Hoyt's Huns discussion

Book Of the Month Voting > March 2014 -- Historical Fiction

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 2204 comments Mod
Nominate one historical fiction for our March read.

message 2: by Mary (new)

Snow in Summer by Jane Yolen.

Yes, it's a retelling of Snow White -- no, it doesn't have any magic.

message 3: by Celia (new)

Celia (sgtmom) | 2 comments Rosemary Sutcliff - Rider on a White Horse. (It's about the English Civil War. marvelously written!)

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex Shrugged (alex_shrugged) "Mash: A Novel About Three Army Doctors" by Richard Hooker.

This was hilarious and sort of disturbing. It's not as grim as Catch-22 but not as funny as the TV show...which was a little silly if entertaining.

message 5: by Clyde (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 306 comments The White Company by Arthur Conan Doyle

Arthur Conan Doyle is best known for his Sherlock Holmes stories, but he also wrote historical fiction. The White Company is one of his best. Doyle himself regarded it more highly than his Sherlock Holmes adventures.
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/903

message 6: by Clyde (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 306 comments Celia wrote: "Rosemary Sutcliff - Rider on a White Horse. (It's about the English Civil War. marvelously written!)"

There seems to be some name confusion about this book.
There is this:Rider on a White Horse
and this: The Rider of the White Horse
I presume they are different editions of the same book.
Unfortunately, neither edition seems available. Damnitall, I want to read it.

message 7: by Celia (new)

Celia (sgtmom) | 2 comments They are, Clyde - slightly different titles for the same book. I have a first edition, found it years ago: Rider on a White Horse ... it's a wonderful book. Looks like Amazon has some used copies, but they start at $30.

message 8: by mobius (new)

mobius wolf (mobiuswolf) | 75 comments Do we have limits on price and availability for these?

message 9: by Mary (new)

Hmm. I forgot to post this time that it's being in print is a nice touch.

Do we want to have rules about availability? Some are available on Gutenberg, and others in many libraries.

message 10: by mobius (new)

mobius wolf (mobiuswolf) | 75 comments Well this is fun, but my book budget is extremely limited.
As in, primarily limited to freebees on amazon. ;o}

message 11: by Zachary (new)

Zachary (madpoet) | 33 comments Mod
When we say "historical fiction", we're not counting things that were written as contemporary fiction at the time, right? So, Three Musketeers would not be considered "historical fiction", but Sarah's Musketeers Mysteries would?

message 12: by Mary (new)

I agree that then-contemporary fiction is not historical.

OTOH, Three Musketeers was written long after the event. (Umberto Eco has fun with it in Six Walks in the Fictional Woods, because Dumas has two streets in it that are in fact the same street -- one name was historically accurate, and the other the name it was given later, and which it could not have had at the time because the person it was named after came from a later era.)

message 13: by Clyde (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 306 comments Mary wrote: "Hmm. I forgot to post this time that it's being in print is a nice touch.

Do we want to have rules about availability? Some are available on Gutenberg, and others in many libraries."

I say yes. What is the point of a group read/discussion if most cannot get the book?

message 14: by Mary (new)

Whoops. Should have closed this yesterday.