MashableReads discussion

MashReads > Introduce Yourself

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MJ (new)

MJ Franklin (heyitsfranklin2) | 63 comments Mod
Welcome to the MashableReads Social Book Club. Each month we will explore the best of contemporary literature by reading a recently released book, concluding the month with a discussion with the book's author.

Tell us about yourself! What kind of books do you like to read? What are you reading now? We can't wait to meet you all! Happy reading!

message 2: by Nora (new)

Nora Grenfell (nora_grenfell) | 13 comments Mod
Hi all! I'm Nora. I majored in Comparative Literature in college and I love Russian lit, Borges and 19th cent chick lit (and I'm not ashamed of it). But I'll read pretty much anything.

The MashableReads book club has been the most reading I've done since college, and I'm so excited to keep reading with everyone!

message 3: by Elisha (new)

Elisha Hartwig (elishahartwig) | 4 comments Mod
Hey! I'm Elisha, I majored in English Literature and Spanish Literature in college and my favorite author is Haruki Murakami. I just finished reading The Secret History by Donna Tartt and it was one of the best books I've read in years!!

Just started Radiance of Tomorrow, and I love it so far!

message 4: by MJ (new)

MJ Franklin (heyitsfranklin2) | 63 comments Mod
Hi! I'm MJ. I majored in English Literature in college, focusing on modern American and British literature. My taste in books is pretty eclectic though. Currently, I am in a creative non-fiction phase, reading lots of essays, some of my favorite writers being David Rackoff, David Sedaris, and Joan Didion. But I also love reading all sorts of fiction, including everything from Virginia Woolf to Game of Thrones.

I've read a ton of great books since joining MashableReads and I can't wait to discover more amazing contemporary authors with you all.

message 5: by Madeleine (new)

Madeleine (madgold) | 12 comments Mod
Hello MashableReads! I'm Madeleine. Although I did not major in English Literature in college, I did take an English class...

I didn't have many opportunities to read for leisure during college because I always told myself that I should be reading my required books instead of taking time to read for fun. I am excited to have the opportunity now to read new books and talk about them with all of you and with the authors.

I have been gravitating towards non-fiction recently but I am glad MashableReads will push me towards reading new things that I wouldn't have picked up on my own. I am looking forward to discussing Radiance of Tomorrow, I am almost finished with it!

message 6: by Ami (new)

Ami (amiwithani) | 1 comments Hi all! I'm Ami--I work at Goodreads, and I love what Mashable Reads has done so far. I tend to read a lot of literary fiction, but I also love comics and YA and mysteries. (I have a soft spot for anything with zombies, too, I must confess.) Excited to talk about books with you all!

message 7: by Zachary (new)

Zachary Lincoln (zachary_lincoln) | 1 comments Hello! I'm Zachary! I'm currently a full time student with a passion for fiction writing. I love reading Fantasy and Science Fiction style books, but for the most part I read anything so long as I can connect with it. Quite excited for discussions with you all!

message 8: by Lucy (new)

Lucy Roy (lucyroy) | 1 comments Hi! I'm Noelyn. I'm currently finishing up my English degree and I hope to continue on to get my MA in writing next year. I've recently gotten into doing book reviews on here and my blog, and it's given me the opportunity to discover some great new books. I'm always excited to find new things to read and I'm looking forward to getting some suggestions here!

message 9: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 3 comments Hi I'm Andrew. I'm a biology major. I have always read for as long as I can remember. I'm open to reading just about anything and I figured this would be a good way to discover new books. When do we find out what the book is for March?

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisalorenzino) Hello! I am Lisa. I work in the medical profession as a nurse. I love mysteries and Southern literature, but am looking forward to discovering new books with all of you!

message 11: by Chihoe (new)

Chihoe Ho (chihoeho) Hi, I'm Chihoe. I work for a Canadian book retailer. Fiction draws me in more but I wouldn't turn down a good Non-Fiction book. I love sharing books through my reviews or word-of-mouth, and I'm looking forward to seeing what recommendations I can get from you all!

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 2 comments Hello. Im Jessica. I majored in business and am a very inconsistent reader. When i do read, I enjoy it because i find that no matter what type of book i read, it always offers me a time of self-reflection. The Harry Potter series was my childhood (and then some) but i enjoy all genres. I love all the content that comes out of mashable.com ... So cheers to more reading & thinking!

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (meeshmush) | 1 comments Hey everyone! I'm Michelle and I currently work at St. Martin's Press. I majored in English at Niagara University, and I'm working on my graduate degree in publishing at NYU (only a few more weeks to go!!). I love reading comics, literary fiction, and epic sci-fi fantasy.

message 14: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Hi, I'm Silvana, from Jakarta, Indonesia. Been following Mashable in Twitter and pleasantly surprised that it has a book club.

My favorite genres are fantasy and history. Would love to have more recommendation.

message 15: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 2 comments Hellooo, My name is Carrie and I live in British Columbia in Canada. I'm a postie and I check the new york times bestseller list, Chapters top 50, and other sources for new books to put on my E-Reader. It is my most favourite thing in the world. I cross check interesting books with Goodreads to get all the info I need. I love History,Fiction and Crime novels with a secret indulgence of Young Adult. (The fault in our stars eh?) haha

message 16: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo Hiya I'm Donna (Donna Jo or DJ. I enjoy reading romance, romantc suspence, chick lit, mystery, thrillers, YA, contemp, almost anything as long as it doesn't have alot of history or horror also don't read much bio. I've been reading and reveiving books for 2 different bookstores also for a publishing co. The ones for the bookstores I mostly pick myself out of their arcs so sometimes I pick things I normally wouldn't read. I belong to a bookclub but reallyhaven't been reading the books lately with summer being here. I'm in NJ so alot of weekends are going to the shore. I'm going to try and read the book that is picked each month if I can get my hands on it. I'm a real book (DT dead tree) and the ereader. I have 3 nooks (counting my original one, my tablet and my simple touch which I got that to be able to read outside or on the beach) I try and read one real book and one ebook all the time but lately it's a few of each going on at the same time. I have to get a better system. I'm at 110 finished for so far for the year. I think I might be alittle behind from last years total at this time.
I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and talking books, etc.

message 17: by Maureen (new)

Maureen | 8 comments Hi, my name is Maureen and I love to read literature. I read most anything but prefer fiction, and I don't like horror, fantasy or sci-fi. I am a retired English teacher and enjoyed discussing books with my students and colleagues. I am looking forward to new adventures with this book club.

message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Siefkas (heidisiefkas) | 1 comments Aloha! I'm Heidi Siefkas, Author and Adventurer. I live in Kauai, but I'm originally from Wisconsin. I'm about to release my inspirational memoir, When All Balls Drop: The Upside of Losing Everything Sept 2nd. I'd love for the group to choose my true story of survival and life change for your fall reads. Here's to looking up!

message 19: by Genevieve (new)

Genevieve (genevievedeguzman) | 23 comments Hey folks, I'm Genevieve. Anyone from Portland, OR here? My reading tastes veer all over the place. I like literary fiction, particularly books that are structurally complex (think Cloud Atlas or The Luminaries), but I'm also a big genre fan, particularly science fiction and urban fantasy. I adore writers that can tow the high brow/low brow line and straddle the two. Neal Stephenson, David Mitchell, and Margaret Atwood do this really well. I'm also a big devourer of nonfiction books, particularly those that focus on creativity or entrepreneurship.

In my day job as a book editor, I run a small, indie publishing imprint, Night Owls Press. I look forward to some meaty book discussions here!

message 20: by Erica (new)

Erica (erica_badu) Hello, I'm Erica. I love fiction books and anything with a touch of a magical element (holdover from the Harry Potter days). I'm looking forward to branching out and discovering new titles through this book club and being able to discuss afterwards. Thanks MashableReads!

message 21: by Nora (new)

Erica Badu wrote: "Hello, I'm Erica. I love fiction books and anything with a touch of a magical element (holdover from the Harry Potter days). I'm looking forward to branching out and discovering new titles throug..."

Welcome Erica! Thanks for joining the group.

message 22: by Nora (new)

Genevieve wrote: "Hey folks, I'm Genevieve. Anyone from Portland, OR here? My reading tastes veer all over the place. I like literary fiction, particularly books that are structurally complex (think [book:Cloud Atla..."

Hi Genevieve, thanks for joining! Based on what you wrote in your introduction, I think you're going to be VERY happy with our next (October) MashReads selection ;)

message 23: by Erica (new)

Erica (erica_badu) Nora wrote: "Erica Badu wrote: "Hello, I'm Erica. I love fiction books and anything with a touch of a magical element (holdover from the Harry Potter days). I'm looking forward to branching out and discoverin..."

Nora,

Happy to be a part of the group and anxiously awaiting our next book!

message 24: by Nora (new)

Erica Badu wrote: "Nora wrote: "Erica Badu wrote: "Hello, I'm Erica. I love fiction books and anything with a touch of a magical element (holdover from the Harry Potter days). I'm looking forward to branching out a..."

Hi Erica! Hope you saw the announcement of our next book! http://mashable.com/2014/10/11/margar...

message 25: by Erica (new)

Erica (erica_badu) I did! Very excited and impatiently waiting for the local library book to be available!

Nora wrote: "Erica Badu wrote: "Nora wrote: "Erica Badu wrote: "Hello, I'm Erica. I love fiction books and anything with a touch of a magical element (holdover from the Harry Potter days). I'm looking forward..."

message 26: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (aesgray) | 2 comments Hi, I'm Andrea, and I'm in Boston. I'm a fan of most things Mashable and was pleased to learn about its book group, as I'm always looking for new and interesting material.

My tastes are varied, but what I typically gravitate toward tends to be memoir-y, non-fictiony, or journalism-y/observational. I enjoy fiction, especially if it's rooted somewhat in history and/or reality and if the voice is right. I don't love fantasy, but I do love science - and I like sci-fi, as long as the technology name-dropping isn't too ham-fisted. Topically, I like to read about exploration and adventure (leading to just about anything from bicycle rides across continents and the history of the opening of the American West to Cheryl Strayed's Wild), and wry observations of random topics (like, Mary Roach's oeuvre).

As far as authors go, I think my favorite voice at present is Kate Atkinson. I love Stegner and have recently discovered how much I like Edward Abbey's writing style. I just finished reading all of Jon Ronson's books, which I enjoyed heartily. I like Steinbeck and but also Stephen King (and for this I will not apologize).

message 27: by Bradley (last edited Nov 04, 2015 08:49AM) (new)

Bradley | 1 comments Glad to meet you, Andrea :)

message 28: by Man (new)

Man (msangerman) | 2 comments Looking for a GREAT adventure book? Try "Impressions of Africa by Raymond Roussel which was written in either the late 1800's or early 1900's. A truly amazing book.