Olive Kitteridge (Olive Kitteridge, #1) Olive Kitteridge discussion

HBO series!

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jeri Paull Not sure when, but Frances McDormand is playing Olive, and the rest of the cast is amazing, also. Can't wait to see this!

Karen Really? That is great news. Is the trailer out?

Thanks for posting this. I haven't seen anything on this yet.

Jeri Paull I just read a blurb that Bill Murray had been cast as Jack Kennison and then hit IMDB to read more. Richard Jenkins plays her husband.

Linda Mahkovec I loved this book - and I look forward to seeing the series. Thanks for the update.
Agnes Irene

Jeff Much is made in the book about Olive being a big woman. I'm a big fan of Frances McDormand but I'm wondering how she can portray that part of the novel.

CindySR#tsundoku Jeff wrote: "Much is made in the book about Olive being a big woman. I'm a big fan of Frances McDormand but I'm wondering how she can portray that part of the novel."

I agree, she's tiny! If only Bea Arthur was still around and younger. Who else might be a good Olive?

Jeff Cindy wrote: "Jeff wrote: "Much is made in the book about Olive being a big woman. I'm a big fan of Frances McDormand but I'm wondering how she can portray that part of the novel."

I agree, she's tiny! If only..."

Bea Arthur would be perfect!

Jennifer Cindy wrote: "Jeff wrote: "Much is made in the book about Olive being a big woman. I'm a big fan of Frances McDormand but I'm wondering how she can portray that part of the novel."

I agree, she's tiny! If only..."

Kathy Bates?

Jeff Jennifer wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Jeff wrote: "Much is made in the book about Olive being a big woman. I'm a big fan of Frances McDormand but I'm wondering how she can portray that part of the novel."

I agree, she's ..."

Margo Martindale

CindySR#tsundoku Jeff wrote: "Margo Martindale "
Good choice, I wonder how tall she is.

Phyllis Azar Loved this book. Have been waiting for something like it ever since. Please recommend!

cdundas I could definitely see Francis McDormand as Olive. She may not be large physically, but she can carry the role with her acting.

Gabriela Popa I loved the book. Hope I will like the misiseries as well...

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Hmmmm.... HBO. I guess I will wait for the DVD's. But great news anyway. Thanks for posting.

Piper Templeton I'm looking forward to this also. I hope the filmmakers capture the subtleties and internalizing that made the book so special. Considering the great cast, I think they're off to a good start. I did read that Francis McDormand gained weight to play Olive.

What attracted me to the book was the format - a novel told in short stories.

message 16: by Faye (new) - rated it 4 stars

Faye This is great news I loved the book, will be curious to see how they extend the series beyond the initial short stories.

message 17: by Judy (new) - rated it 1 star

Judy Was not a fan of this book, but will be happy to see what HBO does with it.

Lynne Spreen This is the best news ever! Anybody know when it will be out?

Piper Templeton All I've heard is "later this year" on HBO. I hope we get a firm date soon. I don't get HBO, but I'm sure I'll be able to stream it, or get the DVD.

Lynne Spreen Thanks, Piper.

Bridget OMG. Thanks for posting. I did not know, and this gives me a great excuse the re-read the book!

Tonya Bea Arthur was in my mind as I read the book! I recall Olive wasn't a small woman. I may watch it.

Wrenn1 Kathy Bates for sure would do it for me.

message 24: by Roz (new) - rated it 2 stars

Roz The series or movie will prove more interesting than the read. At least there will be some amazing scenery to relieve the boredom that was this book. I am so sorry I bought the damn thing.

message 25: by Judy (new) - rated it 1 star

Judy Couldn't agree more, Roz! Fortunately, I borrowed a copy from the library!

message 26: by Wrenn1 (last edited Aug 07, 2014 10:32AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wrenn1 This,was the best book i have read in a long time. I don't think it can be made better by making it a movie or tv series. Definitely pulitzer stuff

Piper Templeton I read today that the HBO film screened at a film festival in Italy and that it will debut on HBO in early November as a four-hour miniseries.

Cheers!
Piper

message 28: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee Count me with those who loved this book. Olive is truly the archtype New England woman, big, raw-boned, clumsy, speaking her mind no matter what the outcome. She is brilliantly drawn by Elizabeth Strout iin these stories. Can't wait to see the tv series -- Frances McDormant, though petite, is a great pick to portray Olive!

Linda I loved this book too. My library book group is reading it in October and I will love discussing it with them. Looking forward to the mini series. Thank you for the information.

message 31: by Alice (last edited Oct 13, 2014 05:47PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alice "Olive Kitteridge" remains one of my favorite books as does "Amy and Isabelle." Just heard the news. Frances McDormant's a great choice.

Olive was a woman who I found irritatingly judgmental and overbearing. Even her own son said about her, “You can make people feel terrible.” She was a complicated, not always likable person, who by the end of the book I believed was a great deal like me.

message 32: by Linda (last edited Oct 13, 2014 07:29PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Linda I always felt embarrassed for Olive for some reason and it hit an emotional nerve for me. One incident that sticks in my mind is when her husband brought his new clerk and her husband home for dinner. Olive pretty much refused until he said that he had to do it as it was only right. She served them pork and beans with ketchup and vanilla ice cream. I defy you find anything easier than a can of beans!!

Alice Jeri wrote: "Not sure when, but Frances McDormand is playing Olive, and the rest of the cast is amazing, also. Can't wait to see this!"

Jeff wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Jeff wrote: "Much is made in the book about Olive being a big woman. I'm a big fan of Frances McDormand but I'm wondering how she can portray that part of the novel."

I agree, she's ..."

Thanks for posting this, as I had not heard the news. One of my favorite books! Wonder if Elizabeth Strout will write the screen play.

Alice Jeri wrote: "Not sure when, but Frances McDormand is playing Olive, and the rest of the cast is amazing, also. Can't wait to see this!"

Jeff wrote: "Cindy wrote: "Jeff wrote: "Much is made in the book about Olive being a big woman. I'm a big fan of Frances McDormand but I'm wondering how she can portray that part of the novel."

I agree, she's ..."

Thanks for posting this, as I had not heard the news. One of my favorite books! Wonder if Elizabeth Strout will write the screen play.

I agree, she's ..."

Alice Linda wrote: "I always felt embarrassed for Olive for some reason and it hit an emotional nerve for me. One incident that sticks in my mind is when her husband brought his new clerk and her husband home for dinn..."

Linda, Interesting that you felt embarrassed for the character. Can you write more about the emotional nerve it touched by serving what she did?

Alice Jeri wrote: "I just read a blurb that Bill Murray had been cast as Jack Kennison and then hit IMDB to read more. Richard Jenkins plays her husband."

Jeri, How surprising to read that Bill Murray will be in the film. His performances always seem to have a base of anger beneath the surface. I can't remember the character of Jack Kennison. Is he an angry man?

Alice Piper wrote: "I'm looking forward to this also. I hope the filmmakers capture the subtleties and internalizing that made the book so special. Considering the great cast, I think they're off to a good start. I..."

I agree, Piper. The stories can almost stand alone, but together they make an even better whole. We see Olive as a fuller character, one with complexity that I disliked, judged and then embraced.

Alice Lee wrote: "Count me with those who loved this book. Olive is truly the archtype New England woman, big, raw-boned, clumsy, speaking her mind no matter what the outcome. She is brilliantly drawn by Elizabeth..."

Absolutely agree with you, Lee, but Olive could live in New York City, Brooklyn, Chicago, and even here in South Pasadena! Don't we all know clumsy, outspoken, judgmental people wherever we live?

message 40: by Jan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jan Even Jeri wrote: "Not sure when, but Frances McDormand is playing Olive, and the rest of the cast is amazing, also. Can't wait to see this!"
The official web site (http://www.hbo.com/olive-kitteridge#/) says it starts Nov. 2. Can't wait!

Piper Templeton I thought the HBO miniseries was excellent! Frances McDormand's portrayal of Olive was as close to perfection as one can get. Really, all of the performances were first rate. The settings, the music, the atmosphere -- five stars!

Alice Piper wrote: "I thought the HBO miniseries was excellent! Frances McDormand's portrayal of Olive was as close to perfection as one can get. Really, all of the performances were first rate. The settings, the m..."

Watched three episodes last night and I agree—they actually got it right. Doesn't happen often. Can't wait to get into bed and watch Episode Four.

Jaksen I'm a New Englander and I'm NOT big, raw-boned or anything at all (I hope) like Olive. However, I knew women like her and yes, opinionated and close-minded are both an understatement. Try being a teenaged girl in the 1960's walking in on a group of your mother's friends and you're wearing a mini-skirt. Yep, yep, the stares were enough all by themselves. They didn't have to say a word.

Victoria Elaine Custer Just watched the miniseries. Binge watched, of course, because I loved this book. Loved it. I felt like they got everything right, but mostly the feel of it all. The music, the layout. Haunting, empty, cold, but also that crazy deep sympathy and complexity. It wasn't satisfying to me, but it was enjoyable.

Laura I watched the series over the holidays on HBO Canada, and I enjoyed it immensely. The performances were brilliant, and the scenery breathtaking. I had never been a huge fan of Frances McDormand, but she was excellent as Olive --domineering, forbidding, opinionated, but most importantly, heroic. I thoroughly enjoyed Richard Jenkins, Bill Murray, and Zoe Kazan in their roles as well.

Piper Templeton I'm curious, Laura, on what makes you see Olive as, most importantly, heroic? She's such a layered, complex character. I find her so interesting character. "Heroic" never came to mind in my assessment of her, but I like to discover other views of her. Thanks!

Laura Piper wrote: "I'm curious, Laura, on what makes you see Olive as, most importantly, heroic? She's such a layered, complex character. I find her so interesting character. "Heroic" never came to mind in my asse..."

Hi Piper, I see her as heroic simply by the pragmatic way she tackles her day-to-day activities, from tending to her flowerbeds and scrubbing the fridge to comforting her asthmatic son and caring for her catatonic husband...
I find her to be vital and necessary to the small-town stories around her. As bitter and as cruel as she may come across, Olive isn't someone the reader hates. Rather, she is someone who persists in her struggles, keeps marching forward, and never gives up on anyone --not Kevin, not her husband, not the dog, not anyone...
I find that Olive is a survivor. Unlike so many of those around her, she does not give up on life, and that, to me, is heroic.

Piper Templeton Thanks, Laura. I agree with your assessment of her; especially the fact that she never gives up on anyone.