The Book Was Better discussion

GENERAL > Worst Book to Movie Translation!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 449 (449 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Dana Burkey (danaburkey) | 1690 comments Mod
What movie made you yell at the screen the most? I will sad, I recently thew tea bags while watching a movie in theaters..... :/

message 2: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments Well its hard to pick one. I'd say the worst movie adaptation I've seen was My Sister's Keeper. Let's just say in one version the girl with cancer dies and in another version the girl with cancer lives! The movie completely and utterly changed the entire meaning of the story. I mean if that is the story the movie writers wanted to tell, fine, whatever, but don't title it after a book and completely change the purpose of the story. I understand why some movies have to leave out smaller story lines, smaller details, dialogue, etc due to time, but this wasn't a time issue...they apparently didn't like the book ending and just created their own. Totally stupid.

Also, The Notebook movie ticked me off as well. I don't normally read romance, but I enjoyed the book because half of the novel was the couple coping with the effects of alzheimers and learning to love despite the challenges of old age. The movie was like 95% youth, beauty, sex, and 5% old people. I wouldn't have a problem with the movie in itself, I'm just very disapointed that the movie writers didn't take the opportunity to share the beauty and blessings that can be found in old age. Our society in general worships sex, youth, & beauty and we don't respect or honor our elderly, so I was sorely disapointed to see the missed opportunity.

message 3: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments Dana wrote: "What movie made you yell at the screen the most? I will sad, I recently thew tea bags while watching a movie in theaters..... :/"

which movie?!

message 4: by Jasmina (new)

Jasmina Oh wow, the worst of all times has got to be the movie adaption of The Vampire's Assistant (Cirque Du Freak, #2) by Darren Shan . It's been so long and I've yet to forget about it. Not only was the movie delayed because the author didn't like it (or so it was told), but it didn't even follow the book accordingly. It was literally made in to a comedy film, which the books aren't,- and three books got smashed in to one movie. Awful.

message 5: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Dana wrote: "What movie made you yell at the screen the most? I will sad, I recently thew tea bags while watching a movie in theaters..... :/"

It was during Enders Game. I said at the start I was going to throw something if they made Ender and Petra have a thing. The only thing I had in my purse was a tea bag, so I went with it! haha

message 6: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Jasmina wrote: "Oh wow, the worst of all times has got to be the movie adaption of The Vampire's Assistant (Cirque Du Freak, #2) by Darren Shan. It's been so long and I've yet to forget about it. Not only was the movie delayed becaus..."

I actually did not fully realize it was a book! But I heard really bad things about the movie, so maybe I will skip the movie but check out the book for sure! :)

message 7: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Marika wrote: "Well its hard to pick one. I'd say the worst movie adaptation I've seen was My Sister's Keeper. Let's just say in one version the girl with cancer dies and in another version the girl with cancer l..."

I agree about the Notebook, and most of the movies made from Nicholas Spark books (COUGH COUGH a walk to remember COUGH COUGH!)

message 8: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Jenna wrote: "Safe Haven was a terrible book compared to the movie."

Wait, so the book was WORSE than the movie? Interesting! That does not happen often, but can for sure!

message 9: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Trying to think of my most hated Adaptation... HARRY POTTER! I mean like all films I realise there is only so much you can do budget wise but this one made me want to throw something at the screen! One of my pet peeves was not adding Peeves the poltergeist! I mean they had the other ghosts why not him! But yeah too many to name. Plus first movie (most hated) because Daniel Radcliff was so new to acting that well he couldn't act! I like getting unknowns for roles but sometimes like this instance not cool!

message 10: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Sam wrote: "Trying to think of my most hated Adaptation... HARRY POTTER! I mean like all films I realise there is only so much you can do budget wise but this one made me want to throw something at the screen!..."

I don't have any exposure to the Harry Potter series (shocking, I know) but I know there are a lot of people with big thoughts on those movies/books. Feel free to start a discussion topic on the movies. I have a feeling there will be a lot of people to help you verbally throw things at the screen on that one! :)

message 11: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Marika wrote: "Well its hard to pick one. I'd say the worst movie adaptation I've seen was My Sister's Keeper. Let's just say in one version the girl with cancer dies and in another version the girl with cancer l..."

I've been meaning to read My sister's keeper, unlike my sister who waits for the movies... dont get me started on that point coz when she see's the first in a trilogy *cough* Hunger Games *cough* she will pick up the second book and start reading from there! ahh drives me nuts! Anyway back to what i was saying... I will hold off watching films if i know there is a book! :) Except when i did watch Hunger Games first. Dont judge me I was travelling at the time! haha

message 12: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Sam wrote: "Marika wrote: "Well its hard to pick one. I'd say the worst movie adaptation I've seen was My Sister's Keeper. Let's just say in one version the girl with cancer dies and in another version the gir..."

Just knowing that about your sister drives me nuts too!! How can she do that?!?!?!?!

message 13: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Dana wrote: "Sam wrote: "Marika wrote: "Well its hard to pick one. I'd say the worst movie adaptation I've seen was My Sister's Keeper. Let's just say in one version the girl with cancer dies and in another ver..."

I know right! I tell her things she has missed because she tells me she can't read the book now she knows what is going to happen! ahhh!

message 14: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Jenna wrote: "Dana wrote: "Jenna wrote: "Safe Haven was a terrible book compared to the movie."

Wait, so the book was WORSE than the movie? Interesting! That does not happen often, but can for sure!"

Yes! I wa..."

Wow! I am kind of intrigued now... I've seen the movie is on Netflix but did not watch it. Now I am debating watching the movie and skipping over the book. Although it did look rather like a chick-flick, and that is my least favorite kind of movie by a TUN! Hmmmm

message 15: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Jenna wrote: "haha. I recommend the movie."

I will have to take a look at it later this week when I finish the book I am reading...and maybe the one after that since I am trying to finish it and give it to a kid I work with! :)

message 16: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Oh I thought of another... The beautiful creatures’ movie and book! I watched the movie after reading the book... crap! Book had so much potential but really i finished reading the second book and haven't been keen to pick up the next. I bought the series on kindle... maybe i was in the wrong mind set while reading but hated the movie!

message 17: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments oh another... Dan Browns Andgels' and demons! I love the book and didn't mind both movies (A&D and Da Vinci Code) but couldn't get my mind around Tom Hanks playing Robert Langdon! I mean in the book Robert is suppose to be sexy... no offence to Tom coz he can act but he ruined Robert for me.

message 18: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I had actually never heard of those until I just looked it up. Watched the trailer and it does not look like something I want to see really... I'm sure the book is better, but I still don't know if it is one I could get in to as much.

message 19: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Sam wrote: "oh another... Dan Browns Andgels' and demons! I love the book and didn't mind both movies (A&D and Da Vinci Code) but couldn't get my mind around Tom Hanks playing Robert Langdon! I mean in the boo..."

I actually read Da Vinci Code but never saw it... Might get around to it one of these days.....Maybe... haha

message 20: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Dana wrote: "I had actually never heard of those until I just looked it up. Watched the trailer and it does not look like something I want to see really... I'm sure the book is better, but I still don't know if..."

trust me not worth your time :)

message 21: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments Dana wrote: "Sam wrote: "oh another... Dan Browns Andgels' and demons! I love the book and didn't mind both movies (A&D and Da Vinci Code) but couldn't get my mind around Tom Hanks playing Robert Langdon! I mea..."

well if you end up watching it... watch Angels and Demons first :) I like it better, the book as well.

message 22: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Interesting. I will see if I get in the mood for those one day and might just do them both in a row (my fav way to watch movies in a series).

message 23: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments I use to work at Westminster Abbey in London so know certain scenes couldn't have worked... they couldn't get the film rights to film inside the Abby. So the movie just shows them running towards it then cuts to their sound stage coz they ended up building the inside. They even had a special book for sale in the gift shop (where i worked) telling people the differences and the Truth! haha never read it myself as I know it’s just a piece of fiction. But after the movie came out the amount of tourists asking where Sir Isaac Newton's monument was etc. pretty funny :)

message 24: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Haha nice! Yeah, I wanted to read the book in the first place due to all the controversy that was going on when it came out, but then by the time I was done with the book I did not care enough to see the movie or stick with the series. I just felt sort of blah about it...

message 25: by Sam (new)

Sam | 606 comments I find you can't force yourself to read something you don’t like or dont feel in the mood for *cough school cough* you end up having the completely opposite reaction the writer intended and you dont get the best grades :)

message 26: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Exactly!! I have some friends who have not read AT ALL since grad school thanks to teachers and assignments ruining it for them! So thankful I just had to read some plays in college, and still have plenty of time and desire to read on my own!

message 27: by beth (new)

beth (beth01) Percy Jackson/ Just, that is THE WORST...

message 28: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

haha I agree! My campers and I discussed this in length this summer at camp..... but then one kid in our cabin group claimed it to be the best!!! He might have read the books while half asleep or something.... ugh!

message 29: by beth (new)

beth (beth01) IT IS TERRIBLE!!!!!

message 30: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany McFly (tiffmcfly) There's a book called Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer that was adapted to a movie a few years back. And I actually watched the film first and loved it, but was confused by a scene when one of the characters kill themselves. The movie starts off very quirky and bright but turns darker towards the end, but still, it felt out of nowhere.

But last year, I got a hold of a copy and read it, and it makes so much more sense. Something that happened to this character when he was young was changed in the movie and they shouldn't have! It makes no sense (I don't want to get too into detail and spoil anything). And kind of ruins the ending of the movie.

message 31: by Tati (new)

Tati (ignite_her1) | 7 comments I read the Vampire Academy series, and it was amazing. I got so pumped to see the movie, but in the end I was disappointed. Like the if you haven't read the books, the movie is still good, but compared to the book....like I said I was disappointed. I think they really could have done a better job with it.

message 32: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I am still on the fence as to weather or not to read those books.... I have a lot of other books I need to get to soon anyways, so it's not a pressing matter really... but still something I have thought about and can't decide one way or the other yet... The movie looked like a school version of twilight with shorter skirts and more sex scenes so I am not sure how I feel about it with that thrown in as well...

message 33: by Tati (new)

Tati (ignite_her1) | 7 comments Dana wrote: "I am still on the fence as to weather or not to read those books.... I have a lot of other books I need to get to soon anyways, so it's not a pressing matter really... but still something I have th..."

actually there weren't any sex sense in the movie, and as for the book it just says what she was thinking during those sexual moments, unlike twilight. the movie was made into sorf of a comedy which is what ruined it. I think the trailer is giving you the wrong idea of the book, overall in my opinion I think the vampire academy series was better than twilight.

message 34: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Hmmm good to know! Like I said, I have some other books I need to get to first, so I have time to decide. But, it keeps popping up in my suggestions based on what I read and like so I am for sure thinking about it! :)

message 35: by Tati (new)

Tati (ignite_her1) | 7 comments Dana wrote: "Hmmm good to know! Like I said, I have some other books I need to get to first, so I have time to decide. But, it keeps popping up in my suggestions based on what I read and like so I am for sure ..."
that's great im sure you'll love it(=

message 36: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I will let you know when I gt around to reading it! :)

message 37: by Tati (last edited Feb 16, 2014 08:25PM) (new)

Tati (ignite_her1) | 7 comments Dana wrote: "I will let you know when I gt around to reading it! :)"

cant wait!! c:

message 38: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Jenna*Jesus Saves* wrote: "Safe Haven was a terrible book compared to the movie."

So I was at my friends house recently and she owns Safe Haven! I am borrowing the book and should be starting it soon so I can see the movie. I'm really interested to see how they differ! :)

message 39: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments Tiffany wrote: "There's a book called Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer that was adapted to a movie a few years back. And I actually watched the film first and loved it, but was confused by a scene..."

Good to know! I really enjoyed the movie and didn't know it was a book. Now its on my reading list.

message 40: by Marika (new)

Marika | 187 comments Well I watched Percy Jackson and the lightening thief without realizing they were books so I enjoyed the movie. BUT I have heard from an overwhelming amount of people that the movie ruined some things so the books are deffinitely on my reading list.

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. I wanted to strangle that satyr. Awful portrayal. When I read the book, I loved it so much, I didn't even complain that Athena supposedly has offspring.

Also, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. For a book that is full of quidditch, the movie had zilch.

message 42: by Blueberry (last edited Mar 24, 2014 08:49PM) (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) My son would agree with Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief but I would definitely say The Children of Men. I read in an interview that the director never even read the book! He had a screenwriter write the script and then a second one rewrite it from the first.

message 43: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

I have not heard of The Children of Men. Might have to look into it! I don't understand how they would even LET a director make a movie without an understanding of the book..... That is completely ridiculous! I have a feeling no one who read the book could even like a movie done like that AT ALL!

message 44: by Blueberry (last edited Mar 25, 2014 01:09PM) (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) Here's links for you.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206634/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children... (scroll down to the Production secton). I see now it actually says he read an abridged version. The book was good. I gave it 4 stars.

message 45: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) Slumdog Millionaire, even thought it was all of those awards was not as good as the amazing book. The book's original title was Q and A.

message 46: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

What Slumdog was a book?!?!? I love love love love loved that movie!!!! I am freaking out right now, and totally need to read that book!!!!!!!!

I really need to delete this group and never go on Goodreads again so I can actually have free time away from reading! I have way too many books on my "to read" list!! hahahah

message 47: by Dana, SuperMod (new)

Oh, and thanks for the info on Children of Men. It looks really good! I might need to get that one soon as well! :)

Cate (The Professional Fangirl) (chaostheory08) | 458 comments Aw, I quite liked Slumdog Millionaire. :)

message 49: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) Post about Slumdog after you read it!

message 50: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) Cate, I thought the movie was really good. Just that the book was even better.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9