Japanese Literature discussion

Japanese literature in general > Help finding Japanese novel that touches the impact of nuclear bombings

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tanya (new)

Tanya (yukira) | 1 comments Black Rain is considered the best-known novel in the atomic bomb literature. It's about a girl who was caught in the black rain after the Hiroshima bombing. And it's available in English :)

message 2: by Shari (new)

Shari (shariy) | 5 comments Yes, Ibuse's Black Rain is recommendable. It doesn't editorialize - that is, no finger pointing in the narrative as to who is right and wrong - it just tells the story and sweeps the reader into the horror of the bombing.

message 3: by Wolfe (new)

Wolfe Tone | 10 comments Ik woudl reccomend Ibuse as well. Powerfull book by an author who witnessed the bombing first hand if I'm not mistaken.

message 4: by Paul (new)

Paul Dillon | 11 comments Yes, I agree. Black Rain is an unforgettable account of the Hiroshima bombing.

message 5: by Shari (new)

Shari (shariy) | 5 comments There is also Kenzaburo Oe's works. A few of them touch on postwar Japan and relevant themes such as atonement and nihilism.

message 6: by Lea (new)

Lea Lauridsen Thanks, this is much better advice than I got from visiting my local library

message 7: by Michael (last edited Feb 11, 2014 11:27AM) (new)

Michael | 47 comments Try this series if you want to see graphic work, think Disney and Atomic Horror: Barefoot Gen, Volume One: A Cartoon Story of Hiroshima. Have read it in English...as far as 'Black Rain'- do not get it confused with the action/cop movie or the same name by Ridley Scott with Michael Douglas, that is not the same one...

message 8: by Ula (new)

Ula | 1 comments How about "A Pale View of the Hills" by Kazuo Ishiguro? (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2... not sure if Ishiguro strictly qualifies as a Japanese writer but I remember I really liked the book way back when :)

message 9: by Aylin (new)

Aylin | 2 comments This is more of a factual book but very powerful, as well as Black Rain.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 10: by Javiera (new)

Javiera Vega (javivega) | 1 comments Summer Flowers by Tamiki Hara is a good choice

message 11: by Carola (new)

Carola (carola-) | 119 comments Haven't read these yet, but:

Ground Zero, Nagasaki: Stories

The Girl with the White Flag: A Spellbinding Account of Love and Courage in Wartime Okinawa, not about the atomic bombs directly but about Okinawa during WW2

message 12: by Edgar (new)

Edgar | 9 comments I haven't read any of her books nor do I know much about the author, but I recently came across Akiko Mikamo, who has written at least two books on the topic in question. Check out her '8:15' and 'Rising from the Ashes'. Unfortunately, the GR entries are not very helpful.