Madam, want to talk about author Mary Stewart? discussion

OT: Openlibrary.org > Need help with Open Library?

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments I realize this is a bit OT, but I searched GR groups and can't find any threads on this. I haven't attempted OL yet, but I know there are members of this group who have borrowed books from them and thought it might be helpful to have some threads to ask questions. I see Dame Stewart's titles on in their catalog.

Hope you more experienced ladies can help us OL newbies.

message 2: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (dandelion_cottage) | 52 comments OL has instructions on borrowing ebooks here:

https://openlibrary.org/help/faq/borrow

If anyone has any other questions, I'd be glad to try to help. I love OL: I've been able to read some books I'd never be able to find otherwise. (One warning--the .epubs are pretty full of OCR scanning errors, but I've learned to just live with that to enjoy the story.)

message 3: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments Thanks, I've yet to stick my toe in the water there, but I should instead of buying old used copies.

message 4: by Julz (new)

Julz | 17 comments I just love OL. You have to download their reader, but you can upload it from there with Calibre to transfer it to whatever device you want. There's even a "read online" option. Happy reading! :D

message 5: by Diane Lynn (new)

Diane Lynn | 481 comments I really like OL for their selection of older titles. I have only used the "read online" option. I read on my desktop or iPad. It works like a regular library, you borrow the book for up to two weeks. All of the books I have read have been scanned copies of the edition they have listed so you can see the cover, unless the DJ was missing on the copy they scanned.

The only problem I have encountered is the internet connection failure message. This has always been momentary but it usually flips me back one page. There is nothing you can do about it if you read online. It's not that big of a deal, considering I probably wouldn't be able to read that particular book if it were not for OL.

I just looked and yes, most if not all of Mary Stewart's books are on OL to borrow. But lucky me, my local library has all of hers and I still prefer the dead tree version. I would encourage everyone to at least look at OL, you just might be surprised by all that they have! Happy happy reading! :)

message 6: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments Thanks ladies. I do want to give this a try.

message 7: by Judith (new)

Judith (judithgrace) | 322 comments Me too.

message 8: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments I finally did try to borrow a book and read it in my Overdrive app. Very cool, but the scanning errors in the one book I've tried were pretty bad, and it sounds like it's a bit common to have them?

message 9: by Diane Lynn (new)

Diane Lynn | 481 comments I only read online so I don't know about overdrive. When one reads online it really is just reading a copy of the old book, complete with catsup stains, dogeared corners, library withdrawn stamps and what not. At some point I will look into overdrive.

What book did you try? And were the problems so distracting that you couldn't read it? I hope whatever the problem is, it gets worked out. I wish I knew more about it to help you out but maybe someone else will chime in.

message 10: by Dorcas (new)

Dorcas (onemorepageplease) | 88 comments Yes, I know what you mean, Misfit. The scanning errors are there and hard to ignore, though I try. For the most part Overdrive "digitalizes" the book (so youre not reading a scanned copy but an ebook) and they miss out a paragraph at the end/beginning of chapters which is very frustrating and sometimes jumble a word or two.Some books are plagued worse than others.

Still I use Overdrive cos I can read the book without wifi and our library is hopeless so I like to see if I like an authors style before I jump in and buy a used book.

So Overdrive is good but not perfect.

message 11: by Dorcas (new)

Dorcas (onemorepageplease) | 88 comments Diane Lynn wrote: "I only read online so I don't know about overdrive. When one reads online it really is just reading a copy of the old book, complete with catsup stains, dogeared corners, library withdrawn stamps a..."

I do love the scanned copies, I like a nice yellowed book. I just don't like having to read on my home computer or drain the battery on my kindle by reading online with wifi...

message 12: by Diane Lynn (new)

Diane Lynn | 481 comments It really isn't ideal for me to sit at my computer either, but apparently you have the same kind of library I have, so you can understand why I do it! Like you said, it is nice to be able to try out an author before buying the books. I would love to have a good library system.

message 13: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments Hmmm, I might try reading in the browser then, since I should be able with the laptop or Fire. The one I just tried was Blind Duty, one I do own but I was hoping to get past some of the tiny font. The conversion errors were horrible. I did look at it via pdf, but that was a bit clunky to turn pages.

Oh well, trial and error. Thanks ladies.

message 14: by Misfit, Moderator (new)

Misfit | 587 comments Diane Lynn wrote: "It really isn't ideal for me to sit at my computer either, but apparently you have the same kind of library I have, so you can understand why I do it! Like you said, it is nice to be able to try ou..."

Remind me to stop and kiss the ground next time I stop at my branch...

I check the digital catalog several times a week. They are always adding more. I have at least ten I'm going to be able to move off the can you make that font any smaller shelf and into the charity box.

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 428 comments Julz wrote: "I just love OL. You have to download their reader, but you can upload it from there with Calibre to transfer it to whatever device you want. There's even a "read online" option. Happy reading! :D"

Good to know! I just found out about OL a few days ago. Have not tried it yet. Went to the site but found it confusing. Will have to check the instructions listed above.

debbicat *made of stardust* (cr8zycat) | 428 comments Dorcas wrote: "Yes, I know what you mean, Misfit. The scanning errors are there and hard to ignore, though I try. For the most part Overdrive "digitalizes" the book (so youre not reading a scanned copy but an ebo..."

I love overdrive too. It is a good way to check a book out first. My library offers 3M Cloud Library too. SImilar but has more titles I was told. So I use them both on my tablet. But haven't found any MS or VH on either of them. sigh.

message 17: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 143 comments I have been reading on openlibrary.org for awhile now, most recently read Vittoria Cottage by D.E. Stevenson (I love her) and the odd thing is I could only check the book out for one hour at a time.
so, I did, every hour I had to re-check it out. it worked, but what could be the reason for that?

message 18: by Judith (new)

Judith (judithgrace) | 322 comments It might be a glitch.
Leave the site completely. Log back in and try a different book. See if that does it.
If not you may be able to report it as a server error.

message 19: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 6 comments Jackie wrote: "I have been reading on openlibrary.org for awhile now, most recently read Vittoria Cottage by D.E. Stevenson (I love her) and the odd thing is I could only check the book out for one hour at a time..."

It has been this way since the COVID19 shut libraries in the US and created a greater demand on OL. If a book is already checked out, instead of having to wait until it is available again, you can now do an hourly read on line. If a book is not checked out you can borrow/download it as per usual.

I got an email from them regarding the various changes that have taken place with digital lending back around the end of May beginning of June from memory. I assumed they would have sent that to all who have a login to use OL.

message 20: by Judith (new)

Judith (judithgrace) | 322 comments Thanks for the update. I haven’t used OL in a while and this is good to know.

message 21: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 6 comments What I'm missing is putting a hold on a book that is checked out rather than having to go back and keep checking availability. That function isn't where it used to be if it's still available. Reading hourly is all very well, but it uses up data.

message 22: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 143 comments I don't have a data issue but I'm never reading on my phone. or I'm paying too much or something.
but I did use the putting something on hold feature and wish it would come back.

recently I "bought" a kindle book on amazon (the price was $0) and it gave me the option to loan it to a friend. all my friends have enough free books on their kindles, but I have paid for a couple in the past and I went to see if I could loan them out, too. amazon says I can "gift" them.

so, I could gift them to openlibrary - has anyone done that? I'd only do it if I had something they didn't have a copy of yet.

message 23: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 6 comments We don’t have a lending or gifting option on kindle books down here in NZ, but I’m not sure that if you gifted to OL they would then be able to loan that file out to members. You’d have to check that out.

Madam, want to talk about author Mary Stewart?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Blind Duty (other topics)