The Book Was Better discussion

The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)
This topic is about The Sea of Monsters
BOOKS ON SCREEN > PERCY JACKSON AND THE SEA OF MONSTERS

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana Burkey (danaburkey) | 1690 comments Mod
Okay...I have not seen this movie yet, but bring on the spoilers anyways! Based on the first movie I can only assume that the second movie was total TRASH!! I might watch it at some point just so I can yell at the screen a lot and feel better for having read the book first! haha

Jasmina I personally find that the second film was better than the first.

They got some of the facts straight (Annabeth's hair color, Tyson's one eye and so on). You could also notice that their budget was oh-so-slightly higher this time around.

The only issue I have with this film series, is that it's taking forever. If it continues this way, Logan Lerman and the rest of the cast will be in their thirties (more or less), and it's kinda frustrating me.

message 3: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

I think you are the first person I have heard say anything nice about the second movie so far! I was happy they got the hair color right too, but from the preview it looked like the movie was a HOT MESS! I might one day see it, but for now it seems like it would just make more angry than I need to be... haha

message 4: by Jasmina (last edited Feb 10, 2014 12:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jasmina Haha, yay for me!
The downside is that the film series will never be as great as the books.

I honestly (always in this case) blame Alexandra Diddario for all of it which sounds awfully rude, but her acting is gruesome.

But you should possibly give it a shot whenever you have time, kinda interested in hearing what you think.

message 5: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

I will for sure look into it! Now that I have this group I feel like I need to see some of those movies I was avoiding seeing since I figure they destroyed the book completely!

message 6: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments I only saw the movie coz my Nephew wanted it so we bought it... I know he is only 9 but makes me wonder how much he actually takes in coz we were trying to talk to him about the movie after but we kept confusing him when we refered to the Gods by name. Then we were saying terms (like Demigod) and it got worst so i just kind of gave up. Maybe I should buy the books for him to read... except he isn't a big reader :( He does remind me of my sister and I when he just zones out when watchiong TV. Sad to say I am one of those people that just block everything out when a TV is on... even if i really dont care what is on it I will still watch it!

beth (beth01) 1. Clarrise, just, no
2. There was no Clarrise' satyr
3. Grover never went to camp
4. Luke doesn't admit that until the end of the book
5. The fight scene at the end
6. KRONOS DOESN'T FR*****G RISE!

message 8: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

And that right there is why I am not rushing out to see it! haha

I think I am going to rent both movies one weekend and just sit at home and laugh, cry, and scream at the tv. Oh, and not cry with emotions, cry because they clearly murdered the books!

beth (beth01) Yes, exactly!

message 10: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Finally watched the movie........

I will start with the good things about it:
1. The stain glass scene was really well done and creative! Whoever was in charge of that sequence deserves a high five!
2. The camp was MUCH BETTER! As someone who works in full time camping, I was glad to see it looking less "war camp" and more "camp camp"! Still no orange shirts....but...ya know! ;)
3. They made up for a lot of stuff in the first movie...clearly they listened the a lot of the fan complaints from the first movie!
4. Best line of the whole movie: "The Christians have a guy that can do this in reverse. Now that's a God!"

And as for the bad:

UGH!!! Why was Grover young?! Mist spray?! Clarisse looked way too pretty and normal compared to her rough around the edges version in the book!! Tyson was not with Percy ahead of time!?! Percy was never a hamster!! Where were the sirens? An amusement park?! He ate the sheep?!? Krynos is awake now......or not?!?!??!!?!??!?!?! Did they even read the whole book, or just the spark notes version!?!??! BLAH!!!!!!!!

Yes, they covered some of the issues that were super annoying from the first movie, but then went and made stupid new ones in this one!! Do they think after the first movie fans will just get over it when they stray that far from the book!?!?! I don't know if they plan on making the next book....but if they do they need to learn to stop sucking so much!! I don't know if they will ever make it, but The Battle of the Labyrinth was my favorite of the books, and I really don't want to see that one totally butchered! Like, don't change things that clearly are awesome in the books. A book that AMAZING should not be made into such a crappy movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jasmina Did you guys hear that Logan Lerman doesn't want to the a third film of the series? I'm disappointed :( Here I was waiting for The Battle of the Labyrinth but I guess the chances of it happening are really slim...

message 12: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Well....I mean....the movies are not that good....so I can see why he would not want to do them... But that is sad, since BotL is my favorite for sure, and even if it was less than awesome I would have loved to see it on screen.

Beatriz  Andrade (notbumblebea) | 6 comments I think that the movies will get better because the books did get better with more action (in BotL and The Last Olympian) and it would be a total bummer if Logan Lerman wasn't the Percy we love for the next few movies. I have big hopes for BotL and the last Olympian, hopefully the mistakes they had in the movie will stay minor (even though the way that Percy meets Tyson was completely messed up in the Sea of Monsters) such as the color of Chiron's, body which is white, but in the movie is brown, all that matters is that he's still a centaur, and that the important parts of the movie are still the same. I really hope our percy doesn't change.

message 14: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yeah, I think having a new Percy would really be hard to get past.... I feel like they did better in SofM for sure, but there were still so many things that were wrong. They have a big whole to dig themselves out of, but I kind of hope they try to...since BofL is my favorite for sure, and I really want to see it on the big screen!!

message 15: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

I just did some searching online and there is not even a plan as of yet to make Titans Curse... So who knows if the movie franchise will actually keep going.... That might be a good thing honestly, they may NEVER do the books justice!

Beatriz  Andrade (notbumblebea) | 6 comments THATS TERRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't believe that they would do just one and them not finish it!!!!!!

Beatriz  Andrade (notbumblebea) | 6 comments Two.... I meant two.... But you know.

message 18: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

I wonder if they would consider making a whole new set a few years down the road... Like new cast, the right age this time, starting over at the first one making it actually book accurate!! :D

Beatriz  Andrade (notbumblebea) | 6 comments I wish they would tbh

message 20: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

tbh? Never heard that one before...

message 21: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments It's 'to be honest' isn't it?

message 22: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

That could be!! I don't know all the text/hip lingo! haha

message 23: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Not gunna lie..... I was thinking about watching the movie this weekend because I don't have time to read the book right now....but then I started thinking about how terrible they did with it and got mad all over again and WILL NOT watch the movie! Basically the only way I will ever watch it again is with my friend Robert since we sit and make fun of or pick apart the whole thing. Our other friends won't watch most movies with us thanks to that.... haha

Alice | 5 comments PJ is a book for young adults but the movie is for 7-year-old. It's as deep as a puddle! Just one question: How the hades are they doing a third? They just killed the plot!

message 25: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Logan Lerman had kind of said he is not going to do any more....so either they get a new cast or they quit. PLEASE GOD MAKE THEM QUIT!!!

I think Sam was the one who first said it would be cool for them to make into a cartoon series or cartoon movies. Maybe then they could make it right.....

KittenHestia This was soooooo much worse than the first movie it is such a bad adaptation literally the only thing that was good about it was they got annabeth's hair right maybe that got too many complaints from book fans he he.
The ending especially was COMPLETELY WRONG.
They basically left out circe's island. They said that Circe had built a theme park on Polyphemus's island and it was basically destroyed.
And even though they ended with Thalia waking up I heard they aren't going to make a third movie. Hope they do just to see who they cast as Nico.
I think they should make a TV series out of the books and with 12 year olds or at least do a reboot.
We had to watch this movie in class as a "treat". We didn't finish it thank the gods. It was awful when I heard someone the other day saying "why don't we watch the rest of that movie we didn't finish it".
I HATE IT.
Wow this is a long post...