Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Team Challenges Archive > Book Buffs' Battleship Rules

Comments Showing 1-50 of 266 (266 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Mar 10, 2014 08:34AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31350 comments Mod
DURATION: This will be a month-long team challenge starting Friday, March 7th and ending Friday, April 4th. It is a simplified version of the popular game Battleship.

The size of each team will depend on the number of players joining. (We’re guessing there will probably be between four to six players per team.)

RULES: You must be able to read a book a week to participate in this challenge. If you cannot commit to at least one book a week, please do not sign-up for this challenge.

PAGE COUNT: Books read must be 160 pages or more in length, as determined by the most popular edition posted on GRs. Audiobook are fine. Please, no graphic novels.

GENRES & CARDS: Each team will be given a card like the following one, indicating y axis (letters) and x axis (numbers).:
The twenty-five genres listed below will be placed randomly by the Mods of NBRC and will be different for each team.

Each Team Captain will be messaged their team’s card and they will need to forward it to their team members, or even better, set up their own GRs group to discuss their strategy. If your profile is set to private, you will need to be friends with your Team Captain and the Mod Account.

DO NOT share your card with other teams!

A new card will be offered to a team half way through the competition, at which time the team may decide to stick with the original or use the new one. This decision must be made before a challenging team makes their call on a receiving teams’ board.

1. BA = Biography/Autobiography
2. CL = Chick Lit
3. CS = Classics
4. CO = Contemporary (generally after World War II)
5. C = Crime
6. CBS = Current Best Seller
7. FY = Fantasy
8. F = Fiction
9. HF = Historical Fiction
10. HY = History
11. H = Horror
12. HU = Humorous /Humor
13. MC = Mystery - Cozy
14. MH = Mystery – Historical
15. NA = New Adult
16. NF = Non Fiction
17. P = Paranormal
18. RC = Romance - Contemporary
19. RH = Romance - Historical
20. SF = Science Fiction
21. SI = Spirituality / Inspirational
22. S = Suspense
23. T = Thriller
24. UF = Urban Fantasy
25. YA = Young Adult
Every genre will be posted at least once, some will be posted multiple times. (There will be more of the genres your team enjoys and fewer - or only one - of the others.) There are one-hundred squares; only fifty will have a genre assigned to them. Here is an example:
“FIRING ON” or CHALLENGING ANOTHER TEAM: This will take place every Friday at 12 noon PST. There will be an international countdown clock provided. The Mods will post by midnight the night before under the Mission Control thread. The Mods will use http://www.random.org/ to determine which team “fires on” or challenges another team.

A team does so by square ID or location. To “fire on” or challenge a team, the challenging team calls the y axis and x axis location of a square. Such as “C-5” for Current Best Seller on the example above. If they called “A-8” - which is blank - then the receiving team has Reader’s Choice.

A challenging team may NOT repeat a location that has been previously used, unless the receiving team has elected to use a new card that week. Locations called by a challenging team are first come first use basis. A team may use different locations for different teams, or all the same.

Only one team member has to read the challenged genre to remain safe. Otherwise, they take a “hit.”

Depending upon the number of people wanting to participate, there may be more than one team “firing on” or challenging another team. Nevertheless, each team will have an equal number of teams “firing on” them.

Also depending on the number of people who participate, the number of teams “firing on” will increase each week; however, it will NEVER be more than the number of team members you have. For example, two the first week, three the next, etc. We will have a better idea of this after the sign-up are closed. We will keep you posted on this.

SLOOP: If more than one team member reads the challenged genre, this is considered a sloop and they may “bank” it for a future attack. This is one way a team may safe-guard for a future attack or earn any points in their “bank.” Each member team is limited to one sloop per “firing” or challenge. (You may have multiple teams “firing on” your team! See above.)

SALVO: Another way to safe-guard from a future attack is if two team members want to read the same genre (different than the “fired on” genre) in the same week and “bank” this genre as read. Although read by two team members, it will only be “banked” once.

RULE EDIT: With regards to SALVOS, we will allow this to be earned over time. Meaning a team member may read one genre one week and ANOTHER team member may read one another week to make a complete pair for a SALVO to be banked. However, remember team members may only count one book a week as ‘read’. This is to keep it fair, since we have people who read 75 books a year and those who read 300.

DETERMINING GENRE: A book must be shelved as a certain genre by at least ten (10) GRs users to qualify for that genre. Please see the screen below to find this info on a book’s Home Page:
WINNER: A winner is determined by the number of “successful hits attempted,” the number of “hits taken,” and compared to what is in their “bank.”

SIGN-UPS: Please sign-up by March 4th here and tell us:
1. The number of books you read a year.
2. Your top five favorite genres from the ones listed above.
3. Whether or not you are willing to be Captain.
REPLACEMENT PLAYERS /STAND-BY: If a team member has not checked by the first 24-hours after being “fired on,” or misses more than a week, they may be replaced. If you wish to be a stand-by player, please indicate such when signing up.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Feb 10, 2014 07:59AM) (new)

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q#1. Are sloops and salvos tied to the genres read? For example, if a team earns a salvo reading Mystery-Cozy, can it only be applied in the future if a square with Mystery-Cozy is “hit”?

A#1. Yes.

Q#2. How long is there to decide what space to “hit”? Would the team need to decide ahead of time, or would there be time to decide depending on team receiving the “hit”?

A#2. You should organize in advance where to hit. Mission Control will tell you by Midnight on Thursday who your target(s) will be and your team should post the team & the location you are “firing on” or challenging in the appropriate thread by noon on Friday.

Q#3. The one question that everyone will ask, can books be started ahead of time.

A#3. Yes. As some people read multiple books at once (some on different media), we will go by FINISHED on date.

Q#4. Do all the books have to be read before the next “firing” begins in order to count?

A#4. Yes, by midnight the night before.

Q#5. How are the genres determined? Are we going by the genres listed on GR?

A#5. The genres are per GoodReads, except for “Current Best Seller.” We’ll our own little hamster brains for number and placement; however, there will be more of the genres your team enjoys and fewer - as in probably one - of the others. This is why we want to know your top five favs.

Q#6. For “Current Best Seller” will there be a list to follow? “Current Best Seller” in Europe might be different here in the US.

A#6. Great question! “Current Best Seller” should be wherever they are; however, anyone outside of the US, England, Portugal, or Australia must provide a link showing a list. Does that sound fair?

Q#7. What are you going to do about the books that are so new they do NOT have Genres/Shelves on their main page?

A#7. Another great question. We’re assuming you were lucky enough to get an ARE (Advanced Reader’s Edition) and still won’t hold it against you. We’ll address AREs as special issues to be addressed by the Mods for genre approval.

Q#8. What is covered under Spirituality / Inspirational?

A#8. Any book ‘tagged’ as such. Also includes Christian Romance or Inspirational Romance books where one of the characters usually has a crisis of faith of some type.

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Feb 10, 2014 07:54AM) (new)

Captain's Duties: These are not that complicated or time-consuming this time around; mostly organizational duties and double-checks.

• Notify the Mods of the name of your team.

• Provide all team members with a copy of your current card. (You may want to start a private new group in which to get organized.)

• Notifying the team(s) you are “firing on” or challenging as to which square you choose. Doing so at the appropriate time, or delegating another team member to do so. There will be a specific thread for this.

• Notifying your team upon which square(s) and genre(s) have been aimed.

• Ensuring the books your team members read qualify -- according to genre and page count -- and that they are ‘tagged’ as read.

• Keeping track of your team’s aims, hits, and “banked” points.

• Notifying the Mods of your need for a replacement player, if necessary.

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved.

message 5: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Reserved.

message 6: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2215 comments If I'm understanding this correctly a team could potentially have more players than shots fired on them in a give week?

If that's the case and there are teams of 4 with 2 shots the first week. 2 of the players read to defend the shots. What do the other two players read AND are their books mandatory or would the team just behind in a potentially banked book if they don't make it in time?

message 7: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Correct, Vicky. Read about SLOOPS and SALVOS. Best to "bank" books.

message 8: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5136 comments I'm a little confused: not everyone on the team has to read for this every week?

What day will we have to finish our books by in order to take our next turn? My little brother is getting married March 15th and it's an over night trip for me. Well really it's just an hour away but we rented a room for the night.

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Now I'm getting confused. I thought we read a book each week. Please explain about the book readings because I'm confused.

message 10: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Feb 12, 2014 09:01AM) (new)

So, if I understand this correctly:

• Every Friday we get to shoot someone and be shot at.
Yes, according to Mission Control.

• Bank = all the books we read during the challenge that are were not used for defense (but can be, if needed).
Yes. Reading the same of what the “firing on” genre is – this is a “sloop,” and may be “banked” while someone else is reading it to avoid the hit. Or two of you – together – read a different genre, which might be a genre of a future attack.

• When we are shot at, we have about a week to "read that square" and be safe.
Correct. Until midnight, the night before “firing on” another team. The same time Mission Control will give you another assignment.

• When we shoot another team, do we just randomly choose the squares, or do we have to choose them accordingly to books read as well?
Your team just randomly choose them, or figure out a strategy of your own.. As long as you are NOT repeating a square.

message 11: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "I'm a little confused: not everyone on the team has to read for this every week?

Read over SLOOPS & SALVOS.

What day will we have to finish our books by in order to take our next turn? My little brother is getting married March 15th and it's an over night trip for me. Well really it's just an hour away but we rented a room for the night. "

Congrats, Mary: HD♥L! You have almost a week to to read a book. You need to finish reading by midnight, the night before “firing on” another team. The same time Mission Control will give you another assignment.

message 12: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Carmen wrote: "Now I'm getting confused. I thought we read a book each week. Please explain about the book readings because I'm confused."

If you are the person who decides to read the "fired on" genre, you have almost a week to finish.

If two of you want to get together to read ANY of genre on your card, then you have SALVO - which may be used to prevent a possible future "hit." Or "bank it."

If you want to read the same genre that was "fired on," but you are a DIFFERENT person than the one preventing the "hit," this is a SLOOP - and you may also "bank" this, too.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

So out of curiosity, say you read three books in a week, if they didn't fit that weeks genre you would be able to bank all three books to save up.

message 14: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

TheButterflyEffect wrote: "So out of curiosity, say you read three books in a week, if they didn't fit that weeks genre you would be able to bank all three books to save up."

No. Just one.

message 15: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

For a salvo, what if I don’t have a partner to read a genre with? May I read another in the following weeks (from that same genre) and “bank” it?
Hmm… let me think on this. Not sure how fair this would be.

Also, what if I start a book in week 1 and finish it in week 3? Is that alright?
That is fine.

message 16: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2215 comments When we bank books do we bank the book or the genre we read it for? As an example, let's say I read Bitten as a SLOOP for Urban Fantasy. The next week, my team get a hit on Fantasy. Can I defend the Fantasy hit by cashing in Bitten or do I have to save it to use as Urban Fantasy?

message 17: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Feb 10, 2014 09:25PM) (new)

❀ Oo ❀ wrote: "So, as long as I finish the book any time in that week, we're good?

E.G. If I had to read a suspense book by Friday, but I finished it on Wednesday, it would count."

Correct.

❀ Oo ❀ wrote: "Also, if you missed the deadline for posting one Friday due to trip or lack of internet access, can you make it up the following week? Or if you know that you are going away for a day, must you try and bulk read the genres in that week before you go away?"

Let me think on this. I would say no, if you are the one preventing the team from taking a "hit" that week... and you're going on a trip. As to Internet woes... well, I don't want to anger the Internet gods. Also, just to be clear, it is the Thrusday/Friday midnight that books must be read by.

message 18: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Vicky wrote: "When we bank books do we bank the book or the genre we read it for? As an example, let's say I read Bitten as a SLOOP for Urban Fantasy. The next week, my team get a hit on Fantasy. Can I defend the Fantasy hit by cashing in Bitten or do I have to save it to use as Urban Fantasy?"

Yes, "bank" the book. In other words, you may use it for any genre it applies.

message 19: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

❀ Oo ❀ wrote: "Would it be possible to tailor my reading in the week to read the books that we need before the Thur/Friday and post them earlier?"

What exactly do you mean by "tailor"? Other than by a salvo?

message 20: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Not a problem.

message 21: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3273 comments Could an adult fiction count as fiction?

message 22: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments So, do I have this right?
2 books of the same genre = 1 banked book.

Sloop: 1 currently reading book(assigned read) + 1 extra of the same genre = 1 banked book

Salvo: 2 'extra' books of the same genre = 1 banked book

message 23: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Sarah wrote: "Could an adult fiction count as fiction?"

Yes!

message 24: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Feb 11, 2014 11:15PM) (new)

Amanda wrote: "So, do I have this right?

2 books of the same genre = 1 banked book.

Yes.

Amanda wrote: "Sloop: 1 currently reading book(assigned read) + 1 extra of the same genre = 1 banked book

If a team member reads the challenged genre OTHER THAN the person shielding your team from the "hit," you may "bank" that book. Yes, it is called a SLOOP.

Amanda wrote: "Salvo: 2 'extra' books of the same genre = 1 banked book"

Yes, two books read of the same genre - any genre (other than the challenged genre that week) - does equal 1 "banked" book.

message 25: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3273 comments Moderators of Nothing but Reading Challenges (All the Mods) wrote: "Sarah wrote: "Could an adult fiction count as fiction?"

Yes!"

And literary fiction - could that count as fiction?

message 26: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Sarah wrote: "And literary fiction - could that count as fiction?"

Per Wiki: "Literary fiction is a term principally used for certain fictional works that are claimed to hold literary merit."

Yes.

message 27: by ❀Tea❀ (last edited Feb 12, 2014 03:04AM) (new)

❀Tea❀ (ttea) | 9471 comments The more I read, I get more confused.
(Sorry if I'm repeating from before.)

OK, so it one book per person per week? No matter how many books you can read?

Do we need to decide upfront who's reading what (who's reading hit square) or it can be along the way? Let's say person A is reading hit, but for some reason can't finish the book, but person B did read right book (going for sloop?) can that book/person be used? And do we have to report who's reading what?

We can use any genre shown up in GR for book or just those on main book page?

message 28: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Feb 12, 2014 10:06AM) (new)

❀ Oo ❀ wrote: "Must a team collectively read the required genres, or will it be that each person in a team can focus/be assigned to read a particular genre ?"

Only ONE team member has to read the challenge genre to shield the team from a "hit."

What the other team members do is a team strategy each team needs to work out for themselves.

message 29: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Feb 12, 2014 10:05AM) (new)

❀ Oo ❀ wrote: "Will there be team threads like there were for the Tower Comp i.e. a Moonstone thread and a Mango Tango thread etc"

Yes. Start thinking of names for your battleships.

message 30: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Feb 12, 2014 08:53AM) (new)

❀Tea❀ wrote: "The more I read, I get more confused.
(Sorry if I'm repeating from before.)

OK, so it one book per person per week? No matter how many books you can read?

Correct. I am still mulling over ❀Oo❀'s inquiry as to whether a team member may start one book one week and finish it the next -- if it is NOT the challenged genre, and they (that team member) don't have another book "banked" elsewhere. I'll let you know when I make up my mind. Of course, this wouldn't work for the last week of the challenge.

❀Tea❀ wrote: "Do we need to decide upfront who's reading what (who's reading hit square) or it can be along the way? Let's say person A is reading hit, but for some reason can't finish the book, but person B did read right book (going for sloop?) can that book/person be used? And do we have to report who's reading what?

This is a strategy issue and will be up to each team to decide. However, if no one reads that genre that week, your team takes a "hit." EDIT: No reporting until Midnight before the next "firing on" is called.

❀Tea❀ wrote: "We can use any genre shown up in GR for book or just those on main book page?"

Any genre, any page, as long as there are 10 'tags' for that genre. I will be making a "Genre Review" thread, just in case someone has an ARE (Advanced Reader's Edition) or has any other type of genre question.

message 31: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 5136 comments Post 34 helped me get this a whole lot better. Basically when we get targeted we, as a team, decide who will read a book for that week and maybe a back up or two just in case. And then we also as a team decide if we want to read for a Salvo.

And it appears that the genre name doesn't need to be exact per post 26: if "fiction" is our genre we can read a book shelved as Adult Fiction or Women's Fiction etc.., (although I expect most of those will also have a "fiction" shelf but you never know).

message 32: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "Post 34 helped me get this a whole lot better. Basically when we get targeted we, as a team, decide who will read a book for that week and maybe a back up or two just in case. And then we also as a team decide if we want to read for a Salvo."

Correct. (Glad #34 helped, Mary: HD♥L.)

Mary: Harry Dresden's Love Slave wrote: "And it appears that the genre name doesn't need to be exact per post 26: if "fiction" is our genre we can read a book shelved as Adult Fiction or Women's Fiction etc.., (although I expect most of those will also have a "fiction" shelf but you never know)."

Correct to some extent. We don't want people getting to wild and crazy with the genre interpretation. When in doubt, check a book in the Genre Questions, Reviews, & Double-Checks thread.

message 33: by Sera (last edited Feb 12, 2014 12:51PM) (new)

Sera (seracatty) I'm a in a different time-zone. Is this team challenge that time specific (as in several hours to do a certain task) that it's impossible for me to do? I think I'm 9 or 10 hours ahead. So midnight for most people here, is about 9 or 10 in the morning for me.

Maybe it's a stupid question, but I'd hate to be thrown out afterwards because I couldn't do something at a certain time.

message 34: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Cécile wrote: "I'm a in a different time-zone. Is this team challenge that time specific..."

You'll have a whole week to read your book, Cécile. The only thing that is really very time specific is that a team will have to let another team know - at a specific time once a week - which square/genre they are being "fired upon". Well, an reading your book before it is due, too.

message 35: by Eni (last edited Feb 12, 2014 07:39PM) (new)

Eni | 2174 comments I think we should all name our battleship teams with My Little Pony names!

- Twilight Sparkle
- Applejack
- Fluttershy
- Rarity
- Pinkie Pie
- Rainbow Dash

Full List

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5216 comments Just on Cecile's question about players not in US time zones - if you are allocated to read the book and you do, do you have to post finished to deflect the hit at a precise time? Can your Captain or another team member post for you if the time zones don't line up?

message 37: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Just on Cecile's question about players not in US time zones - if you are allocated to read the book and you do, do you have to post finished to deflect the hit at a precise time? Can your Captain or another team member post for you if the time zones don't line up?"

No, you do not have to post AT a precise time. The Captain, or a designated team member, may post as soon as the genre book is finished, or any time before the due time. Make sure the person who read the book has it marked as “read” on their read bookshelf.

message 38: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

We will designate team assignments by letters of the alphabet, going backwards from "Z" - then you all may change your team name. Team names are up to the individual team members.

message 39: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

❀ Oo ❀ wrote: "I'm ten hours ahead of San Jose time. Does that mean that I'll start on my Saturday (your Friday) or are you counting it from Friday morning your time, whereby it will start Friday evening my time?"

You would start Friday evening, ❀Oo❀. Everyone uses the international clock as the count down, which is by San Jose, CA time.

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 5216 comments Moderators of Nothing but Reading Challenges (All the Mods) wrote: "Lisa - (Aussie Girl) wrote: "Just on Cecile's question about players not in US time zones - if you are allocated to read the book and you do, do you have to post finished to deflect the hit at a ..."

Good one. Thank you.

message 41: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2215 comments Moderators of Nothing but Reading Challenges (All the Mods) wrote: "Vicky wrote: "When we bank books do we bank the book or the genre we read it for? As an example, let's say I read Bitten as a SLOOP for Urban Fantasy. The next week, my team get a hit on Fantasy. Can I defend the Fantasy hit by cashing in Bitten or do I have to save it to use as Urban Fantasy?"

Yes, "bank" the book. In other words, you may use it for any genre it applies. "

Now that I've been thinking about this some more, I'm a bit confused. Banking the book makes sense for a SLOOP, but what about a SALVO?

If we can only bank one book for the SALVO - do we have to pick one that we can use later or can we have them both on standby and then choose between them when we cash in on the genre?

message 42: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

For SALVOS you may have them both on standby, if you wish, and choose between them later to cash in on a genre for which one fits.

Turtlecollector Dennis | 1164 comments Now I am little confused. Here is how I was interpreting it:

A 4 person team is fired upon twice. Two of the members are reading a Nonfiction and Mystery book to cover those spots, one book each.

The other two members decide to both read a Paranormal book to earn a salvo.

This is banked as one 'SALVO-Paranormal'.

Next week, the team is fired upon and lands on Paranormal. The banked 'SALVO-Paranormal' will cover that space and a book is not necessary.

There is no need to choose between books read to cover the space read. Those books read last week will only count as part of that specific salvo. They can't be used for a different genre.

Or, do you mean that the books read could possibly qualify for more than one genre and how to decide which genre to bank?

message 44: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Turtlecollector wrote: "Now I am little confused. Here is how I was interpreting it:

A 4 person team is fired upon twice. Two of the members are reading a Nonfiction and Mystery book to cover those spots, one book each."

Good so far.

Turtlecollector wrote: "The other two members decide to both read a Paranormal book to earn a salvo."

Still good.

Turtlecollector wrote: "This is banked as one 'SALVO-Paranormal'."

Yes.

Turtlecollector wrote: "Next week, the team is fired upon and lands on Paranormal. The banked 'SALVO-Paranormal' will cover that space and a book is not necessary.:

Fine.

Turtlecollector wrote: "There is no need to choose between books read to cover the space read."

True.

Turtlecollector wrote: "Those books read last week will only count as part of that specific salvo. They can't be used for a different genre."

No. We'll allow you to 'convert' your books to another genre, if they've been 'tagged'/shelved that way.

Turtlecollector wrote: "Or, do you mean that the books read could possibly qualify for more than one genre and how to decide which genre to bank?"

You may change your mind, even after banking the point, as to which genre you want it to apply.

Turtlecollector Dennis | 1164 comments Okay, that does make sense to me. as long as both books read qualify for the same genre(s), you can choose which one to use for the salvo, after you bank it and/or when you need to use it.

So captain's can keep a list of which genres the books match with for a later decision on genre, but can only be used for one genre.

message 46: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

You got it, T! ☺

message 47: by Sheila (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) I've read the info twice and still aren't quite clear on this. In your example of C-5” for Current Best Seller who reads that genre, the team firing or the team fired upon? And just because C-5 is cbs on your teams card doesn't mean it is c-5 on your opponents card. What does the opponent read, whatever genre it hits or reader's choice if it is a miss?

message 48: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Mar 01, 2014 09:10AM) (new)

Okay, for simplicity's sake let's just say that you, Sonia, and I (Lisa Kay) are playing this game.

You are assigned by Mission Control (MC) to fire on me. Your hit lands on my CBS square, so I have to read a book from that genre.

MC tells Sonia to fire on you, but the location she chooses is blank. You then get "Reader's Choice."

MC tells me to fire on Sonia, and I hit "Mystery-Cozy." She has to read a book from that genre.

Yes, all teams have different cards. It is a guessing game... and a bit of luck.

message 49: by Sheila (last edited Mar 01, 2014 09:23AM) (new)

Sheila (sheilaj) OK I believe I get it now. The only thing that determines where I fire is where my team thinks a "ship" will be parked.

AND

The only thing that determines what my team reads is the spot that another team hits when they fire upon us.

Right?

message 50: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Correct on both counts, Sheila.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6