UNC Children's Literature in Elementary and Middle Schools discussion

Discussion Prompt for The Golden Compass

Comments Showing 1-31 of 31 (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey | 2 comments As you have read (or are still reading), daemons are not only essential to the plot in The Golden Compass, but integral to the lives and well being of the characters. Based on what you believe the daemons represent, in what form would your daemon settle on? Why?

message 2: by Emery (new)

Emery Carlough | 12 comments I think that my daemon would be some kind of dog, possible a golden retriever. I am very loyal to my friends and family and dogs have that quality. I am also very obedient and respectful like a dog would be! A golden retriever also loves to socialize and this is very true of me. I love to meet new people and talk to others!

message 3: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Colthorpe | 13 comments Shy around strangers yet loud around friends and family, I think my daemon would take the form of a mouse. As a mouse my daemon would be able to fit in my pocket and could whisper encouraging words during stressful, unfamiliar situations. At the same time, he would become extremely talkative and friendly when comfortable. Like a mouse I don't like to be the center of attention, but I can get loud when necessary. I'm loyal to those that mean the world to me and reach my full potential when around them. Like a mouse I am timid in new situations, something that my shy daemon and I would work through together for, despite our hesitation, we are extremely friendly.

message 4: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 12 comments The daemon encompasses most of what their human is, but also some of the qualities their human is missing (Pantalamion worries about the end results of plans much more than Lyra). My daemon would be a lion because they are independent leaders with strong ambitions, and because that matched my Myers-Briggs test on BuzzFeed. Lions have what I do not in their bravery, and this as a daemon would encourage me to face fears and be more courageous than I am.

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura Hoerning | 12 comments According to the daemon test that I took online, I would be best as a songbird, a dove, swan, domestic cat or a Border Collie. It is funny because my spirit animal is a swan so I would most likely take this form. I am sensitive to others feelings and tend to think of them before myself. I am loyal to my small group of friends and love my family but also prefer to be independent from them. I am the advice giver, my friends are constantly coming to me with their problems and they all agree that I am very supportive and listen attentively while also providing a great solution or suggestion to fix it. I think the ability to fly would be incredible, although I am not an avid swimmer I do enjoy the coast. I don't think that I would want to be a daemon though because I would not want to constantly be in another's company, no matter how much I loved them. I like being able to think for myself and I belief the characteristics of a swan attest to that.

message 6: by Ariana (new)

Ariana | 12 comments A lemur. This is partly because I just went to the Duke lemur center and thought that the lemurs were so cool... but also because I'm very social (like lemurs). I like being around people, especially those I know well and love. Lemurs have an awesome and kinda complex/social way of communicating so they would fit well. I'm very honest to my self and others and usually find a good balance between emotions and my rationale. But at the same time, I like exploring and seeing what else there is, like a lemur jumping around the trees of Durham.

message 7: by Hanna (new)

Hanna Siler | 13 comments I would settle in the form of a dog. I know this is probably a cliche answer, but I have always been close to my dogs. I think I would be a dog because dogs are so loyal to their owners. I feel as though I am a loyal person who is always there for my friends and family. Also, dogs are always happy and excited to see their owners. I like to think of myself as a happy person who is capable of making other people around me happy as well. I also like the warmth that dogs give off, its as if they are part of their owners in real life, not just in the fiction world.

message 8: by Carly (new)

Carly | 12 comments I thought I'd take the quiz too. The result was pretty accurate. I got "Songbird, Dove, Swan, Domestic cat, Border Collie," the same as Laura. I'd pick Border Collie. I love dogs and I can definitely identify with loyalty. I have a close group of friends that I'd be pretty content to sit with in a blank room and still have fun with and be completely comfortable. I try to please everyone and eventually I'll stand up for myself. I definitely trust people easily, especially people close to me.

Mary-Willoughby Romm (marywill5) | 13 comments I think my daemon would be a tiny dog, like a yorkie. I'm small, but I can be loud and get my view across. I also can listen and know when to back down. I'm loyal like a dog is and able to take directions well. It would be cool to have a sidekick like a daemon that you never get separated from and to always have there.

message 10: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey Levanson | 12 comments I wasn't 100 percent sure what would be a good animal for my daemon and since this would be its settled form, I found a quiz where you answer personal questions and it gives you suggestions for your daemon. I got a dog because I am a talkative and open person. I am very trusting and would do almost anything for my close group of friends and family. I am pretty affectionate as most dogs are and I would love to cuddle with my daemon. I would hope my daemon would be as loyal to me as I am to it and most everyone else.

message 11: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Simmons | 12 comments So, I took the Helloquizzy.com daemon quiz, and it gave me the exact animal I had been thinking of for my daemon: a sea lion!
They enjoy having fun, laughing, being social, and are more graceful in the water than on land–all characteristics of myself. Given that my daemon has to live in/near water, this would not bother me at all–I would get to spend my life on/by the ocean. I would be perfectly at peace, and happy. Just like my fun-loving and silly daemon. :)

message 12: by Julia (new)

Julia Drabick | 13 comments If I had a daemon, I think it would be a butterfly. I consider myself an extremely social person and like to think that I make people happy when they see me. I am also very much a free spirit and love to travel, so in this respect I am like a butterfly as well. Based on the "HelloQuizzy.com" quiz, I am a "fun loving soul" -- and I think butterfly fits within this category perfectly.

message 13: by Alston (new)

Alston | 9 comments My daemon would be a wolf. I am very sensitive to others emotions but I do not reveal much about my own emotions unless I am very close to that person and trust them. Wolves are seen as very mysterious. Wolves are also very loyal and thoughtful of others.

message 14: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Lassiter | 12 comments If I had a daemon, I think it would be a dolphin. Dolphins are fun, confident, make cute noises, intelligent, social, and live in/ love the water.

message 15: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Horn | 10 comments My daemon animal would be a bear. Bear's are independent and hard working when it comes to their survival needs but they also know how to relax when the time is right (hibernation). Bears are protective of their loved ones and stern when needed but also lovable and cuddly.

message 16: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Blackerby | 12 comments I think my daemon animal would probably be a doe (I also receives this result in a random spirit animal quiz I took several weeks ago.) Does are naturally thought of to be gentle, nurturing caregivers. However, they are also quick and curious. I consider myself to display many of these traits, as my friends frequently come to me for advice or to feel reassured, and I am generally very curious and quick to understand. As Lauren mentioned above, daemons can have some traits that their humans might lack. I am usually quick to give my opinion or to ask questions, sometimes when the situation calls for little or no comments. Perhaps a doe could remind me to stay quiet or wait until the time is more appropriate to voice my opinions.

message 17: by Christina (new)

Christina Adcock | 10 comments I think my daemon would be an arctic fox. I like that foxes are fierce, quick and clever, which are strong qualities that I have but would be enhanced by my daemon. Also, foxes are supposed to be sneaky. I usually wear my heart on my sleeve, so maybe a fox could help me be a little more sly in tricky situation. Plus I would want my daemon to be a snuggly source of comfort in the form of a beautiful, snow-white, fluffy fox.

message 18: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Slater | 12 comments I believe my daemon would be a wolf. I thought about this for awhile, and I think especially because your daemon is the opposite sex, it would definitely be a wolf. There are many qualities in a wolf which I think are similar to my own as well as ones I would like to be reminded of. Wolves are family oriented animals, very social and very loyal. They also mate for life. They are fierce, strong, intelligent and make strong emotional connections. I think a wolf embodies both the person I am, the person I strive to be, and the person I'd like to keep me company.

message 19: by Austin (new)

Austin White | 13 comments If I had a daemon, it would be a puppy. My daemon would be a young puppy rather than a grown dog because the eager nature of puppies leads them to unexpected adventures due to curiosity. As Lauren mentioned (message 4), daemons complement their human counterparts, and I think my puppy daemon would encourage me to be more spontaneous. In a sort of reverse of Lyra and Pantalamion's relationship, my puppy daemon would encourage me to ignore my worries about the outcome of my actions and be spontaneous by trotting ahead of me to get me to follow. Similar to my friendly puppy daemon, I like to make other people happy because putting a smile on others' faces always puts a smile on my own.

message 20: by Hailey (new)

Hailey Wade | 12 comments I was very captured by the idea of daemons. Although it wasn't integral to the book I found myself focusing on them and trying to figure out why they were so important and what they were supposed to represent. I am not sure what my daemon would take the shape of because I think that they are supposed to take the form of your most dominant personality trait, whether or not you know that it is your most dominant trait. For example Lord Asriel's was a snow leopard because he was powerful and dominant.
I think that my daemon would most likely take the shape of a butterfly because my most dominant personality traits tend to be calm and patient and I see butterflies and calm and patient because they just fly around and they are not afraid to land on people. Also, butterflies are simple and always are able to make people smile and I like to make people smile as well.

message 21: by Emily (new)

Emily Beeninga (ecbeeninga) | 10 comments I think my daemon would settle on the form of a sparrow. Sparrows are quiet, modest, and unassuming, but have a curiosity about them. Those characteristics draw off my most dominant personality traits. At my core, I consider myself to be very introverted but feel the calling for adventure.

message 22: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Gay | 10 comments I love the idea of the daemon but kind of wish I could be a child forever and have a constantly changing one. But since they have to have a final form, mine would probably be the gray wolf. I have been told this before but I think it makes sense. I took the quiz and got a dog, but the gray wolf seems to be more accurate in portraying what I feel my daemon would be.
The female gray wolf is not only sharp, intuitive, and intelligent, but it is also extremely protective. They are quick to deal with problems and are very observant of social connections. The female gray wolf often takes charge, the group (pack) will follow her and trust her because they know she will keep them safe and free. There instincts are highly useful. They spend their time hunting, finding or making shelters, and keeping their pack safe. The female gray wolf is a motherly creature in many ways.
I do think that the quiz was pretty close when it chose a dog. There are a lot of characteristics I would identify with in certain breeds. They are very loyal creatures, honest and open, very interested in keeping others happy. I think that a more accurate daemon for me would be a Siberian husky. They have very similar DNA structure to the gray wolf and have very similar traits.

message 23: by Hillary (new)

Hillary | 12 comments I think that if I had a daemon it would be a fox. I think that I have some qualities in common with this animal and then there are attributes it has that I lack. I am a passionate and determined person. I think that foxes posses this quality. I like to think things through and can be very pensive at times. However, unlike a fox I don't feel that I am extremely clever. Sometimes I struggle to see things in an abstract way and look to literally. Foxes are also extremely adaptable and I tend to be a bit resistant to change. So while I think I have some characteristics in common with a fox, as a daemon they would have attributes that serve to make me a more well-rounded individual.

message 24: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 12 comments Based on the daemon quiz, mine would be a swan or elephant. These animals are peaceful yet protective.

message 25: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay Carter | 12 comments I originally thought that my Daemon would be a dog for my love of family, friends and loyal nature. I was curious after reading these comments, however and I took the quiz and my daemon was a white tailed deer because I love to be with big groups of people, especially family and friends, but in large social situations I tend to be shy.

message 26: by Brotha (new)

Brotha Man (dariusw) | 10 comments I feel like my daemon would be a wolf. They are often misunderstood and seen as aggressive and vicious by nature and are often negatively portrayed in the media. But actually, wolves are very intelligent, instinctive, compassionate and generous. They can work well in packs and alone. I can identify with this in so many ways. However, according to the daemon quiz, my daemon would be a cat or dog since I can be around people or alone and be okay.

message 27: by Jaid (new)

Jaid | 9 comments After much thought and a quiz online to help me out, I think my daemon would be a snow leopard. I am not a very open person, and enjoy my privacy and independence, and while I do need companionship, it's easily found in one or two close friendships. I think a snow leopard, or a similar feline like a tiger, represents a quiet strength and would also remind me how strong I am when I doubt myself.

message 28: by Claire (new)

Claire | 12 comments I think my daemon would likely be a bird. I'm not sure what kind, but I think a bird would reflect my spirit. I love to sing and consider myself joyful. I feel like a bird would represent a part of me that I feel is not always as prominent. I am very much type-a, a control freak, and a doer. But I also am quite joyous. It would represent flight, freedom, beauty, and spontaneity for me.

message 29: by Brenna (new)

Brenna Leonard | 13 comments When I first thought about this question I thought my daemon might be a swan but questioned it because I'm so afraid of flying and heights ha ha. Then I took the daemen quiz and got a swan! It said that I am very balanced with my life and like peace, which definitely describes me. I feel my daemen would be silent but strong and also graceful. A swan is peaceful and also represents a strong soul that would be good for me.

message 30: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Goley | 11 comments I took the daemon quiz too and it gave me a lemur! I think this is very fitting because I am social and love to be around people and I also share my emotions and feelings with people. If something is bothering me I will always make sure to say something, I rarely hold things in unless it is something veryy significant.

message 31: by Katharine (new)

Katharine | 8 comments According to the daemon test I took online I would be a "Fun loving Soul". In the analysis it states that I am an open and social person, but if I am left alone I get bored and restless. Therefore I like to be surrounded by a group of friends. It also says that I am trusting and truthful, but I am not good at hiding emotions from friends or strangers. It says that my suggested form would be a Meerkat, lemur, or Labrador retriever. Based on this analysis I would say that this quiz is very accurate.