A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

Ben Stark

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Claude (new)

Claude Dancourt (claudedancourt) (Sorry if the topic already exists, couldn't find it)

I wonder what really happened to him. After 'Dance of Dragons', I can't help but think he's not dead, and might make a appearance in future books. What do you think?

Claude

message 2: by Alex (new)

Alex  S | 9 comments In earlier books, I had a notion that he was Coldhands. However, reading through forums, I think I have been otherwise convinced.

I also read a well-thought out theory that he could be posing as Daario Naharis, but that's pretty far-fetched, to me.

At this point, I have no idea. I really hope we find out in the next book, though.

message 3: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 131 comments My theory (with no underlining support whatsoever), the Great Other or if you like, the Other King, has Benjen captive, to turn him into his mouthpiece. We will not find out until book 7.

message 4: by Mitali (last edited Feb 09, 2014 10:17AM) (new)

Mitali | 117 comments I think that the only thing to be said for certain about Benjen Stark is that his role in the story is not over, and that he will turn up - dead or alive - in the story in some significant way. Also, it's probably not too much of a stretch to say that his story will tie into the war between Night's Watch and the Others, and possibly also overlap with Bran's. As a Stark and a man of the Night's Watch, his story has to be tied to the 'Winter is Coming' theme in some way, and also probably involve one or both his nephews who are in the North.

Beyond that, all bets are off, and all we can do is guess. I personally like the Benjen = Coldhands theory, but I admit it has a lot of plotholes.

message 5: by N (new)

N | 234 comments I like Benjen as Coldhands or at least part of a 'Nights Watch dissappear and become good guy dead people' gang.

message 6: by Claude (new)

Claude Dancourt (claudedancourt) If still alive, Benjen might also be the only one left who knows about Jon Snow' siring. Can't wait for the next book!

message 7: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Richter (stephenofllongbeach) | 131 comments No. Benjen does not know. There is only one person left alive who Knows, Howland Reed. That is it. And Howland Reed has never made an actually appearance in the books. Stories about, told by others, but never in the literary flesh. Next Book? GRRM has said maybe Jon's parentage will never be revealed, perhaps a bit miffed by all the certainty of the R+L= JS chatter. How cool would it be if Howland Reed somehow hooked up with Osha, Rickon & shaggydog during their journey?

message 8: by Gregg Murray (new)

Gregg Murray If you're into Reddit, they have whole threads devoted to this. http://www.reddit.com/r/asoiaf/ As people have mentioned, Daario and Coldhands are both viable options for him. Others think that he is just dead.

Eyehavenofilter | 764 comments There was something about him that I just loved. The Stark men have that certain... Something.. Cept for Jon Snow, he irritates the B'jezez out of me. But Benjen is someone I want to see again..he is... Magnetic!