Indie Book Club discussion

General > Are newsletters effective?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sean (new)

Sean McLachlan | 68 comments I'm thinking of starting a newsletter but I'm not sure how effective they are. I have only two novels out (one just came out Feb. 1) but I'm going to be publishing a lot this year, starting two series and doing several standalone works.
Does anyone here do a writer's newsletter? What have your experiences been? What has/hasn't worked for you?

message 2: by R.A. (new)

R.A. White (rawhite) | 131 comments I haven't done it, and so I can't give a guess as to how effective they are, but I can say that my husband and I get Dean Koontz's newsletter, and we always read it greedily. He writes about books that are coming up, but he also tells outlandishly funny stories about things that happen to him in the industry. Usually the things that happen aren't funny in and of themselves, but he twists them in the retelling. All that to say, if you want to do a newsletter, fill it with entertaining stories that people will want to read, rather than just announcing your news, and it may go well. Now I need to take some of my own advice and post some interesting things on facebook. I just don't like doing it.

message 3: by Larry (last edited Feb 11, 2014 07:56AM) (new)

Larry Hochwald (larryhochwald) | 17 comments I haven't tried that yet, with only one book out. I know a few fiction authors with varying levels of success and none of them do it. I was impressed to see, from R.A.'s comment,that Dean Koontz does it. I am contact, as a fan, with some prominent authors and it seems to me they focus on disseminating their info and interesting stories via their Facebook and webpages, both of which I do. I know many more non-fiction authors that use email newsletters and email alerts. Showing their information remains current and relevant is very important to them.

message 4: by R.A. (new)

R.A. White (rawhite) | 131 comments I think he occasionally tweets, as well, and I know he has some kind of site. It may be that a lot of his fans are older and not into that kind of thing. Anyway, I enjoy getting it all at once. He often posts his tweets in there somewhere.