The Book Was Better discussion

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
This topic is about The Lightning Thief
BOOKS ON SCREEN > PERCY JACKSON (LIGHTNING THIEF)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana Burkey (danaburkey) | 1690 comments Mod
Alright, this is one movie I can't sit through without yelling at the screen for all the things that are clearly WRONG! Feel free to join in on my frustration here.

The first thing that leads to all other annoyances in this movie: Percy is WAY TOO OLD!!! That was the first thing in the movie that bothered me....there were MANY more!

Jasmina I'll join in with the yelling! There were so many mistakes that it was literally borderline depressing.

I actually didn't mind Percy being a bit older. Logan Lerman did a great job (love his acting) at being Percy. I couldn't stand the fact that Annabeth's hair color was wrong and if you closed your eyes when Alexandra Diddario spoke, you'd think she was reading her lines, not actually acting them out (didn't get any better in the second movie either).

In the end, I somewhat liked the first film. It could have been way better and I kinda was wishing for a remake, but nonetheless, it's watchable merely because I (absolutely) love Percy Jackson.

message 3: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

The hair color thing bother me sooooo much too!! I don't get how they can mess that up so completely! I also like Logan Lerman a lot, and think he did a good job in the role. I just don't see how they will keep making the movies when they are getting older and older and in the books are still teens through it all...

I have to say, overall I did not HATE HATE the movie..just one HATE! haha

Jasmina But isn't one hate bad enough? I have no idea what the producers were thinking in this case.

And I just remembered, the way they handled the whole thing with Percy's mom was crappy as well.

message 5: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

I feel like they wrote this script based on someone telling them about it... Like a kid read the book, told his dad who is a movie producer, and the dad was like "You told me all about it so I am going to skip reading it and go ahead and just make this thing!!"

I absolutely and completely LOVE these books, and the movie let me down so much I wanted to cry! I wish we could go back in time and un-make them and then try again with a younger cast and more accurate script writing!

Jasmina There is also the possibility that they were trying on getting a low age-rating (or whatever it's called) since it's a middle grade book series, but it was still horribly executed. I think you know something bad, when you feel like you could have done a better job yourself (with no experience what so ever)! :P

I couldn't agree more! They should have given it 100% instead of half-assing it.

message 7: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

I guess I can see having the cast a little older helped get a little bit of an older audience in on it, but like you said, it was half-assed, so casting was the least of their worries. I will say, the special effects were not cringe worthy like I have seem in a lot of other movies!

beth (beth01) 1. Too old
2. Annabeth's hair and eye colour
3. THE ENTIRE FR*****G PLOT

Kieran (KdwLaws) The person that plays annabeth is near thirty :o

message 10: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

WHAT?!?!?! I don't believe you.....

Welp....IMDB does not lie. She is 27...so at the rate they are going she will be around 65 when they get around to making The Last Olympian. And if they move on to the Lost Hero series she will likely have one foot in the grave by then! UGH! Another reason I do not like those movies!!!!!!!!!

message 11: by beth (new) - rated it 4 stars

beth (beth01) Dana wrote: "WHAT?!?!?! I don't believe you.....

Welp....IMDB does not lie. She is 27...so at the rate they are going she will be around 65 when they get around to making The Last Olympian. And if they move ..."

Haha!! I so agree!!

message 12: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Absolutely! I feel like in the case of the Percy Jackson movies it might be good to make a thread on what we actually did like about the movie....just so we can say at least one nice thing about it....maybe....there has to be SOMETHING the movie got right....uh..... ;)

message 13: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

LOL! I honestly don't even remember the soundtrack... I have only seen it twice, and the second time I talked the whole time, complaining about everything wrong about the movie! haha

message 14: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Me too!! At work the only Pandora station I have going in my office is move soundtracks. I will have to see if I can get Percy Jackson added to it! Maybe I will hear it then, since I won't be watching terrible scenes at the same time!

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments The satyr. Kill it with fire.

message 16: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) wrote: "The satyr. Kill it with fire."

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!! ..and yes! :)

Beatriz  Andrade (notbumblebea) | 6 comments Another thing that they messed up was Chiron's body, I noticed no one mentioned that. He was supposed to be a white horse and he is brown in the movie and I cringed through most of it because of the wrong colors and Annabeth's acting. I am very disappointed with the movies. I'm just really angry I can't handle this,

message 18: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

I did not notice that, but Annabeth's hair was totally wrong, and yeah...her acting was a mess!! I was also soooo mad about the camp. It was a SUMMER CAMP, not a WAY CAMP! As someone who works in camping, I was most excited to see that...and it just let me down so much!!

message 19: by J (new) - rated it 4 stars

J A | 86 comments I've only read the first book and enjoyed it, I'm glad I saw this thread before watching the movie. I'll probably avoid it now.

message 20: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel I'm so excited this is going to be May's BOM. I have been wanting to read the book for a very long time. I believe there are 5 in the series. I love mythology! I know a lot of people may have read the book before seeing the movie, but I didn't see I liked the movie. Maybe after reading the book it will be a different story.

message 21: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have not read the series in a while....well...maybe a year or so....but it is amazing! I love mythology a tun, and really love how they weave it into the books so well. I have read the series the whole way through twice now, and once I read this one next month, I might just keep going!

Rachel, have you read the Lost Hero series yet? Or the Kane series?

message 22: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel Dana wrote: "I have not read the series in a while....well...maybe a year or so....but it is amazing! I love mythology a tun, and really love how they weave it into the books so well. I have read the series the..."

No, I haven't read those series either. What are they about?

message 23: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

The Lost Hero series comes right after the whole Heroes of Olympus series. Percy goes missing and it follows both him and another group of people (I wont give away too much). It has like 4 books or something so far. The last one came out in the fall. It's a really fun additional story, some really great new characters are introduced!

The Kane Series is about two kids who are Egyptian Gods. I love anything Egypt, this one was fun for me since it has a TUN of history and artifacts and everything in it. Also, the brother and sister take turns narrating so it is rather funny at some bits with that. I think it is not as unique as the whole Percy series, but still good.

Also, I heard there is a plan to do a crossover with Percy and the Kane series. Not sure what that is going to look like....but could be really interested to see all these characters interact!

message 24: by Rachel (new) - added it

Rachel Both series sound very interesting. Looks like I'll be adding the first book to each series to my "want to read" list. That is a neverending list for me indeed.

message 25: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

I know, right?! I had a friend message me last night as ask if I read a book she suggested back in January, and I did not even think about it once since she said it with all the other books I have been reading! It's just too easy to get suggestions on Goodreads, so I ignore the ones on FB! oops!

Katie | 9 comments Horrible movie, but I definitely loved the book.

Landen | 73 comments Well, they already crossed the series, but only for Ebooks. I too want to burn the films with fire, then burn the ashes, then burn those ashes. In all honestly maybe a quarter o it stayed to the actual plot.

Puffin (Puffin_is_boss) | 8 comments gods this movie was soooo wrong.... but the second one was worse
i still have no mental idea of how they are gonna continue the series.... like jeeze i wanna know what Rick Riordan (i have no idea how to spell his last name) said about it.

Puffin (Puffin_is_boss) | 8 comments the book was better totally.

message 30: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

I want to say that I heard Logan Lerman is not willing to do anymore of the movies, so the series will hopefully stay off the big screen for a LONG time! Sam had the idea to make a cartoon or digital version, which could end up doing WAY better than the ones they created....

watta_jerny | 7 comments logan will be too old for another movie too..so that sounds good..

message 32: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

Exactly! I was okay with them being a little older. There were WAY worse things in the movie then the age of the actors. However, considering how expansive the series is, they made them WAY too old to start with. It is impossible to even get through the first series, let along Lost Heroes, with them at their current age....

message 33: by J (new) - rated it 4 stars

J A | 86 comments I finally watched the first movie, I can see what everyone is upset about. I would love to see the series rebooted. Start with a whole new age appropriate cast with the understanding of how big and profitable a franchise with these many books could be.

Landen | 73 comments Good luck with it being age correct. In Hollywood a person who plays a sixteen year old is thirty.

message 35: by Zuleymie (new) - added it

Zuleymie Rivera | 20 comments I know right! I had such high expectations when I was little on how I was going to look when I turned 16 little did I know that my expectations were of a 30 year old and current day 15 year old me looks like a 12 year old...anyway by far one of the worst book to movie translation didn't even stay on the plot like I wanted it to be like Harry Potter like the cast slowly got older but I wouldn't have minded that bad if it wasn't perfect but stuff was way way WAY off like why?!

message 36: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

I agree!!! I try to look past little things, or if things are not quite what I saw in my head. But this movie just ruined the whole book! There was nothing correct or well done about it! The worst book to movie I have ever seen!!!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I have not read this book yet, but still found the movie lacking. I wanted MORE. More detail, more plot line, more info. :(

message 38: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't watch it...just no im not even going to bother watching the rest of them. :(

message 39: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

I have plans to watch the movies again soon....but only to rip them to shreds with my friend who also loves the books! Making fun of them is really the only thing these movies are good for....

message 40: by Joya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joya (hawkrose13) I thought the books were amazing...but I didn't really like the movies. I own them and when ever I need to let some anger out, I watch the movies and yelling at the parts that they got wrong.

I hate how Annabeth and Percy are 17 instead of 12. I mean yes I love Alexandria and Logan but I really think that they should of been younger. I really wish that they portrayed Annabeth as a blonde instead. Maybe they could of had Alexandria as Clarisse in the second movie and Leven as Annabeth.

I also think that they should of had Clarisse in the first movie.

message 41: by Dana, SuperMod (new) - rated it 5 stars

I agree so much!!! My friend and I totally ripped the first one to shreds one time, so when we have time I want to sit and watch both together so we can play that fun game all over again! He has not seen the second one yet...but I know he will hate it as much as everyone else who watched it after reading the book! haha

message 42: by Lucy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lucy | 1 comments It's like they didn't read the books before making the first movie, so Annabeth's hair is black. And then they decided to read the books and realised, Oh, right, Annabeth should be blond. So let's just make her blond in the second movie and hope no one realises.

And the scene at the riverside, after Capture the Flag. It seems like Annabeth hates Percy! So wrong.

message 43: by Joya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joya (hawkrose13) Yeah and Percy is supposed to be on Annabeth's team in Capture the Flag.

message 44: by Jeannette (new) - added it

Jeannette | 5 comments I didn't like these movies they were a real let down

message 45: by Joya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joya (hawkrose13) Yeah they were. I I had to chose which movie I liked most out of the two of them, I would chose the Lightning Thief. At school a couple of my friends and I were ranting about the movies.

Victoria Scott I quite enjoyed the movie when I'd only read the first book years ago. Now I've read just about the whole series, and I want to avoid re watching them!! I was so confused at a lot of the scenes when I read it, because I didn't remember it or it went differently in the movie. So frustrating!

message 47: by Meka (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meka I get so annoyed when i watch it... They left so much stuff out... and why did they make a second... it ruined it even more....

message 48: by Emma ❀ (new)

Emma ❀ (emmaisamess) | 10 comments I refuse to talk about this. It's a taboo topic in thr fandom.

message 49: by Emma ❀ (new)

Emma ❀ (emmaisamess) | 10 comments I refuse to talk about this. It's a taboo topic in thr fandom.

Rachel (rachelblaike) | 5 comments YAY. I'm so glad we're ranting about this. The books were FAR superior. The movies were so cheesy, and obnoxious. Can we talk about the fact that Annabeth didn't even have blonde hair in the first movie? And Clarisse wasn't even IN it. All the actors/actresess are waaaaay too old. I'm praying for a reboot. maybe a tv show, that includes the other books too. Dream casting anyone??

« previous 1