All About Books discussion

General Archive > Literary Crush

Comments Showing 1-50 of 187 (187 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Dhanaraj (new)

Dhanaraj Rajan | 2962 comments As February 14 comes closer I thought it would be appropriate to speak of one's 'literary crushes'. I hardly believe in a reader who says that he/she has never fallen in love with an author or a character. I think it is a fun to know of one's 'literary crushes'.

message 2: by Dhanaraj (last edited Feb 09, 2014 08:41AM) (new)

Dhanaraj Rajan | 2962 comments Let me start with my own story. For a long time I had 'literary crush' on the character Hester Prynne of THE SCARLET LETTER fame.

But of late I am falling in love with an author. That is Sigrid Undset. These days I imagine/dream often of declaring my love to her. Lol....

message 3: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Interesting! I'm curious too to read about the secret "love-affairs" of the other members.

I'm in love with Fyodor Dostoyevsky and, above all, with Prince Myskin the main character of The Idiot. But mine is a "clean" love, it is something like love due to compassion and admiration. Like prince Myskin's love for Nastasja.

message 4: by Clare (new)

Clare (clarepenelopeliggins) Mr Rochester!

message 5: by Charbel (new)

Charbel (queez) | 2662 comments There are so many!

Authors: JK Rowling, Jane Austen, Nadia Tueni, Emily Brontë, and nowGeorge Eliot.

Characters: Jane Eyre, Anna Karenina, Hermione Granger, and Fantine from Les Miserables.

I guess I just fall for strong women who have been pushed around by life.

message 6: by Dhanaraj (new)

Dhanaraj Rajan | 2962 comments @dely: I loved the expression 'secret love-affairs'. And I am also very curious to know of the love affairs of others. Lol......

message 7: by Pink (new)

Pink hmm, my love of authors isn't really a literary crush. I mean I love Orwell, Waugh and Fitzgerald, but not at all in a romantic sense!

Character crushes... I don't think I have romantic feelings for any of the male characters I enjoy reading. Whereas I usually 'love' the strong lead female characters, though still not in a romantic sense!

message 8: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) Oh god.

If I was into guys, probably Rochester. But alas, I'm not. So I'll go for Hermione Granger, and Dany from GoT.

message 9: by Charbel (new)

Charbel (queez) | 2662 comments @Pink- I didn't choose mine in a romantic sense. I picked women who have qualities that I wouldn't mind having in a girlfriend.

@Holly- Forgot all about GoT! Dany should definitely be on the list!

message 10: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1192 comments Omy ! I think most people are aware of my 'passion' for Charles Dickens even my partner says I'm obsessed. But faithless mind (for a love affair of the mind is what this is) I confess to another F. Scott Fitzgerald his writing is beautiful and touches my soul. :)

message 11: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) I'm finding this really hard too!! It may be because like Pink, I don't get romantic feelings for any character, though I can admire them enormously. And that doesn't seem attached to gender...

You may think this is weird, but Thomas Hardy 's Jude Fawley is one. Mary Anning (real person, but also in Tracey Chevalier 'sRemarkable Creatures ) is another.

message 12: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Ah! Now if we're talking authors then it has to be Elizabeth Gaskell . What a woman!

Oh dear. I can't think of a male one. Dickens's views on women means that I'd find it really difficult chatting over a cuppa, never mind anything else LOL!

message 13: by Bionic Jean (last edited Feb 09, 2014 11:05AM) (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) I've got very twitchy about this now, and asked Chris (husband) if he ever fell in love with characters in novels. "Very occasionally," he said:

Princess Flavia in The Prisoner of Zenda by Anthony Hope (he insists this was a long time ago!) and Countess Belvane in Once on a Time by A. A. Milne. Apparently one is a bad girl and one is a good girl...

message 14: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Tracey ,
Now I know for sure why we are friends - I have loved Fitzgerald for years and if I had to choose a character it would be Gatsby .

message 15: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1192 comments Gatsby is perfect Angela and Sydney Carton from A Tale of Two Cities mmmm.

message 16: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) I can't dissociate those two characters from Robert Redford and Dirk Bogarde though...

message 17: by Angela M (new)

Angela M I had visions of Gatsby before Robert Redford ......showing my age , I know .

message 18: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1192 comments Oh no Jean and arrrggghhh no Leonardo di Caprio lol

message 19: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) LOL Fortunately I haven't seen that version, Tracey! And I saw the Redford film first, then read the book and was disappointed in the character - didn't seem so enigmatic any more.

Thought of a male author now: H G Wells . Amazing man!

message 20: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (traceypb) | 1192 comments Oh definitely Jean H G Wells is wonderful. As for the di Caprio version it is an extravaganza of the senses and the party scenes of which there are many are incredible.

message 21: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments I know no good would come from it(!), but my 'secret love' is Carver Doone from Lorna Doone: A Romance of Exmoor.

message 22: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) LOL - C'mon, surely somebody must secretly be in love with Heathcliff?

message 23: by Aitziber (new)

Aitziber | 13 comments Jean wrote: "LOL - C'mon, surely somebody must secretly be in love with Heathcliff?"

Haha, Kate Beaton sums up my thoughts on Heathcliff.

Vladimir Nabokov and Martin Amis are probably the closest I have to literary crushes.

message 24: by Pink (new)

Pink Jean wrote: "LOL - C'mon, surely somebody must secretly be in love with Heathcliff?"

Hmm, Jean I think Heathcliff is your secret crush.

message 25: by Giorgiaelisa (last edited Feb 09, 2014 12:41PM) (new)

Giorgiaelisa | 6 comments Authors... definitively Tolkien J.R.R., Marcel Proust and Carlo Emilio Gadda.
The only character I've ever had a crush on is Merry Brandybuck from The Lord of the Rings

message 26: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Dhanaraj wrote: "As February 14 comes closer I thought it would be appropriate to speak of one's 'literary crushes'. I hardly believe in a reader who says that he/she has never fallen in love with an author or a ch..."

I fell in love with Dorothy L. Sayers' character Lord Peter Whimsey as a teenager, and I disliked the books in which he meets Harriet Vane and falls in love, then woos and wins her!! Even now, those are my least favorite of her books...

I also had a bit of a crush on Strider in The Lord of the Rings and D'Artagnan in The Three Musketeers.

message 27: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Something must be wrong with me, because I can't for the life in me remember ever having had a literary crush on anyone. I shall think long and hard and hopefully come up with something! And preferably not Heathcliff!! Or Rochester to be honest, I am surprised he's so popular! Holly, Clare was that pre- or post Michael Fassbender playing his part in the 2011 movie adaptation ;)

message 28: by Bionic Jean (last edited Feb 09, 2014 02:08PM) (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Definitely not, Pink!!! (Winding me up nicely there...) And definitely not Bertrand Russell either. Tracey's Sydney Carton is a tempting idea, but then he's a little like Michael Henchard in The Mayor of Casterbridge - too awful to start with before their heroic qualities come out...

No, I have to assume I'm in love with Jude Fawley after all. Either him or Captain Wentworth in Jane Austen's Persuasion ...

Am I overthinking this? LOL

message 29: by Pink (last edited Feb 09, 2014 02:10PM) (new)

Pink Well if we can chose by movie portrayals, that's a completely different matter!

Jean, Bertrand Russell will be bottom of my list, I just done a 1 star review of our group philosophy read of his. I hated it. I can't imagine having to live with someone that talks like him!

message 30: by John (new)

John Frankham (johnfrankham) It has to be Elizabeth Bennett from Pride and Prejudice. And if she looks like Keira Knightley, so much the better!

Or Helen Graham from Anne Bronte's The Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

What a strong, intelligent, loving and determined pair of women.

message 31: by Bionic Jean (last edited Feb 09, 2014 02:54PM) (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Oh I really love Helen Graham. And Ayla from The Clan of the Cave Bear (also the main character in the rest of the "Earth's Children" series by Jean M. Auel )

Yep, we definitely seem to be getting a subgroup here (Pink, Jenny and me so far) who don't seem to have crushes on characters - but definite heroes of both sexes. And yes, movies are different for me too. Strider and Superman both score for me there! :D

I'll bet lots of men fall in love with Elizabeth Bennett!

message 32: by Meran (new)

Meran | 80 comments Ah, I just realized the answer to a question that always gets asked and I've never been able to answer:
Who would you want to talk to (over coffee) if it could be anyone?

My answer and one of my most favorite authors, John
Gardner of Grendel fame (and Sunlight Dialogues and The Wreckage of Agathon and so much more!)

I'd give him shit for killing himself hotdogging on his motorcycle at age 42. SO MUCH was in that beautiful mind that's been lost to his family and the world!

message 33: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I like randall flagg from stephen king's the eyes of the dragon because he's a powerful evil wizard who wants to take over the kingdom. :-)

message 34: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Jean seems to have started on movies as well. I have a crush on Hellboy, strong and vulnerable and makes me laugh.

message 35: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Meran, if it's about who I'd have coffee with I'd come up with quite a few names, though some would have to be dug out of their last resting places ;) But a candle-light dinner? Still rather clueless....

message 36: by EleonoraF (new)

EleonoraF (eleonora1679) I had a crush on Fitzwilliam Darcy and, when I saw some pictures of Colin Firth who played this character, I definitely fell in love with him...

message 37: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Gill - your crushes make me laugh out loud! Do you prefer Hellboy with or without the horns?

message 38: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13209 comments Mod
I've always been in love with Mr Darcy! He is my real Mr Right!!!
Before him of course Laurie from Little Women: I was so madly in love with him as a kid that I decided I didn't want to be Jo but Amy!!!!

message 39: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Jean wrote: "Gill - your crushes make me laugh out loud! Do you prefer Hellboy with or without the horns?"

Any way is fine with me! I know it's the wrong thread for this but I love films by Guillermo del Toro, who directed the Hellboy films. Has anyone else seen Pan's Labyrinth?Pan's Labyrinth Just checked and there is a book also!

message 40: by dely (new)

dely | 5214 comments Gill wrote: "Jean wrote: "Gill - your crushes make me laugh out loud! Do you prefer Hellboy with or without the horns?"

Any way is fine with me! I know it's the wrong thread for this but I love films by Guille..."

I have seen it. It is a wonderful film!

message 41: by Aitziber (new)

Aitziber | 13 comments Amber wrote: "I like randall flagg from stephen king's the eyes of the dragon because he's a powerful evil wizard who wants to take over the kingdom. :-)"

Amber, have you read The Stand? Randall Flagg is the big bad in that book too.

message 42: by Amber (new)

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Yeah I have aitziber, awesome book! I've always wondered if randall flagg time traveled from his land in the eyes of the dragon to the stand because he's one evil wizard.

message 43: by Terry (new)

Terry Ravenscroft (terryrazz) | 10 comments I definitely have a crush for King Kong. And I'm worried about it.

message 44: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments ...you should be!!! ;)

message 45: by Charbel (new)

Charbel (queez) | 2662 comments Terry wrote: "I definitely have a crush for King Kong. And I'm worried about it."

Lol!

message 46: by Gill (new)

Gill | 5720 comments Terry wrote: "I definitely have a crush for King Kong. And I'm worried about it."

Well, that puts my crush on Hellboy into perspective!

message 47: by LauraT (new)

LauraT (laurata) | 13209 comments Mod
Gill wrote: "Terry wrote: "I definitely have a crush for King Kong. And I'm worried about it."

Well, that puts my crush on Hellboy into perspective!"

LOL!!!

message 48: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) My all-time favourite film when I was little was "Mighty Joe Young" (remade in the 90's I think) - similar to King Kong but I thought far better. Maybe I was in love with Joe then...

message 49: by Leslie (new)

Leslie | 15985 comments Jean wrote: "My all-time favourite film when I was little was "Mighty Joe Young" (remade in the 90's I think) - similar to King Kong but I thought far better. Maybe I was in love with Joe then..."

I thought Mighty Joe Young was better too (and although the 90s remake is OK, the original is better)... However, no giant ape crushes over here :P

message 50: by Bionic Jean (new)

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) I am absolutely delighted now, Leslie! Seriously!! I have never ever met anyone else who knows this film. I usually watch it if I am under the weather and it still gets me every time :D

« previous 1 3 4