Lord of the Rings Read-Along discussion

The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
This topic is about The Fellowship of the Ring
Character-Specific Discussions > Elrond and the Rivendell Elves

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Askmiddlearth | 31 comments Mod
Here's the place to discuss Elrond! Feel free to discuss his part in other books as well, but keep in mind that there will be readers who haven't read The Hobbit or The Silmarillion, so maybe be mindful of spoilers/remember to explain context.

Michele Useful references:

A nice simple version of Elrond's family tree.

An insanely detailed version of Elrond's family tree.

Now you can see why they call him "Elrond Half-Elven."

message 3: by Paula (new) - added it

Paula Bergstrom | 13 comments Michele wrote: "Useful references:

A nice simple version of Elrond's family tree.

An insanely detailed version of Elrond's family tree.

Now you can see why they call him "Elrond Half-Elven.""

Yes, very useful. Thanks, Michele

message 4: by Hika86 (new)

Hika86 | 48 comments I'm a bit late u.u ups...
Anyway, Rivendell is my favourite location above all in Middle-Earth. I would pay to live there!

What I still don't completely understand is the possibility to choose between immortality and mortality. Reading the history of Arwen and Aragorn in the Appendix A I didn't see any difference in Arwen although she did her choice...

Michele Hika86 wrote: "Reading the history of Arwen and Aragorn in the Appendix A I didn't see any difference in Arwen although she did her choice..."

I think the two important results of her choice are that she gives up her chance to go off over the sea with her father and the rest of the elves, and that she gets to die eventually and therefore go on to whatever comes next. As Aragorn says, "In sorrow we must go, but not in despair. Behold! we are not bound for ever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory." The assumption I guess is that since elves don't die, they never go on -- they are "bound forever" to Middle Earth.

Although now that I re-read the Appendix I see that it's a bit vague on that second point; it doesn't say she dies it just says, "Sometime before the Spring she laid herself down upon Cerin Amroth, and there she would lie until the world's ending."

So hmmm...

message 6: by Hika86 (new)

Hika86 | 48 comments Maybe we should ask to askmiddleearth

Askmiddlearth | 31 comments Mod
Speak and I appear!

Michele's basically right - for whatever reason, the only real change that we see in Arwen after she chooses mortality is the knowledge that she is now mortal, and will die. All the other elvish perks seems to stay.

And she does die. The end of her story in Appendix A says:

"'There at last when the mallorn-leaves were falling, but spring had not yet come, she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.
Here ends this tale, as it has come to us from the South; and with the passing of Evenstar no more is said in this book of the days of old."

The knowledge that she chose mortality, combined with the later reference to her grave and the "passing of Evenstar" makes her death a pretty certain thing.

Hope that helped! :)

message 8: by Hika86 (last edited Mar 11, 2014 02:07AM) (new)

Hika86 | 48 comments It did! XD Thank you so much!!
"Speak askmiddlearth and ask"