Book Haven discussion

Dead Discussions > Favorite books from School

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments One that sticks out from High School is A Tale of Two Cities

And in Junior High I really enjoyed The Giver and The Outsiders

message 2: by Chasidy (new)

Chasidy I think the only book I actually enjoyed reading in High School was Hamlet.

Michelle (In Libris Veritas) (shadowrose) From high school the two that stand out the most are:
Wuthering Heights
Sophie's World

The only time I truly had required reading was in high school, we had a few in middle but they aren't worth mentioning.

message 4: by new_user (new)

new_user The Giver, The Outsiders, for sure. Did you ever read That Was Then, This Is Now? It was so sad. Also, Shane. Classic. Shane is very much a hero.

I also liked Wuthering Heights and The Scarlet Letter.

message 5: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments I didn't fully appreciate Shakespeare until college, where I had to take a whole course on him. Now I think he's brilliant. I really like Twelfth Night, Hamlet(except I got a little Hamletted out when I had to do an editing project on it) and The Tempest

I did read 'That was Then, This is Now' very good, but very sad.

message 6: by Chasidy (new)

Chasidy I enjoyed Wuthering Heights also. It wasn't a mandatory read but I read it in junior high as a book report and I remember my teacher thinking I was crazy to be reading a book like that.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments I also really enjoyed The Things They Carried, which I didn't expect to like at all.

message 8: by J.D. (new)

message 9: by new_user (new)

new_user I found her second book much more powerful, Joy, although I warn you, be prepared for depression, LOL.

message 11: by LaTrica (new)

LaTrica Macbeth was fun, mostly because the teacher would assign us parts to read out loud during class. Then we would discuss the culture and language. My classmates and teachers made it fun.

message 12: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrilovescrows) | 188 comments Of Human Bondage, The Sound and the Fury, Childhood's End, BRave NEw World

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie This is the only book that I really remember reading in Middle School Across Five Aprils

message 14: by new_user (new)

new_user Oh, Roald Dahl is awesome. I still think he has a wonderful imagination. It's great that kids have books like his to capture their imaginations.

message 15: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments I really enjoyed reading Roald Dahl in grade school. One of our teachers read The BFG, which I remember liking, but don't remember all the plot points anymore. My favorite by him wasn't actually a school read, but is wonderful none the less, Matilda. However, I remember not caring for James and the Giant Peach when it was read to us in class, but maybe I missed something.

message 16: by SoBeA (new)

SoBeA (sobe1982) | 39 comments I think Fitzgerald's Great Gatsby was already mentioned, but I read it my sophomore year of high school, and loved it, while everyone I knew hated it.

Others that I loved were The woman Warrior , which I read both for Highschool and college, and being first generation American, I could really connect to, Emma, in my last year of high school (and okay, it wasn't until after I found out Clueless was based on it, that I gave it a chance) Family by Pa Chin which I read in college and Ender's Game which my sister had to read for highschool english when she was a freshmen, and loved it so much, she said I absolutely had to read it. Which I did, and then followed it with the rest of the series.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I liked all the pulpy type stuff that was supernatural such as Edgar Allen Poe, Hawthorne, The Most Dangerous Game, The Lady or the Tiger, etc.

I love The Scarlet Letter. I thought it was brilliant. (I guess some think it's sexist but I think it was very pro-woman in its message).

I loved and still love To Kill a Mockingbird. I wanted to marry and/or have Atticus Finch as my dad. I love Shakespeare but I have trouble understanding it if I read it without help from an instructor (I can be honest about my shortcomings. :) I didn't get The Tempest until we discussed it in class and then I loved it. I understood Othello very well and it was very effective though tragic. I didn't like Romeo and Juliet much. I love to watch dramatizations of Taming of the Shrew.

message 18: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL, Danielle, those aren't pulpy! Those are classics. I love those.

I wouldn't really see Scarlet Letter as sexist. The only evidence I could see to support that argument would be that Hester was the seducer instead of the reverse-- and even that you can interpret as Hawthorne simply flipping a popular device, as he very much liked to do (e.g. in the introduction, US symbol of the eagle; Hawthorne replaces the olive branch with bolts of lightning and arrows). You can see why he was so ahead of his time.

In fact, I think Hawthorne is more empowering than many authors of his time. He made Hester a passionate woman and exalted her for it, when decades later in real time, society still didn't believe women should have any passion in any sense.

/rant xD

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) new_user wrote: "LOL, Danielle, those aren't pulpy! Those are classics. I love those.

I wouldn't really see Scarlet Letter as sexist. The only evidence I could see to support that argument would be that Hester was..."

That's how I see Hawthorne. Also he showed Hester as the one unafraid to stand up against the hypocrisy of her society and how woman are demonized for the same 'sins' that are ignored in men.

message 20: by new_user (new)

new_user Exactly. :) Though not without her own flaws, Hester definitely had some heroic points.

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments In high school and junior high we had to read quite a bit of Edgar Allan Poe and he definitely sticks with you. He gets you to feel almost in tune with such dark characters. Plus I think the length of his stuff is great for a teenagers attention span.

Romeo and Juliet I liked once I took a Shakespeare class and really delved into the story. However, what I really don't like is what others do with the story, making it seem like this wonderfully ideal love story, if only they hadn't died in the end.

message 22: by new_user (new)

new_user LOL, the funny thing is that it's not really ideal at all. xD Romeo was pretty fickle and a little shallow. "Oh, Rosaline! Why have thou forsake-- oh, damn, who's that?"

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments new_user wrote: "LOL, the funny thing is that it's not really ideal at all. xD Romeo was pretty fickle and a little shallow. "Oh, Rosaline! Why have thou forsake-- oh, damn, who's that?""

Exactly!! And the balcony scene wasn't exactly a getting to know you conversation. If they hadn't killed themselves they probably would have been looking for a divorce.

message 24: by Danielle The Book Huntress (last edited Jul 09, 2009 01:46PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) NU and Lisa Anne, you sound very cynical about Romeo and Juliet, but you're probably right. I thought it was horribly silly. Oddly enough, Othello moved me more than Romeo and Juliet. I do believe that Othello loved Desdemona but he was driven mad by Iago's sly insinuations and his own insecurities.

message 25: by new_user (new)

new_user I didn't really know what to think about Othello. Either he was commenting on racism or he was just racist, LOL.

message 26: by Danielle The Book Huntress (last edited Jul 09, 2009 02:17PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) My thoughts is he was commenting on racism. And also how a strong, capable person can be destroyed by the weaknesses in their personality. I'm not a literature critic type but that's what I got out of the play. I can't see Shakespeare as a bigot.

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments He also has very interesting insight into racism and colonialism in The Tempest. I read this in a class that was focused only on Shakespeare though so I'm not sure I would have been able to get the same things out of it on my own.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I didn't understand The Tempest at all. When we talked about it, the lightbulb came on. I was like, That's cool!

message 29: by new_user (new)

new_user It's in a lot of his stuff, The Merchant of Venice being one of them, so he's either one or the other, LOL. I wouldn't have a hard time believing him a racist considering his setting.

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) I haven't read Merchant of Venice but I don't think that he's racist because he didn't show Othello in a stereotypical way. Actually Iago was portrayed as the real beast IMHO. I don't doubt that his work reflected the attitudes of his times. The fact that many of his works are outside of England shows that he did have an open mind about other cultures and wasn't a xenophobe. I may not know enough about Shakespeare to really say though.

message 31: by new_user (new)

new_user Hm, but he did show Othello in a stereotypical way. It was the dark man and his brute passions, remember? Prone to violence, etc.,

message 32: by Danielle The Book Huntress (last edited Jul 09, 2009 06:36PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress  (gatadelafuente) Hm. I didn't find him stereotypical. But it's been a while since I read it. He might have been emotional but he was intelligent and eloquent and stately. Certainly not what I would consider stereotypical of a person of color.

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 617 comments In regards to The Merchant of Venice while Shylock is portrayed in a negative way he is also the one who says the famous "if you prick us do we not bleed" speech. I think this shows that while Shakespeare knew his audience he was also trying to open them up a bit as well.

message 34: by new_user (new)

new_user Did anyone read The Pigman in school? That was a great one.

message 35: by stormhawk (new)

stormhawk | 1184 comments I may be one of a very small group of people that enjoyed Lord of the Flies.

1984 - George Orwell
Cat's Cradle - Kurt Vonnegut
The Lion, the Witch, and The Wardrobe - C.S. Lewis
Jonathon Livingston Seagull - Richard Bach
Hamlet
Jane Eyre (which I did not like when forced to read it in school, but enjoyed many times afterward)

Reading Jonathon Swift's A Modest Proposal warped me early on.

message 36: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (ontariogal) | 47 comments I also love Roald Dahl books. A teacher read "The Witches" to us one year, loved it. I read James and the Giant Peach and loved it too. There are quite a few great books by him.

In grade 11 we read Lord of the Flies and A Separate Peace. I definitely preferred Lord of the Flies, so you're not alone Stormhawk.

I didn't read the Narnia series in school, but I did on my own. I have all 7 books, and read and re-read them so many times the pages are falling off. I loved them and cannot wait to read them to my kids when they're old enough.

message 37: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jnhart) Some of the books I read for school are: The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton (absolutely love this book), A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens , Julius Caesar (Folger Shakespeare Library) by William Shakespeare

Books I read for myself while in school:
Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause Insomnia by Stephen King Lord of the Flies by William Golding Animal Farm by George Orwell The Stand (Expanded Edition) by Stephen King

message 38: by Nona (last edited Feb 06, 2010 06:15AM) (new)

Nona (goodreadscomnona) | 102 comments Ray Bradbury's Farhenheit 451 and SE Hinton's Outsiders were my favorites and all the good history books.

message 39: by Em (new)

Em (emily27) | 55 comments My favorite books that I read in class were Equus by Peter Shaffer, The Awakening by Kate Chopin, and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen...

Funny thing is those are still three of my favorite books!