Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Question of the Week > What book death was most unfair? *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 181 comments We read mostly romances, but sometimes another character will die in order to advance the plot. Feel free to discuss other genres too. Perhaps a tragic ending was what pushed you to romance.

Any book death that affected you strongly, tell us why it hit you so hard.
It can be a main character or secondary one. Offstage or part of the story action. What made it so disturbing to you?

message 2: by Kim Davis (last edited Feb 13, 2014 06:40AM) (new)

Kim Davis | 134 comments Anyone who is now reading, or is planning to read, Karin Slaughter's Grant County series should skip this post.

2/13/14: edited to hide the spoiler. My initial post was from my phone app and it doesn't let me use html coding. :\

(view spoiler)

message 3: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments @ Kim, I was surprised by that death as well. However, I do like what KS is doing with Will and Sarah. They are so awkward together, it is great.

message 4: by Kim Davis (new)

Kim Davis | 134 comments I'll get over it eventually. I guess I'm still grieving - lol. I LOVED Jeffrey!

message 5: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (last edited Feb 12, 2014 06:22PM) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1706 comments Mod
There are many but (view spoiler) was pretty sad for me.

message 6: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments Pamela(AllHoney) wrote: "There are many but Vi's brother dying in At Peace was pretty sad for me."

It was.

message 7: by Jojo (new)

Jojo | 2 comments Kim wrote: "Anyone who is now reading, or is planning to read, Karin Slaughter's Grant County series should skip this post.

There are three main characters in this series: Jeffrey, Sara & Lena. I liked all th..."

I agree - I hated that so much I haven't read any more books from her.

message 8: by Kim Davis (new)

Kim Davis | 134 comments This is a really stupid one, but since it's stayed with me all these years I'm mentioning it anyway.

Charlotte from Charlotte's Web. The reason it was so profound to me was likely the fact that it was the very first time is ever read a book where a character died. I was seven years old & I received the book for my birthday. I vividly remember reading it and just sobbing at the end. I probably re-read it hundreds of times over the years and it got to me every single time.

message 9: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments One that just popped into my mind is from the Dark Hunter series. (view spoiler)

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 181 comments I was heartbroken by Charlotte 's death too! And my teacher was reading it aloud to my 3d grade class!

I'm feeling bad about all the deaths. Though I hadn't read the others mentioned so far, I know that horrible feeling. A sense of real grief.

message 11: by Jais (new)

Jais (jetoftherock) | 28 comments Darcy wrote: "One that just popped into my mind is from the Dark Hunter series. I was stunned when Nick's mom, Cherise, died. I was listening to the audio book while getting ready for work. When that part cam..."

Yes. I was reading the part about her death and I had to stop and talk to my sister about it. I really liked Cherise.

message 12: by Jill (new)

Jill | 294 comments A certain death in the Hollows series by Kim Harrison totally blew me away. I bawled my eyes out, it just wasn't right.

message 13: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments Jill wrote: "A certain death in the Hollows series by Kim Harrison totally blew me away. I bawled my eyes out, it just wasn't right."

For sure. Now that it has been books later I sort of forget about him, but at the time, it was so shocking.

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (studioeastrat) | 511 comments Jill wrote: "A certain death in the Hollows series by Kim Harrison totally blew me away. I bawled my eyes out, it just wasn't right."

That one got me too Jill. I still haven't continued the series because of it. Maybe one day I will pick it up again but that death just killed me.

message 15: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 11, 2014 05:44AM) (new)

This year I just read the Divergent Series. The last book had me in tears. (view spoiler)
This character had went through so much and I just wanted her to finally get her HEA.
There was a lot of uproar from the fans over this.

message 16: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments Marta wrote: "This year I just read the Divergent Series. The last book had me in tears. [spoilers removed]
This character had went through so much and I just wanted her to finally get her HEA.
There was a lot ..."

That one made me mad. I didn't think that it needed to happen.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 9700 comments Mod
I marked this thread for spoilers, but I would also ask that posters use spoiler tags when they mention books, please, so no one's book experience is spoiled.

To use spoiler tags:

(spoiler) in front of spoiler material
(/spoiler) behind spoiler material.

Substitute < and > and for ( and ).

Thanks!!!

message 18: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 181 comments Good idea, Danielle. A death like these can ruin a book or the whole series.

message 19: by Jill (new)

Jill | 294 comments Darcy wrote: "Jill wrote: "A certain death in the Hollows series by Kim Harrison totally blew me away. I bawled my eyes out, it just wasn't right."

For sure. Now that it has been books later I sort of forget a..."

It totally killed me. I wasn't expecting it at all.

message 20: by Teen (last edited Feb 13, 2014 05:34PM) (new)

Teen | 41 comments Black Dagger brotherhood series: (view spoiler)

message 21: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments Teen wrote: "Black Dagger brotherhood series: [spoilers removed]"

I agree that one was shocking, mostly because it was a civilian.

message 22: by Arielle Rae (new)

Arielle Rae Aguilar | 13 comments In The Fallen Angels series by J. R. ward, I was so shocked when (view spoiler)

message 23: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 702 comments Arielle Rae wrote: "In The Fallen Angels series by J. R. ward, I was so shocked when [spoilers removed]"

I'd forgotten about that one, I was shocked too.

message 24: by Andrea (new)

Andrea Jackson (paperbackdiva) | 181 comments Teen wrote: "Black Dagger brotherhood series: [spoilers removed]"

I'm totally with you on that BDB book. It was a major let down.

message 25: by Sonya (new)

Sonya Heaney It's not a death, but in Good For You (Between the Lines, #3) by Tammara Webber

(view spoiler)

I really think it was ten times more shocking than pretty much any death I've read in a book!