All About Books discussion

What Have You Read? > Neustadt International Prize for Literature

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments I found this morning a listopia on GR about an award I had never heard about, the Neustadt International Prize for Literature: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neusta...

Here also the link to the listopia: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/7...

From the list I have read only three books and, shame on me, a lot of names are new to me, never heard about some authors.

I have read:
One Hundred Years of Solitude
Love in the Time of Cholera
A Fine Balance

and a few are on my wishlist.

What about you? Do you know these authors and how many books by them have you read?

message 2: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments I have never heard of this prize before either. From what is says on the wikipedia article, the prize is for the author's body of work rather than individual books.

I have heard of several of the winners (but most were unknown to me!), but only read books by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez (the same two Dely listed) and David Malouf (Remembering Babylon).

I will make an effort to read some poetry by Octavio Paz, and that can be a Mexican author for the Cinco de Mayo Theme challenge too :-)

message 3: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13133 comments Mod
Netiher have I!

message 4: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments At least I'm not the only one that doesn't know some of those authors!

message 5: by LauraT (new)

dely wrote: "At least I'm not the only one that doesn't know some of those authors!"

Definitly not!!!

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Oh that's a great link dely, I know about 50% of the authors by name, but have only read books by Gabriel García Márquez, Max Frisch and Rohinton Mistry so far.

Mia Couto, David Malouf, Tomas Tranströmer and Czesław Miłosz are on my TBR, and I think the first name was added because he won the price, which might have been the first time hearing of the award.

It looks like a nice list of authors for new discoveries, I will look at the ones I haven't heard of yet.

message 7: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Jenny wrote: "Oh that's a great link dely, I know about 50% of the authors by name, but have only read books by Gabriel García Márquez, Max Frisch and Rohinton Mistry so far.

Mia Couto, David Malouf, Tomas Tran..."

Let us know if you will read and like some of them.

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments will do!

message 9: by LauraT (new)

Could be interesting to read something new...

message 10: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments David Malouf might be a good author for your Australia fiction book. His Remembering Babylon won a bunch of prizes and was on the short list for the Man Booker Prize, and I have been recommended Ransom.

message 11: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Thanks for the recommendation Leslie, Ransom, it sounds really interesting (though it wouldn't work for the challenge)

message 12: by Alannah (new)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11539 comments Mod
I haven't read any on here.

message 13: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Oh,I really like Elizabeth Bishop's poetry. I've read a couple of books by Josef Škvorecký. The Engineer of Human Souls comes to mind, though I confess that at this moment I don't remember anything about it, other than that I was impressed at the time.

message 14: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments I've just checked the list of books by Josef Škvorecký. I've also readThe Bass Saxophone.

message 15: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Thanks Gill, I've put The Cowards by him on my TBR, since it is the only one that my library has.

message 16: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Gill, you are the most cosmopolitan in your reading of all of us :-)

message 17: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) I agree! I'm in awe of your reading, Gill! :D

Not so much this list though. Granted I should have read more than just one (abandoned at that!) but NINE by Gabriel García Márquez ?

message 18: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Jean wrote: "I agree! I'm in awe of your reading, Gill! :D

Not so much this list though. Granted I should have read more than just one (abandoned at that!) but NINE by Gabriel García Márquez ?"

The list is of the authors, as the prize is for their entire body of work. So the Goodreads listopia list just reflects the fact that Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez is the most widely read of all the authors who have won the prize.

message 19: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments I was introduced to Elizabeth Bishop on a poetry short course I did a few years ago. I'll look out something about her and post it on the poetry thread soon.

There are big gaps still in my reading, but I have always read voraciously and widely (especially modernish books in translation).

message 20: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Ah, I did not appreciate that point. Thanks, Leslie, and my apologies (and congratulations!) to Mr Marquez! :)

message 21: by Jenny (last edited Feb 16, 2014 11:08PM) (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Gill, I found this about Elizabeth Bishops letters in The New Yorker. I thought you might be interested.

message 22: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Jenny wrote: "Gill, I found this about Elizabeth Bishops letters in The New Yorker. I thought you might be interested."

Thanks Jenny, I'll have a look.