5000 Members discussion

Movie chat > percy jackson

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Chris/im a doctor who fan chat about percy jackson here

message 2: by Ollie (new)

Ollie Bradshaw (sebastian-bach) | 374 comments Mod
the movie screwed It up so bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Ugh!! So true!! When I watched the movie, I was like:
WHAT THE HELL?!?!?!
Book was great though.

Marie -The Reading Otter (thereadingotter) I actually preferred the movies over the books *hides*

Chris/im a doctor who fan i liked the movies

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

!!! Are guys serious??????
In the first 30 minutes of the movie there was so many mistakes, I've lost count.

But, it's okay. I hated the movie. Books were awesome!

Chris/im a doctor who fan i like the movies

message 8: by Marie -The Reading Otter (last edited Feb 16, 2014 06:33PM) (new)

Marie -The Reading Otter (thereadingotter) Well, I think the reason why I liked the books less is
A) I am a bit older than the target audience (me being 27)

B) I know a decent amount of Greek mythology and know that he just took existing myths and re-wrote them with his own characters, so the books aren't really that original

C) My creative writing professor wouldn't let us write in first person because he said it took away from the danger our characters got into because since they were telling the story we knew they made it out fine.

and lastly, in all honesty those books were kind of poorly written. Percy sounded like an 11 year old all the way to the end of the series, the character's voice never got older with him, and I liked that they made him older in the movie so that it didn't seem as much of a Harry Potter rip-off.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Amazing points Marie! :-)

message 10: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire The movies could have been so much better, if they had simply stuck with the books. Sure, the books aren't brilliantly written but they are a lot of fun. I still haven't seen the second movie but if it's anything like the first, I may just skip it.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Lauren, I watched the second one.
It was better than the first one but by a little. :-|

message 12: by Katie (new)

Katie | 12 comments Not just a little, it was actually really good. I was impressed. Much better than the first one. :)

message 13: by Yesenia (new)

Yesenia Maqueda (annechase) | 1 comments To be honest, I can't really blame the people who liked the movie better than the book. Everyone has their tastes, right? But I stand firm in the belief that the movie should have sticked more to the book. That way all the fans would have followed faithfully the movies to the end. There was also the fact that, the book, in fact, didn't make the "inner voice" of percy slightly older, but that was because he actually, in the inside, didn't actually grow. He's supposed to be immature, and that's why he doesn't seem older in the books.