made my 2013... it was yeaaaars in the making!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

The biggest problem here was turning the shortest book in the series into three movies. Seriously? Two movies would have been better, I think.

I liked the first Hobbit movie pretty well. It did not stick exactly to the book, but then again, they added stuff from he appendixes of ROTK, so I did not mind that much.

However, I did not like the second movie at all. Well, other then Legolas. Grant it, I have only seen it once, so I might like it better if I see it again. I was seething for the last have of the movie the first time I watched it because they left some of the dwarves behind at Lake Town. SO MAD ABOUT THAT!!!!!

Landen | 73 comments The Hobbit is my all time favorite book, but I did not like the Trilogy. To me the LOTR series's was a bunch of people walking to several places. Although I still loved the Hobbit movies, I wish they could exclude some parts an make it more book acurate.

Louisa Knight | 156 comments My brother is obsessed with LOTR and the hobbit and he forced me to read the hobbit. To my surprise I really enjoyed it! I have decided that I'm going to watch the movies when they are all out and watch them all in a row!

Dawn Marie | 9 comments The Hobbit was the first real "grown up" book I read as a child, at age 9 or 10. I am somewhat annoyed that they turned a tiny book into three movies, but they really did a fantastic job (so far) translating the world I imagined to the screen. I need to reread this soon.

Landen | 73 comments Spoiler Alert: Although they are excellent, they are nothing like the book

message 12: by Jim (last edited Aug 08, 2014 05:29PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim Seems a consensus of sorts is forming on this thread about LOTR, The Hobbit, and their film treatments - one that I largely agree with.

I'll comment for the benefit to those who have abandoned LOTR the novel.

Tolkein was disciplined with The Hobbit and indulgent with LOTR. An editor could have readily pared away much of the peripheral meanderings in LOTR (but then so many really liked all the extra world-building detail - can't please everybody).

I think it's fair to say that The Hobbit tends to be more of a Juvenile novel - though the diplomacy at the end concerning the Arkenstone makes it a more sophisticated kind of a "juvy".

It took me three or four tries over about a decade to finally finish LOTR at age 25. I don't regret any of the time I spent with it. Those who find LOTR difficult or tedious may yet discover a good read when trying again.

Kelly | 37 comments LOTR took me six months but I found it quite worth it. I am not always in the right mindset to read it but there is no denying Tolkien created a masterpiece. He created both an amazing world and a story to go with it. Also, he set the standard for modern fantasy. It is a story that you have to take your time with, but it is defiantly deserving of that time.

Kelly | 37 comments Sorry just realized I probably should have posted that on a LOTR thread. Oh well.

message 15: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Dana Burkey (danaburkey) | 1688 comments Mod
An easy mistake to make, all things considered! haha :)

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments I'm hoping that the 3rd movie will be full of Thranduil goodness. That's all I'm asking lmao.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Excellent book. Like the movies, and will own them all, but I REALLY don't like all of the stuff they have added. I mean, three movies? Come on! "The Hobbit" is barely half the length of "The Fellowship" let alone the whole LOTR series! I hate the White Orc, and think he was totally unnecessary. Also, where did the love triangle come from involving Legolas? I don't recall any female elf making such an appearance. Or Gandalf running off to the tower.

Landen | 73 comments It was not said in the book, but Gandalf did go on a side quest, but it was not said what he did. I have to agree with the stuff they added, I love the book and movies but I wish it were more true to the story.

message 19: by Sofia (new)

Sofia  | 15 comments Cate (The Professional Fangirl) wrote: "I'm hoping that the 3rd movie will be full of Thranduil goodness. That's all I'm asking lmao."

OMG, when I read your coment I just could stop laughting because I thought the same thing :) I just love Thranduil!!

Sandiboo | 4 comments Ok so I've read all of tolkens stuff. I love it all also. They are not books for the faint of heart as they are very in-depth and intense. The world building and character building is amazing and I say go forth and read. And yes that elf king hunk of goodness is an ass but they cast him well. Lol

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments So... the best thing about my The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies experience is watching it with the cast. XD

And a lot of Thranduilion fanservice.

Maria | 6 comments I enjoyed the movies, but Peter Jackson could really have benefited from a few physics lessons. The molten gold scenes and the scene where Legolas is defying gravity by jumping on falling rocks are just ridiculous. Overall, though, the pacing, casting, scenery, and costumes were all very good.

Still, I'm of the opinion that people should really read the books before they watch the movies.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments Hahhaa, that Legolas scene. I call that the Crash Bandicoot moment. XD

message 24: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 23 comments I read 'The Hobbit' to my young sons one Summer in order to get them to go to bed on time. It was definitely a children's book.
I saw the first 'Hobbit' movie with a friend shortly after it came out and came away with no desire to see the two succeeding movies at all. Stretching that small book out to cover as much screen time as 'The Lord Of The Rings' seems to be an effort to squeeze more money out of the franchise. I wonder what they would do with 'The Silmarillion', or even 'Farmer Giles Of Ham'.
Jackson has an annoying tendency to give his CGI people far too much leeway, resulting in drawn-out (and even ridiculous) scenes, so that the special effects feel more like special effexcess. Special effects should enhance a film, not take it over.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments I did prefer the original trilogy vs The Hobbit trilogy. That one had less CG and more faithful to the books. As much as I love the actors from The Hobbit, I don't watch those movies as often.

I wish they'd do something with The Silmarillion. The depth and wealth of information in that book!

Philip Dodd (philipdodd) | 3 comments Cate (The Professional Fangirl) wrote: "I did prefer the original trilogy vs The Hobbit trilogy. That one had less CG and more faithful to the books. As much as I love the actors from The Hobbit, I don't watch those movies as often.

I ..."

Christopher Tolkien does not like what Peter Jackson has done to his father's books in his films, so he will not sell the rights of The Silmarillion to New Line or any other film company, for that matter. I fear that if someone made a film based on The Silmarillion it would concentrate on the battles in its pages and not on the fate of the Silmarils created by Feanor.

message 27: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 23 comments I shudder to think how many two- to three-hour movies 'The Silmarillion' might be stretched out to.

message 28: by Lyra (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lyra (lyramarvelle) | 25 comments HOBBIT = SOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOD (I absolutely loved the book, it was so perfect!!!)