Lord of the Rings Read-Along discussion

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
This topic is about The Fellowship of the Ring
By the Schedule > Week 5

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Askmiddlearth | 31 comments Mod
Alright, here's the place to discuss the events of Book 2 chapters 1 and 2 ("Many Meetings" and "The Council of Elrond")

Even though it's only two chapters, Tolkien gives us A LOT of information here, so don't be afraid to ask your fellow read-alongers for clarification, etc.

Agnès Denie Okay, admission.

This is where I got stuck the last time. Possibly information overload?

I loved it this round: I love hearing the different backgrounds of the characters, including the clashes between elf and dwarf.

message 3: by Michele (last edited Feb 11, 2014 04:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michele The Council is a bit of an infodump, true, but using a council as the setting is a clever technique on the author's part: since a conference is all about information sharing, it doesn't feel awkward. Plus most of the time the person speaking is actually telling everybody something they didn't already know, so there's no sense of AYKB.

My favorite thing about this section is the descriptions of Rivendell and how wonderful a place it must have been, with the Hall of Fire and the stories and the singing. I've always loved the song by Rush about Rivendell -- I think it captures the mood of the place beautifully:

You feel there's something calling you
You're wanting to return
To where the misty mountains rise and friendly fires burn
A place you can escape the world
Where the dark lord cannot go
Peace of mind and sanctuary by Loudwater's flow...

Kathleen (amusicalhobbit) | 14 comments I agree entirely about the descriptions of Rivendell. If I lived in M.E., I would spend all of my time in the Hall of Fire, just listening to the Elves sing and talk about their wonderful culture and history.
Bilbo's poem is probably my favorite part - it's very elegant and shows his old age. I also like how it is described that he "chant"s it. It makes me think that he speak-sings it or sings it in the style of Gregorian chant.
I also surprised myself with how quickly I read through the Council chapter. It isn't really as dense as I remember it. Overall, this chapter is really where we lay the groundwork for the major story, and we meet major characters and races, and it's super exciting.

message 5: by Michele (last edited Feb 13, 2014 07:35PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Michele Kathleen wrote: "Bilbo's poem is probably my favorite part..."

I like the comment from one of the elves, about "having the cheek to make rhymes about Earendil in the house of Elrond." Yet more evidence that hobbits aren't intimidated by anybody.

The Council also brings to mind the League of Nations trying to sort out how to cope with Hitler. I know Tolkien has denied any analogue to World War II in the trilogy but the situation does bring it to mind.

Sara | 9 comments A_denie wrote: "Okay, admission.

This is where I got stuck the last time. Possibly information overload?

I loved it this round: I love hearing the different backgrounds of the characters, including the clashes b..."

Me too. I think I found it rather uninteresting. But I loved all the background this time. It was so much more fun to read it this time.