Annihilation Annihilation discussion

Favorite character? *spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Andrew Brenycz Mine has got to be the surveyor. I was totally rooting for her to kick ass and survive. But I guess there's always hope her doppleganger might show up.

June absolutely loved annihilation! my fav was the biologist, she was able to forge on, mentally and physically. i think we will meet some of these characters again.can't wait till authority! published in may.

Zebulon Hollen The biologist by far! Her attitude and air of acceptance makes me appreciate what shes going through. It is as if she understands that the world works in weird ways and with that accepts her own fate.

Donna My favorite character was the biologist's husband. He had to have been one patient man to live with someone so closed off. Plus, I thought it was generous of him to write his journal with his wife in mind, including margin notes on things of interest to her and photographs that he took with her in mind. He seemed like a very strong man. I wonder if he survived and was staying on the island, awaiting his wife. I don't think that the man who crossed the border and returned home was truly him.

Jared The surveyor– her personality and motivation had me rooting for her all the way. Too bad the landscape got the better of her; the scene where the biologist finds her journal and reads the last line– "the anthropologist tried to come back, but I took care of her"- gave me a strong case of the chills.

Paul Harmon This really didnt feel like a character discussion kind of book to me it seems to be about Area X with, in the case of the first book, the biologist as a guide.

Julie Donna wrote: "My favorite character was the biologist's husband. He had to have been one patient man to live with someone so closed off. Plus, I thought it was generous of him to write his journal with his wife ..."

I agree!

Andrew Brenycz Awesome replies. The husband was definitely interesting, especially with the odd nickname he gave the biologist.

I just finished reading the 2nd book Authority, hopefully you guys have that on your to-read lists too. Lots of interesting characters in it as well.

Christopher Walborn Paul wrote: "This really didnt feel like a character discussion kind of book to me..."

I agree. The characters are suggestions of characters, traces, outlines, detached from the reader and not developed because they were not the subjects of the biologist's interest.

From biologist's POV, it seems to me that even Area X was only important to the extent that it cut through her boundaries, infected her, changed her. In a sense a relationship built between Area X and the biologist where her relationships with people all failed due to her aloofness.

I kinda think Annihilation wasn't so much about Area X as it was about the dissolution of the biologist's well kept boundaries.

message 10: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed Morawski Christopher wrote: "Paul wrote: "This really didnt feel like a character discussion kind of book to me..."

I agree. The characters are suggestions of characters, traces, outlines, detached from the reader and not dev..."

I loved the book and I agree about the characters being outlines- and that's for a reason. Wait till you read 'Authority' though !!!!

message 11: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Nix Donna wrote: "I don't think that the man who crossed the border and returned home was truly him."

Uh....yeah. Totally agree. I think that was pretty much implied. (view spoiler)

My favorite character was probably the husband, but I think that's because he's the only one who seemed very human to me.

I love this book. I had no idea how much I would love it. So creepy and awesome. I love so many unresolved issues. I wish it didn't have a second book.

message 12: by Karl (new) - rated it 4 stars

Karl Liz wrote: "Donna wrote: "I don't think that the man who crossed the border and returned home was truly him."

Uh....yeah. Totally agree. I think that was pretty much implied. [spoilers removed]

My favorite c..."

And the third book comes out in September.

message 13: by Hans (new) - rated it 3 stars

Hans Brienesse Paul wrote: "This really didnt feel like a character discussion kind of book to me it seems to be about Area X with, in the case of the first book, the biologist as a guide."

I totally agree, the life forms I just cannot wait to see how they pan out.

Andrew Brenycz One day until the third and final book comes out! I'm gonna have to restrain myself from reading the whole thing really fast and take my time with it.