This Man (This Man, #1) This Man discussion

Americans question?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Summer (last edited Feb 09, 2014 06:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Summer Yaxley So I am British and understand all these British terms perfectly. I was wondering if you aren't from the UK, what terms didn't you understand and do you like reading from a book set in the UK?

Lauren (aplpeach) Summer wrote: "So I am British and understand all these British terms perfectly. I was wondering if you aren't from the UK, what terms didn't you understand and do you like reading from a book set in the UK?"

I love reading books set in other countries. I was able to figure out what most things meant. If you put it into context its pretty easy to follow.

Michelle °O° Most of the time the authors do a great job of explaining but I can't remember which book it was that kept saying the main character was "pissed" which means mad in the US until I finally realized it meant drunk in the UK LOL

Paula This author does not know how to conjugate "To Sit".

~*~Princess Nhya~*~ Summer wrote: "So I am British and understand all these British terms perfectly. I was wondering if you aren't from the UK, what terms didn't you understand and do you like reading from a book set in the UK?"

I do like to read books by UK authors set in the UK. the terms (certain language etc..) are pretty easy to follow for me, especially when given in context. Other terms I'm familiar with so it's never been difficult to follow.

Now what I don't like though, & have witnessed a couple times, is when some UK authors try to write from an American stand point & they don't do research on how Americans speak in slang terms etc.. They take american characters, in american settings but still use British terms in their dialogue. That for me, not only makes a story not believable & hard to get into, but it's quite irritating too. But thankfully I've only witnessed this once or twice. I can't even remember the books now. LOL

Candy I could totally understand, and I totally loved the this man series

Megan Summer wrote: "So I am British and understand all these British terms perfectly. I was wondering if you aren't from the UK, what terms didn't you understand and do you like reading from a book set in the UK?"

Hello! I just started the book and at the beginning while sitting at the bar talking to mario she thinks to herself that her dress shows off all her curves which isn't many because she is a size 10 but that may change while living with kate.... from my experience size 10 would probably be a normal size with a good amount of curves right? is dress sizing different in the UK?

Jeanette78 Hi there, i think that an American size 6 is equivalent to a uk size 10, so if you are thinking of an american size 10 that is equivalent of an uk size 14, sorry if i have confused you further lol

Megan Jeanette78 wrote: "Hi there, i think that an American size 6 is equivalent to a uk size 10, so if you are thinking of an american size 10 that is equivalent of an uk size 14, sorry if i have confused you further lol"

Lol no you didn't confuse me! That makes a little more sense haha Thankyou!

Megan Oh 1 more question! When they talk about Jesse making her put on a jumper is that a shirt/blouse or is it really a jumper (i.e. shirt shorts connected outfit)

Jeanette78 well (i am British) when i think of a jumper, it is a woolen pullover type, with long sleeves and no buttons down the front, that would be a cardigan. there i go again lol.

Megan Jeanette78 wrote: "well (i am British) when i think of a jumper, it is a woolen pullover type, with long sleeves and no buttons down the front, that would be a cardigan. there i go again lol."

ohhhhh! ok ! im glad i asked then haha i was just picturing a simple sweater or long sleeve shirt! Its so funny the differences we have!
thank you, thank you, thank you! :)

message 13: by Maryam (new) - added it

Maryam becky im niether American nor British but i understand everything and if im not sure i ask google
lol

Tania I went through a stage of reading American football and baseball stores and spent a lot of time either with google or on the phone to my brother - whats.... mean...lol

Kallie I had to actually google Jumper to get the exact meaning ...once I understood what it was it made the situation funnier.....

message 16: by Mx3 (last edited Sep 09, 2015 07:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mx3 I had no problems since I cut my teeth on Harlequin Presents back in the day.....the Brit authors were my favorite ones.

Nupur Joshi Hi,

Actually ,I am finding a book from erotic genre where guy is alpha male and smells girl down there once to know If she cheated because She kissed someone, then in further chapters girl does the same.

Thanks For your help:)

Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood I liked reading it although I didn't get most of the references... although I tried to figure them out. Some I could and some I couldn't. Cant think of any right off the bat and I'm too lazy at the moment to dig the book out.