Indie Book Club discussion

Temple of the Sixth
This topic is about Temple of the Sixth
Book of the Month: Other > Sci-fi February 2014: Temple of the Sixth

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thaddeus (new)

Thaddeus White | 631 comments Mod
February's Other Book Of The Month (#OBOTM) is Temple of the Sixth, by Ross Harrison.

I'll put up the next genre thread (for March) in a week or two, but in the meantime have at Temple of the Sixth. What's good, what's bad, how does the pace/description stack up?

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments Oh it won. I'm reading 4 books at the mo but I'll get to this next.

message 3: by Thaddeus (new)

Ahem, just added this to the group homepage. I'll do that on time one day.

message 4: by Steph (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 178 comments I might not get around to this one. Anyone else reading it?

message 5: by Thaddeus (new)

I checked out the sample. I think it's the second part in a series, yes?

I liked some aspects (easy to read, no info-dumping) but didn't warm to the protagonist (Theak).

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments I think it is the sequel to Shadow of the Wraith which was BOM some time last year. I've not started it yet, which is bad as I nominated it.

message 7: by Thaddeus (new)

Yes, you're very bad. You must thrash yourself at once ;)

Ah, that was one I missed. From the sample, I don't think it being a second instalment made it harder to read, unless Theak was also in the first book and fleshed out more there.

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments I don't recall that name. Although with the amount of books I've since read who knows.Damn another round of flagellation.

message 9: by Steph (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 178 comments If nobody's started this yet, I was going to suggest we run it over to March. However, I noticed the 'zombie' thread is up and running...

message 10: by Thaddeus (new)

Given the lack of posts, it's entirely ok to continue with this as well as go on with a book next month.

Bit baffled as to why discussions here and for BOTM appear to have declined significantly. Plenty of members, discussing books helps to encourage more people to participate so if/when your own book wins you then get more useful comments and more people learn about your book.

Whether a reader or writer it's win-win.

message 11: by A.L. (new) - rated it 3 stars

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments I agree, discussions used to be better than this. I have to say I haven't started this but it will be my next read. Well have both running, I may not read the zombies book anyway.

message 12: by Thaddeus (new)

Next month I'm going to do away with the category selection, and have any genre of books accepted. I'm hoping that'll help reinvigorate things.

Hearing the views of others of my own books was interesting and useful, and through BOTM/OBOTM I found some good books I otherwise would've missed.

message 13: by A.L. (new) - rated it 3 stars

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments Yes, I think it is a good feature. Just perhaps have one or two books of the month - doesn't have to be fantasy every month.
Ok why not have a general BOTM and the two top ones get chosen. Then if someone nominates fantasy and it gets chosen then it does, if not then something else can take it's place. Not everyone reads fantasy so having two general books might widen then scope.

Just an idea.

message 14: by Steph (new)

Steph Bennion (stephbennion) | 178 comments A.L. wrote: "...Not everyone reads fantasy so having two general books might widen then scope."

True. I don't read fantasy. At least, not intentionally; I've been caught out a few times by misleading book descriptions!

message 15: by A.L. (new) - rated it 3 stars

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments I'm about a 3rd of the way in, it is OK but not totally sure where it is going. There are several characters heading towards the same goal from different directions. A bit of humour here and there, which is nice.

message 16: by Thaddeus (new)

What do you think of Theak?

message 17: by A.L. (new) - rated it 3 stars

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments I like him, a reluctant hero.

message 18: by A.L. (last edited Mar 22, 2014 01:37PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments I am not totally sure what to think, I did enjoy it but the sudden change of POV to Omar and his friend threw me a bit. There were a lot of amusing touches and the emotions were dealt with well. It was nice to see the return of the characters from book I as well.
I didn't see the twist who the High Overlord was. :)

message 19: by Thaddeus (new)

Plot twists are always tricky. It's easy to either make them obvious (and thus not a twist) or unforeseen because it's just a bit daft.

message 20: by A.L. (new) - rated it 3 stars

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 1013 comments I actually thought it was going to be Theak or something. I am not sure about the shift to POV from Omar etc. I am guessing it was to give us an idea of what those who were in the midst of the zombies were going through.