The Book Was Better discussion

A Walk to Remember
This topic is about A Walk to Remember
BOOKS ON SCREEN > A WALK TO REMEMBER

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dana Burkey (danaburkey) | 1690 comments Mod
So I am not a fan of chick flick books and movies at all, but this book was actually really good! The movie however, fell really short. The biggest complaint I have is the fact that they took out the whole scene that was the reason for the book title in the first place!!!

Marika | 187 comments I liked the movie, but I saw it before I knew there was a book. The book is on my reading list though and I've heard from people who read the book that they were disapointed with the movie

message 3: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Yeah, as with all Nicholas Spark books, the book does a much better job of making the story have more substance for sure!!!

message 4: by Sam (new) - added it

Sam | 606 comments I liked the movie but haven't read any of Nicholas Spark books so by these comments i need to add to my list of books to read :)

message 5: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

I did not think I would like his stuff based on some of the movies, but the book have so much more than just a love story! I still need to see The Last Song, but that book was AMAZING! It was more about the girl and her father than anything, and so it was amazing and emotional and just perfect! I have a feeling the movie will be too much about the guy for my standards....

message 6: by Lea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lea Clark | 8 comments I rarely like Sparks movies. The books are somewhat predictable: sweet love stories with a huge tear jerker moment. I just don't get that 'moment' from the movies, with the exception of The Notebook. I felt it translated well to the big screen, but I still don't know how I feel about the ending.

message 7: by Sara (new) - added it

Sara Edwards (idkbooksarecool) | 9 comments I heard this movie was fabulous. I haven't seen it, nor read the book, but I know it's a must. In my opinion, NS films really mirror moments in his books perfectly, and I love that. Hopefully I can pick up this novel soon, or watch the film.

message 8: by Lea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lea Clark | 8 comments The book ending...

My daughter and I have argued over the ending on multiple occasions. Does Jaime die in the book? I didn't think so after reading it, but my daughter is adamant that Sparks clearly has her pass away.

Marika | 187 comments I'm reading the book right now. Its already so different! I like the original time setting. Not sure why they made the movie in "present day" as opposed to the 50's. I'm not terribly far yet, so we'll see!

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments My memory of this movie is winning tickets to screenings... twice. And oh, Only Hope.

This is probably the one Sparks movie that I could sit through without getting the urge to do something else. I tried reading it but... I think I lost the book lol.

message 11: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

Somehow, I forgot about that song! Maybe because I know a lot of high school girls that butchered it at talent comps and the like! haha Good song for sure tho!

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments Haha that's true. Everybody was butchering that song in Mandy Moore's breathy voice. XD

message 13: by Marika (last edited Mar 21, 2014 05:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marika | 187 comments Wow I just finished listening to the audio version of the book. It was wonderful. My tear jerker moment was the line where we find out where the title "A Walk to Remember" comes from. i wish they would have clarified that in the movie. I think its fairly clear that she died soon after their wedding. At first I was irritated that they changed the time period of the movie, but now I'm glad they did because I think it makes it relevant to teens today, instead of it just being some historical fiction. Although if they would have kept it aligned with the book I would have obviously been fine with it too.

This was such a precious love story; I will read it again for sure.

message 14: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

I have not read it since high school, so I might need to take another look at it. However, I was soooo annoyed when the movie not putting the significance of the title in there! Such a wonderful moment and they missed it!

message 15: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A Walk to Remember was a beautiful movie and book, but I do agree they did tweak it a little bit. That's what Hollywood does with all Nicholas Sparks book to movie adaptations. I did enjoy the Mandy Moore song in the movie.

message 16: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Rivas (Epitomeness) | 5 comments I read it a while ago...I'm not sure if I like the book better or the movie. Usually that's not a problem but I thought they were both great.

message 17: by Reece (new)

Reece (46divergent46) | 21 comments We watched this movie on a trip. I am seriously in love with the story an it just amazed me! I have never read the book but I really want to is it good? I mean the movie was great but how is it compared to the book?

message 18: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 4 stars

I feel like the movie just went into everything more and it was a lot more emotional and beautiful. The movie did an okay job and all, but the whole point of the title and everything was taken out. I think Hollywood tends to water down Nicholas Spark books quite a bit, so I for sure encourage you to read the book if you liked the movie! :)

message 19: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Rivas (Epitomeness) | 5 comments I agree, definitely read the book

message 20: by Reece (new)

Reece (46divergent46) | 21 comments I will defitnitly thanks!

message 21: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Rivas (Epitomeness) | 5 comments No problem! Tell me how you liked it when you're done!

message 22: by Reece (new)

Reece (46divergent46) | 21 comments Trust me I will probably after the selection which I am reading now I will defitnitly read it!

message 23: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Rivas (Epitomeness) | 5 comments Good! Haha and I've read the Selection, loved em too!

message 24: by Reece (new)

Reece (46divergent46) | 21 comments Yeah I'm not that far but I really like it so far especially prince maxon. It is a great story

message 25: by Ashley (new) - added it

Ashley Rivas (Epitomeness) | 5 comments Yea it definitely is

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I saw this movie a few times with my girlfriends in public school, and never really got into it. I read the book in high school, and thought it a little too mushy.

Cee (The Mistress Case) (themistresscase) All I remember about the book is that it's different from the movie. Since I saw the movie first, I'm more biased towards it.

message 28: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa Tagliaferro | 2 comments This is my all time favorite book and movie. I did go to the theater to see it in 2002, and wasn't aware at the time that there was a book. When I saw that it was based on a novel, a week later I bought it. Since then I've read the book over 20 times (I try to read it at least once a year). Of course there are major differences between both which gets me annoyed at times. Why base a movie on a book if you are going to change everything? But I try not to compare too much. And try to separate both as a totally different entities. Which helps.

message 29: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate (kater13) | 1 comments I just finished reading the book, and haven't watched the movie. Should I watch it? I don't want to ruin the perfection of the book...

message 30: by Imke (new) - rated it 5 stars

Imke (x-imke-x) | 1 comments I cried a lot during this book, because I read Sparks' inspiration for the story on his site. It's truelly heartbreaking.