Comic books/Graphic novels/Manga Reading Challenges discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
I have been meaning to start the X-Men comics. But not sure where to start. I don't know if I want to start at the beginning.

Any ideas?

message 2: by Mike, The Moderator in the Darkness (last edited Feb 09, 2014 11:08AM) (new)

Mike | 257 comments Mod
Hmm. You might miss some of the layers not being familiar with the characters ahead of time, but Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men is fantastic and should stand fairly well on it's own. It starts with Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 1: Gifted and is four trades total.

Some well loved more "classic" stand alone X-Men stories that might be good introductions include X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills and X-Men: Days of Future Past.

message 3: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
Thank you so much will try and get hold of X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills and X-Men: Days of Future Past and then start Astonishing X-Men! Can't wait :)

message 4: by Mike, The Moderator in the Darkness (new)

Mike | 257 comments Mod
You're welcome. :) One thing to be aware of for the older stuff - while Claremont is one of the best X-Men writers ever his stuff is very different in style and extremely wordy by today's standards. Just something to keep in mind.

message 5: by Lu, Rarity Fan (new)

Lu | 360 comments Mod
Will keep that in mind :) Ty!