The Book Was Better discussion

BOOKS ON SCREEN > THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Dana Burkey (danaburkey) | 1690 comments Mod
So, this is one book to movie that did it great in by eyes, since it took out a lot of the language that I felt was un-needed in the book. However, there was a lot of conflict lost from the book as well! Like everything with Lily! UGH!

message 2: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments Ok this is one of my favorite movies! I normally don't like most chick flicks but I love this one! I'm so happy its s book! I have to put it on my list now...

message 3: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I read the book knowing there was talk of the movie coming out, and was a little worried I would not like the movie after reading the book. The book has a much harsher tone to it, but does have a LOT more info on things including fashion. There is at least one more book after it that I never read, so I might have to go back and re-read the first one then continue one. But yes, I do enjoy the movie a LOT! haha

message 4: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments I think there are more books to the series... I could be wrong as i haven't read any. I was worried when they cast Anne Hathaway, as for me this was the first movie I had seen her in that was a 'serious' role. Before all I had seen was Princess Diaries and Ella Enchanted etc. But after this movie I had so much respect for her. She is a fabulous actress and has really just kept blowing my expectations.

message 5: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments ok just looked and I was wrong! only 2 books in series, I was thinking of the 2 other books which had heels on the cover thinking they were related! Last night at Chateau Marmont and Chasing Harry Winston! :) my bad!

message 6: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Yeah, the casting for the movie was great! And I loved all the fashion and everything with the industry shown. I think I might need to re-read the books again to get a clear picture of what the differences really were, but I know the big one again was Lily, and then the whole ending when the whole why and when she left and all that.

message 7: by Lea (new)

Lea Clark | 8 comments I agree about Lily. I preferred the ending in the book better than the film. It had more punch and tied up the loose ends.

message 8: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Exactly! It ties everything up without being all perfect and fake. I esp love when the sell the clothes at the shop. That part made me laugh! Although I like her plan for the clothes in the movie as well....

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

This is one of my favorite movies!

message 10: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments I was so disapointed by this book! I didn't hate it...there were moments of humor and interest. But overall it was repetitive, boring, and shallow. I read the book because I LOVE the movie. I don't watch a ton of chick flicks but this is one of my favorite movies. I don't understand how the movie can have far more depth, meaning, purpose, and better (not more, but better) detail and humor than the book. Normaly its the other way around! (view spoiler) And in the movie Miranda has a breakdown with her divorce and you see she is a complex individual not a black and white one dimensional evil boss like in the book. Idk...I'm shocked to say this but the movie was superior in my mind.

message 11: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I agree for sure!!!! I liked that the book has a lot of fashion and you get to see more of the cut throat world of the industry, but the movie made things a little more promising and overall acceptable. I was shocked at everything that happened with Lilly in the book, and the fact that it was taken out in the movie. But, it works to make it more of a book about self discovery for Andy.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the way we get to see the other side of Miranda in the movie! Her breakdown and even the end showed that she was more than just the "dragon lady." It made her character more likable after everything she just did in the movie....

I want to go back and re-read the book before reading the rest of the series(again mostly for the fashion) but I think the movie did a better job making it good for young girls! :)

message 12: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments I was going to read the sequel but then I read the reviews on goodreads and it seems HORRIBLE! I am totally turned off to reading it. I would read through the reviews before starting it, but the plot points these people mentioned sounded super awful.

message 13: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Hhmmmm I have not heard much about it overall, but that is a good idea! I will have to read up on it more before deciding to give it a read!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I liked the book, and found the movie funny. Not amazing, but funny.