Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3)
This topic is about Hammered
Previous BRs - Authors; E - H > Hearne, Kevin - Hammered- (The Iron Druid Chronicles #3) March 5th, 2014

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31133 comments Mod

What is a Buddy Read?

This is an "Informal Buddy Read"

An “Informal Buddy Read” doesn’t have a discussion leader and participants are asked to consider some generic questions when making comments about the book. An example is here.

Book Synopsis
Thor, the Norse god of thunder, is worse than a blowhard and a bully—he’s ruined countless lives and killed scores of innocents. After centuries, Viking vampire Leif Helgarson is ready to get his vengeance, and he’s asked his friend Atticus O’Sullivan, the last of the Druids, to help take down this Norse nightmare.

One survival strategy has worked for Atticus for more than two thousand years: stay away from the guy with the lightning bolts. But things are heating up in Atticus’s home base of Tempe, Arizona. There’s a vampire turf war brewing, and Russian demon hunters who call themselves the Hammers of God are running rampant. Despite multiple warnings and portents of dire consequences, Atticus and Leif journey to the Norse plain of Asgard, where they team up with a werewolf, a sorcerer, and an army of frost giants for an epic showdown against vicious Valkyries, angry gods, and the hammer-wielding Thunder Thug himself.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - added it

Moderators of NBRC | 31133 comments Mod
Reserved.

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Are people actually starting this one early?

message 4: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10389 comments No Nicole, it was for reserving the slot on the buddy read calendar.

However, since is an informal buddy read... is up to you to wait or not. My schedule is so packed right now that there is no way I can start before the date :)

message 5: by Kristie (last edited Feb 27, 2014 04:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 3279 comments I just started this one yesterday. My schedule is also packed, so if I didn't start early I wouldn't have had time to get to it. :) It started out a little differently than I expected, but it's good so far. I feel like there's even more humor than usual in this one.

Vicky (librovert) | 2032 comments For anyone getting these books from Audible, Hammered is included in the BOGO sale going on through tomorrow. You can get it and any other book in the sale for 1 credit.

Lizz (Beer, Books and Boos) | 705 comments Mind if I join this buddy read. I read Hexed (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #2) by Kevin Hearne last week and I can't wait to read Hammered (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #3) by Kevin Hearne

message 8: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10389 comments Welcome Lizz! The more, the merrier!

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I'm going to have to start this one early too. Probably Monday.

Esther (nyctale) I started it last night. this one may just be abput changes... We will see..

Up to chapter 5

Ratastock (view spoiler)

The "apple" quest (view spoiler)

The story so far (view spoiler)

message 12: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 05, 2014 08:28AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments @Esther
I thought the squirrel death was too. It just shows that Atticus doesn't know everything or how people will act. Could this be a cautionary tale? Will Atticus learn anything from it?

Nope, I agree the Apple quest was not discreet.

I wasn't sure about Granuaile until this book either. In Hunted we'll get to know her better and hear her point of view about some things.

message 13: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Logan wrote: "I'm going to have to start this one early too. Probably Monday."

Did you start it? Finish it? What did you think of it? I though Hearne went a little crazy with this one where the Gods are concerned.

Kristie | 3279 comments I agree about the apple quest. I felt that (view spoiler)

I am also liking Granuaile. I wonder though (near the end)(view spoiler)

I am almost done (about 95%) and I'm hoping to finish today. I think there were many parts of this book that were very funny and I agree that Hearne went a little crazy with this one.

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I'm about 75% done now. This is a re-read for me again - I listened on audio last year during a road trip, but I never retain audiobooks so I had forgotten a lot, like the (view spoiler).

I liked that we jumped into the action right away, but this book feels more disjointed than the others. Atticus has to quickly make all of these arrangements and then go off on this strange quest that everyone is warning him will come to no good, and so much of the book leaves out my favorite characters like the widow, Granuaile, and Oberon.

The one part of the book that I HATED on audio, but ended up appreciating more while reading, was the male bonding part. On audio it went on forever and was distracting and not fun to listen to, but while reading it felt much shorter and I liked learning more about Hal and Leif.

Mostly, this book feels like a filler to me, and that it only exists to finally get over this Thor plotline and set up the whole "world is burning" stuff. I agree with Kristie that Atticus doesn't seem to be too concerned with how his actions are going to affect the people and world around him. Maybe he thinks he will once again find a loophole?

Esther (nyctale) I am at 52%. While I am still enjoying it, i am not having as much fun as with the 1st two.

I'll see how i feel when i am done, but so far, I may agree with Logan calling it a filler (as this series is new for me, i have no idea what comes next) I was thinking that he worked himself into a corner when he set the Thor plot in the previous book and now that he got there, he quite did not know what to do with it.

Kristie | 3279 comments I finished and (view spoiler) I'll definitely be continuing with the series. I have a couple things that I want to know. I find these audio books entertaining and enjoyable.

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments I think you may be right, Esther. It does feel a little like he was like, "Well I guess they fight Thor, but how do I fill a book..."

Kristie - Yes! What a cliffhanger ending. It's making it hard for me to resist picking up #4 right away.

Kristie | 3279 comments Logan wrote: "Kristie - Yes! What a cliffhanger ending. It's making it hard for me to resist picking up #4 right away. "

Me too!

Esther (nyctale) I am done.

Kristie, I have the same questions you have. I guess we will see in the next book.

Also, did you have the Granuaile's short story in your book? I was interesting to be in her head for a bit.

Kristie | 3279 comments Esther wrote: "I am done.

Kristie, I have the same questions you have. I guess we will see in the next book.

Also, did you have the Granuaile's short story in your book? I was interesting to be in her head fo..."

No, I had the audio version. I'll have to look that up!

message 22: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 09, 2014 05:35AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Esther wrote: "I am done.

Also, did you have the Granuaile's short story in your book? I was interesting to be in her head fo..."

Esther, I haven't heard that one either. What was the name?

P.S. We get into her head again in Hunted (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #6) by Kevin Hearne .

Kristie | 3279 comments Link to Granuaile's point of view story: http://www.kevinhearne.com/wp-content...

message 24: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Oh, and you will find out more about Widow McDonagh. I was very sad to see the end of her. I wish Atticus had used his ImmortalaTEA (I've only listened to the audio so have no clue how that's spelled.) on her. I think it would have been hilarious to see her age regress. I could see her being some stunning woman and turn Atticus on his ear. Oh well, I guess he has Granuaile to do that.

You know, I didn't really like Granuaile that much until Hunted. She rocks in that one.

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4855 comments I was disappointed in this one, as I felt it wasn't as fun as the other two. But I am glad the Thor storyline is (mostly) over and hopefully we can get back to having all the characters we love involved and more fun storylines. This one felt forced and too grandiose.

message 26: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 10, 2014 11:08AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Steven wrote: "I was disappointed in this one, as I felt it wasn't as fun as the other two. But I am glad the Thor storyline is (mostly) over and hopefully we can get back to having all the characters we love in..."

This was my least favorite of the ones I've read and I felt Hearne gets back on track in Trapped. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy Hammered, but not as much as the others.

Vicky (librovert) | 2032 comments I finished this a few days ago and I pretty much agree with what everyone said about it all feeling a bit forced.

I wasn't a fan of the pacing either. It started off quick-paced and action packed with the apple quest, we had a bit of Iron Druid normalcy as he took care of his business getting ready for the quest, then we had a really slow campfire tale section and then the big showdown at the end. I actually started the audio, listened through part of Gunnar's story and then put it down for a few days. This is really out of character for me and these books! I usually can't stand to put them down and when I do I can't wait to pick them up again.

There were still some parts I enjoyed. It was interesting to explore Gunnar and Leif's pasts as a window into how the supernatural as a whole fit into Hearne's world. I also appreciate the way Hearne uses the mythological pantheons in terms of how well known they are in our age. Norse and Roman/Greek Mythology is huge in our culture, but gods like Perun aren't widely known. I thought it was interesting that Perun himself mentions that he has little influence because of this.

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4855 comments I agree, Vicky. I like his use of pantheons and mythologies and how influential they are based off of knowledge and continued worship in the modern age, and I was interested in more of Gunnar and Leif's backstories (though (view spoiler))

message 29: by Lisarenee (last edited Mar 10, 2014 11:33AM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Vicky said, "I also appreciate the way Hearne uses the mythological pantheons in terms of how well known they are in our age. Norse and Roman/Greek Mythology is huge in our culture, but gods like Perun aren't widely known. I thought it was interesting that Perun himself mentions that he has little influence because of this."

You know, you see this in a lot of books dealing with Gods. They tend to only be as powerful as the amount of people who worship them. I always found this an interesting concept. Does that mean the worshiping of them is what gives them their power? Without them are they truly powerless? To me it always seemed the two would not be so closely tied to one another. I'd just think their influence of others on earth would be affected.

message 30: by Vicky (last edited Mar 10, 2014 11:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vicky (librovert) | 2032 comments Steven wrote: "I agree, Vicky. I like his use of pantheons and mythologies and how influential they are based off of knowledge and continued worship in the modern age, and I was interested in more of Gunnar and ..."

In regards to your spoiler, one of them is in limbo. (view spoiler)

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4855 comments That's right! I totally forgot about that. Thanks, Vicky!

I shouldn't have read so much over my days of stomach bug/food poisoning. I'm struggling to remember everything I read! LOL

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Goodness I seem to be quite far behind. I'm only about halfway through ;)

message 33: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10389 comments Well, I got behind because of Water Love Memory. Now that I had the time, is Mercy day. So I'm off till the task is done.

And off-topic: Nicole, I will need to talk about your read books for the team challenge, but later, after I finish Night Broken. :)

Kristie | 3279 comments Nicole wrote: "Goodness I seem to be quite far behind. I'm only about halfway through ;)"

Actually, I think you're right on and we're ahead. I'm waiting to read the next one until April, like a good doobie. :)

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Sure Sonia. Email me whenever you get a chance. :)

message 36: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 10389 comments :)

I will... you'll probably be sleeping by then, but we have time.

message 37: by Eni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Eni | 2101 comments i just finished the book... well a couple of hours ago.. still trying to digest it. I loved the book till about 80% in.. (yeah i'm easy). I actually enjoyed the fact that after a while it gets a slower pace then usual. And of course Oberon and all the little references made my inner nerd giggle her ass off.

(view spoiler)
DAM YOU HEARNE *shakes fist*
I agree with you Lisarenee, it would be very interesting to see the widow with the tea.

*sigh* just wanna punch someone right now >_<

Nicole Field (nicolefield) | 1778 comments Ok I finally finished this one tonight. I've got to admit, till now, I've sorta wondered why Kevin and Neil Gaiman were said to be similar. Now I've read both Hammered and American Gods, I can finally see it.

Anyone else?

Steven (gallifreyan1218) | 4855 comments Eni wrote: "i just finished the book... well a couple of hours ago.. still trying to digest it. I loved the book till about 80% in.. (yeah i'm easy). I actually enjoyed the fact that after a while it gets a sl..."

This book was heartwrenching!!!

I need to read American Gods still, Nicole. I'm behind! LOL

Kristie | 3279 comments Eni wrote: "i just finished the book... well a couple of hours ago.. still trying to digest it. I loved the book till about 80% in.. (yeah i'm easy). I actually enjoyed the fact that after a while it gets a sl..."

I was so upset by (view spoiler)

Kristie | 3279 comments Nicole wrote: "Ok I finally finished this one tonight. I've got to admit, till now, I've sorta wondered why Kevin and Neil Gaiman were said to be similar. Now I've read both Hammered and American Gods, I can fina..."

I didn't know that they were said to be similar. I don't see it, but I haven't read American Gods. Maybe that is exactly the books they were referring to, Nicole.