Bookmarks Subscribers discussion

May/June 2009 > The Women - T.C. Boyle

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (new)

Jen (jeninseattle) I just finished The Women. I picked it up b/c I'm fascinated by all things Frank Lloyd Wright, not b/c I'm a huge Boyle fan. I have to say that I am a bit disapointed. The narrator is odd, there are footnotes (in fiction!) and the backwards chronology, though understandable for the ending, is a bit confusing. Anyone else run into these issues with the book?

message 2: by Betsy (new)

Betsy (ebburtis) | 1266 comments I haven't read this one yet, but it is on the TBR list. I loved Boyle's Tortilla Curtain. I read Loving Frank for bookgroup and really enjoyed it. I thought it was bad luck, timing or karma for Boyle to come out with a book on the same topic within the same year, and one that had gotten pretty good reception.

Based on your review here, it may go close to the bottom of the TBR pile now!

message 3: by Jaime (new)

Jaime | 216 comments Thanks for posting about this book. I was curious. I recently read The Inner Circle by Boyle. It's a fictional account of Alfred Kinsey and his team. It was okay, but not really great. The pacing was slow. I've heard great things about other Boyle books, like Drop City and Tortilla Curtain, but hadn't heard anything about The Women, which is the one that sounded the most interesting to me. I guess I'll hold off until I can find a cheap, used copy somewhere!

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen (jeninseattle) Betsy - if you have really like the T.C. Boyle that you have read in the past, I think you might really like The Women. My complaints about The Women (except the weird narrator - which I could live with, and the footnotes) are the same complaints I've had about other Boyle books. You would think that I would have learned my lesson.

I read World's End for my book group and no one really care for it (despite it winning the PEN/Faulkner award)and I also read Riven Rock, and liked the topic but not the book so much.

So Jaime - if you weren't a big fan of The Inner Circle because of pacing and what not, I'd suggest paperback. :-) I know some people really love Boyle's work, but I am just not that thrilled. They're fine, but for me, not worth picking up over and over.