YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Perfect Ruin (The Internment Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about Perfect Ruin
BUDDY READ: Dystopian/Sci-Fi > Perfect Ruin, by Lauren DeStefano. Restarting June 12th 2017

Comments Showing 1-50 of 59 (59 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Tati | 10171 comments "On the floating city of Internment, you can be anything you dream, unless you approach the edge. Morgan Stockhour knows getting too close can lead to madness, like her older brother Len, a Jumper. She takes solace in her best friend Pen, and in Basil, the boy she’s engaged to marry. When she investigates the first murder in a generation, she meets Judas. The suspect was betrothed to the victim, but Morgan believes he is innocent. Nothing can prepare Morgan for the secrets she will find – or whom she will lose."
- Taken from Goodreads

Tessa, Maddison and I will be reading this. Feel free to join!

Tessa | 1951 comments Yey! I hope this has more logic then The Chemical Garden series :) .

Tessa | 1951 comments Ok, so I started reading this one. The beginning felt mesmerizing, but I couldn't help myself from judging Morgan's nativity. Caling her world perfect and all... Also, I really don't like that name.
(view spoiler)

Tara | 210 comments Tessa wrote: "Ok, so I started reading this one. The beginning felt mesmerizing, but I couldn't help myself from judging Morgan's nativity. Caling her world perfect and all... Also, I really don't like that name..."

For some reason I thought I read in the description that her brother jumped over the edge. Huh? Although the murder was touched upon, I guess I did not realize that the murder was going to be center stage.

message 5: by Tara (last edited Feb 12, 2014 11:22AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tara | 210 comments Read through Chapter 3:
I really liked the little excerpts at the beginning of each chapter...(view spoiler)
So far I am still taking in the world she is creating. Of course, I trying not to question the physics or scientific plausibility of it all... because I could easily go off about the whole wind thing.
But more interesting to me is... (view spoiler)

message 6: by Tessa (last edited Feb 12, 2014 12:24PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tessa | 1951 comments @Tara
(view spoiler)

So far I finished the first 5 chapters and it's not a bad read, but a little slow at times.

message 7: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 47356 comments Mod
I've not started yet. It might be a few more days before I get to it.

Tati | 10171 comments I've started today, I'm still at the beginning, will post more tomorrow!

Tara | 210 comments Up to chapter 7.
I agree some of it does feel kind of slow. I find myself zoning out.
(view spoiler)

message 10: by Tati (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tati | 10171 comments I'm at around 50% and, while I'm enjoying it, I'm finding the world building a little confusing...

message 11: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 47356 comments Mod
Lol sorry won't be able to read this with you guys. Got way too much to do.

message 12: by Tara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tara | 210 comments Tatiana wrote: "I'm at around 50% and, while I'm enjoying it, I'm finding the world building a little confusing..."

I am hoping that we will find out more about how their world came to be. I also agree with the world-building too.

message 13: by Tara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tara | 210 comments I read through chapter 8
(view spoiler)

message 14: by Tessa (last edited Feb 15, 2014 02:34AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tessa | 1951 comments Finished chapter 10.
@Tara: I can't figure it out either.
(view spoiler)

Also, world building related: still zero. It's Lauren DeStefano after all. Donno what I was expecting, but I should have expected this.

message 15: by Tati (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tati | 10171 comments I finished it last night, and still have so many questions left about the world building... That was my first book by this author, so I didn't know that world building was an issue for her...

Spoiler for the end: (view spoiler)

message 16: by Tara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tara | 210 comments Tessa wrote: "Finished chapter 10.
@Tara: I can't figure it out either.

I just finished chapter 10 as well.

I think that you hit it on the nose (view spoiler)

message 17: by Tara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tara | 210 comments I am finishing up for the day at chapter 14.

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Tessa (last edited Feb 15, 2014 02:55PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tessa | 1951 comments I also like Pen, even if she's a side character. At least we know more about her than we know about Morgan. So she wins thanks to the lack of competition. I also like Basil, but he still needs a little more development and I agree with you that their love is probably a one created on lack of options. After all, isn't that why Adam accepted Eve and she loved him back? XD
(view spoiler)

message 19: by Tara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tara | 210 comments Tessa wrote: "I also like Pen, even if she's a side character. At least we know more about her than we know about Morgan. So she wins thanks to the lack of competition. I also like Basil, but he still needs a li..."

I am glad I am not alone when it comes to some of observations! I will try to get to chapter 20 tomorrow.

message 20: by Tessa (last edited Feb 16, 2014 03:50AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tessa | 1951 comments Finished this one... god... this was a painful experience. But now I'm sure. I won't read anything else from this author ever again.
(view spoiler)

And I could go on and on with the countless problems and logic flaws I found in this book, but I will stop here. Dropped series and dropped author.

message 21: by Tati (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tati | 10171 comments It wasn't that painful for me, but I was expecting more of it, to be sure... It was not bad enough to make me drop the series, but I'll know what to expect in the next book.

message 22: by Tessa (new) - rated it 1 star

Tessa | 1951 comments I probably read too many dystopias and now my expectations are very high, donno, but this book seemed for me particularly bad, not only because of the world building, but the characters were very blant as well. :(
Well, I do hope you enjoy the next book, I'm sure I won't so no reason to try XD.

message 23: by Tati (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tati | 10171 comments I'm also getting a bit tired of dystopias... It's scary how many I've already read this year

message 24: by Tara (last edited Feb 16, 2014 10:04PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tara | 210 comments I read through Chapter 20

I have gone through that dystopia rut as well at times. When I read too many of them back to back they kind of run together. Unfortunately, I am still slowly digging my way though this one. It is one of those books that I am finding is a chore and I have to set a goal of how many chapters I have to read each day to keep me going.
Trying to do 10 chapters a day, but I think I may try to finish this one up tomorrow.
(view spoiler)

message 25: by Tara (last edited Feb 16, 2014 10:03PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tara | 210 comments Tessa wrote: "I probably read too many dystopias and now my expectations are very high, donno, but this book seemed for me particularly bad, not only because of the world building, but the characters were very b..."

Yeah, I will probably read reviews on the next book and gather what I need to know from them, but I doubt I will read any more books in the series. I read Wither too, but never found that I had an interest to read the other books in that series either. I have to admit that I was lured into reading this book by its pretty cover and the promise of an interesting premise.

message 26: by Tessa (new) - rated it 1 star

Tessa | 1951 comments Pretty covers are my undoing as well.
Regarding the questions you stated in your previous coment, I'm sorry to say, but the author doesn't elucidate us in this book, probably never will (she's good at gaining plot holes for mystery's sake and then forgetting to fill them up).

It is one of those books that I am finding is a chore and I have to set a goal of how many chapters I have to read each day to keep me going.
I can feel your pain. Usually when a book gets that bad I either drop it altogether or finish it right away so I can vent my frustrations and wasted time in the review for certain book XD.

message 27: by Tara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tara | 210 comments Tessa wrote: "Pretty covers are my undoing as well.
Regarding the questions you stated in your previous coment, I'm sorry to say, but the author doesn't elucidate us in this book, probably never will (she's goo..."

Yeah, I usually drop books that become chores too, but that is why buddy reads are so good, I can finish these types of books when I have others to share my pain with.

message 28: by Tara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tara | 210 comments I finished the book last night. I was happy that the book sort of took off with action and the chapters just wanted to be read in the end.

Final thoughts
(view spoiler)

message 29: by Tati (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tati | 10171 comments At the end, I was left thinking (view spoiler)

message 30: by Tara (last edited Feb 17, 2014 10:16AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tara | 210 comments Tatiana wrote: "At the end, I was left thinking [spoilers removed]"

I was thinking the same thing... (view spoiler)

message 31: by Tessa (last edited Feb 17, 2014 12:55PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tessa | 1951 comments Noooooo!!! I wanted to read Maze Runner, but now that you told me it's a shitty experiment I don't know what to do.

And don't let me start on how awful the entire last book from the Divergent series was...

Whiny Tobias is one Tobias I don't want to read about. Not to mention that suggestive title for Tris: Divergent [you know: Die... Virgin....].

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 84094 comments Mod
maze runner is weird, and it doesn't get better. you might like it though. its certainly quirky.

message 33: by Tessa (new) - rated it 1 star

Tessa | 1951 comments If it doesn't get better than why do you think I'll like it? XD

message 34: by Tara (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tara | 210 comments Tessa wrote: "Noooooo!!! I wanted to read Maze Runner, but now that you told me it's a shitty experiment I don't know what to do.

And don't let me start on how awful the entire last book from the Divergent seri..."

Yeah, I loved the series... but I wish I never read the last book. I had to give her props for the surprise ending, but still disappointed in the way the characters evolved.

message 35: by Tati (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tati | 10171 comments Maze Runner started really well, but the last book just ruined it for me... Especially that ending, which was completely crazy for me

message 36: by Tessa (last edited Feb 19, 2014 04:09AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Tessa | 1951 comments Not sure I want another "Divergent-like" experience :(.

Edit: ok, the books have been removed from my to-read list. Thank you guys :) .

message 37: by Kate (new)

Kate (kaitlins16) *********************************************************
Rachel and I are starting this on on July 21st!

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Date Changed. Restarting July 21st 2014. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

Date Changed. Restarting July 15th 2015. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Chapter 1 (view spoiler)

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

Chapter 2 (view spoiler)

message 42: by [deleted user] (new)

Chapter 5 (view spoiler)

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

End of 10 (view spoiler)

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Chapter 20 (view spoiler)

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

chapter 24 (view spoiler)

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

done (view spoiler)

*****************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Date Changed. Restarting June 12th 2017. Happy Reading ☺

*********************************************************************************************************************************************

Aisha (aisha_i) | 58 comments So excited to start, I've had this book on my shelves for a while

Adriana | 3543 comments I'm going to start early with this one. I have high hopes!

Adriana | 3543 comments Chapters 1 - 3
(view spoiler)

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Wither (other topics)