Anne Arundel County Public Library discussion

Book Discussions > Invention of Wings

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 1 comments Being a thriller/action lover, this book did not immediately grab my attention. Having read another Sue Monk Kidd book, I knew her ability to write captivating novels. This is truly a gem.

message 2: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (viaggiatrice) | 70 comments Mod
Thank you for your review! "Secret Life of Bees" was such a career defining book; it's interesting to hear how readers are responding to her later novels.

message 3: by Penny (new)

Penny Murnane | 3 comments The Invention of Wings captured my imagination of how life was like in South Carolina from the point of view of a young slave girl and a privileged southern aristocratic girl with progressive ideas. I loved how the story was told from two points of view and the visual imagery of the quilt and Charleston, S.C. really gripped me. It was kind of like a Downtown Abbey from the American side because it told the point of view of the Southern slave owners corresponding with the point of view of the slaves. I like that it was based an a real person. This would be a great read for anyone who loves historical fiction.

message 4: by Merry (new)

Merry | 12 comments What an incredible book! This is quite possibly the best book I've ever read-- or at least in my top 10. And I've read thousands of books. It's a must read for everyone (IMHO)!

message 5: by Cortney (last edited Jul 05, 2014 09:02AM) (new)

Cortney Gardner (cortneygard) I really enjoyed the Invention of Wings. I had put the book on hold, but had too many books that came in at once, so I gave it to a friend to read. She loved it and I had her read Secret Life of Bees which she also loved. I finally got a copy of the book a 2nd time and devoured it. I love historical fiction and I love Charleston. I really liked the way Kidd chose to narrate the story by both Sarah and Handful so you get a perspective from both sides of life. I looked into the story a little bit and found that both Sarah and her sister Angelina were both activists for abolition and women's rights and made history during their time. Fascinating!