Around the World in 80 Books discussion

ATW in 80 Books World Challenge > Janet - Circumnavigator (Never Ending)

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janet C-B (last edited Mar 21, 2014 09:33PM) (new)

Janet C-B (goodreadscomjanbookfan) I am new to this group, and trying to find my way. Since it is still early in 2014, I will start listing my books for this year, then figure out what to do next.

Janet's Book Travels
[image error]
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com

EUROPE
England The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry
France The Painted Girls

ASIA
Japan The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism
Viet Nam Double Exposure: A Veteran Returns to Vietnam
Pakistan I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban
Syria & Armenia The Sandcastle Girls (Feb)
South Korea The Korean Word For Butterfly (March, 2014) 2stars

AFRICA

NORTH AMERICA
US (CA) Of Mice and Men
US (WA) Songs of Willow Frost
US (LA) Si-cology 1: Tales and Wisdom from Duck Dynasty’s Favorite Uncle

CARIBBEAN/ Central America

Cuba The Old Man and the Sea

SOUTH AMERICA

AUSTRALIA/ NEW ZEALAND
Australia In a Sunburned Country

ANTARCTICA

2014: 4 regions, 10 countries

message 2: by Janet C-B (new)

Janet C-B (goodreadscomjanbookfan) This is going to be a good challenge for me. I am not sure my 6th Grade geography class prepared me for this....and there have been so many changes in countries in the past few decades. Looking forward to the challenge.

Next, I am going to try to figure out how to post one of those world maps to help me track my travels. It looks like it would be easier to do on my laptop rather than tablet. Maybe later....

message 3: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12911 comments Welcome to the challenge, Janet! Happy travels!

message 4: by Janet C-B (new)

Janet C-B (goodreadscomjanbookfan) Thanks, Diane. Looks like my kind of group.

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) | 93 comments Janet wrote: "This is going to be a good challenge for me. I am not sure my 6th Grade geography class prepared me for this....and there have been so many changes in countries in the past few decades. Looking for..."

Janet the maps are really easy, but..they don't update automatically you have to fill it out each time, copy the link then post to your thread. You could do it after each book and delete the old map each time or every month, or....oh the possibilities are endless. Off you go...

message 6: by Janet C-B (new)

Janet C-B (goodreadscomjanbookfan) Thanks Powder River Rose. Since I got a tablet about 1 yr ago, I find that I spend very little time on my computer. I think it will be easier to upload the maps from my computer, than this tablet. I am still on the learning curve with Windows 8 on my computer, so everything seems a bit more difficult than usual. I will get there. Love the visual..

Thanks for your tips.

Powder River Rose (powderriverrose) | 93 comments There's no real uploading, it's just copying the link. I do it with my Nook. Really it's very simple. My main computer crashed and I'll be getting a new computer and win 8 soon; keeping fingers crossed that it won't be too aggravating a transition.

Visual? Oh do you mean my avatar(picture). He he, that's what happened after this month's reading of....oh I'm not sure I'm ready to say his name yet, the change could happen again..... go to the discussion thread of absalom, absalom for all the fun.

message 8: by Janet C-B (new)

Janet C-B (goodreadscomjanbookfan) Finished The Sandcastle Girls last Tues.

Setting: Syria & Armenia

3 regions
7 countries

message 9: by Janet C-B (new)

Janet C-B (goodreadscomjanbookfan) Read a novel set in South Korea in 2002. The Korean Word For Butterfly was free on amazon, and self published. I rated it 2 stars. Not my type of writing.

message 10: by Janet C-B (new)

Janet C-B (goodreadscomjanbookfan) Just finished the audio book The Painted Girls set in Paris in 1878. It have me a feel for place and time, social issues and the arts scene in Paris at the end of the 19th Century. It was not a favorite book of mine. I would describe it more like, "eat your vegetables" when I would rather indulge in chocolate! Rated 3 stars, worthwhile, but it didn't grab me.

message 11: by Janet C-B (new)

Janet C-B (goodreadscomjanbookfan) Read The Old Man and the Sea last night. I enjoyed it...rated it 4 stars.

I think I will need to add another "region" category...the Carribean. This book is set off the coast of Cuba. I do not consider Cuba to be part of North America or South America, thus new category.

4 regions, 8 countries

message 12: by Anne (new)

Anne (papergirl42) | 328 comments Janet wrote: "Read The Old Man and the Sea last night. I enjoyed it...rated it 4 stars.

I think I will need to add another "region" category...the Carribean. This book is set off the coast of Cuba. ..."
THE CARIBBEAN is already a category.