Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, #1)
New School Classics- 1900-1999 > Hitchhikers: Book as Whole, Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Katy (kathy_h) | 9434 comments Mod
Use this thread for your comments on the book as a whole. Spoilers welcome.

message 2: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Okay so now I understand about towels. I thought the towel uses was rather clever.

message 3: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

The two most famous icons from the series are the towel and the phrase, "don't panic." Anyone want to comment on that?

message 4: by Tytti (new) - added it

Tytti | 1092 comments Kathy wrote: "The two most famous icons from the series are the towel and the phrase, "don't panic." Anyone want to comment on that?"

Don't forget 42! It's always a good answer, at least in pub quizzes, sometimes, when the right answer is 42.

Kelly Hamby Don't panic is the fundamental requirement of being successful at anything. Adams really boils his social commentary down to the simplest terms.

message 6: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

And I do think this book has a lot to say on social commentary. Especially on government, politics, and big business.

We have at the first of the book, the destruction of a home, then the destruction of Earth. Kind of a "hit yourself with a 2x4" on who really has the right to take away a home for government or business reasons.

Any comments on the parodies on these different institutions in the book?

Kelly Hamby I think it scoffs at how big the small things seem to us in our world. A bull dozer destroying my house would be devastating to me, but to Mr. Prosser ( I think that was his name) it's Thursday. The crisis in our little worlds are mostly likely meaningless in the grand scheme of things. I have flooded an any hill with a hose and put hundreds or thousands of ants out of a home without a second thought. He ties this idea in with the concept of us not being the most intelligent life form on earth. We may think the world revolves around us ( maybe it does) but we are a very small part of the universe ( or cosmos).

Kelly Hamby I loved the book right up until the end. It did not tie anything together.

message 9: by Katy, New School Classics (last edited Feb 11, 2014 10:00PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Did the book ever make you "Laugh our loud?"

If so, would you share those parts with me?

message 10: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

We will be glad to have you Bookworm!

message 11: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

I can see how this would have been a fun radio show, although I do realize the books were rewritten for the book form. Even the word usage with the occasional sensible science words mixed in are fun to read. Definitely one of the silliest books I've read.

message 12: by MK (new) - rated it 5 stars

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments It makes me laugh out loud - frequently. I heart Douglas Adams, fer sure!

message 13: by MK (new) - rated it 5 stars

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Done Book One! Sort of .... when I switched from the ebook Ultimate Guide to the physical book Hitchhikers #1, the edition I borrowed from the library included a 92-page bonus section on the making of the movie. So, I'm done with the novel, and still have the bonus section.

I CAN'T REMEMBER THE QUESTION!!!! Even tho I watched the movie ... don't even recall if they ever tell you.

Who besides me laughed their asses off when the Police Ship 'committed suicide' when Marvin the depressing robot talked to it ;-).

giggle

oh, btw, my husband wants to rename one of our furry people Slartibartfest >^_^<

Melanti | 2384 comments They get around to talking about the question in the second book.

message 15: by MK (new) - rated it 5 stars

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Melanti wrote: "They get around to talking about the question in the second book."

Cool. Thx, Melanti :)

message 16: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Done with this book. Definitely British humor. I can see where the cult following comes, an interesting way to make something become a classic. The goal is to finish the rest of these, but for me a little goes a long way. So I think one a month will do. None of the books are long, and I do have them all in the omnibus edition.

I probably would have left this one on my shelf TBR for a while longer; I like that about this group -- it forces me to pick up books I've put off and get them read.

message 17: by Martin (new)

Martin Gibbs Kathy wrote: "Did the book ever make you "Laugh our loud?"

If so, would you share those parts with me?"

The planet of mattresses.

Vogon poetry

message 18: by MK (new) - rated it 5 stars

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Omg! The Vogon poetry scene killed me! I was roaring laughing. Suicide by the cop ship, to escape Marvin' s talking cracked me up too {:D

Conscience | 4 comments I loved the monologue scene of the whale which is falling down!
Especially coz the whale thinks about life and the plant simply thinks "Oh no, not again"
I read Hitchhiker #1 - #4, I should read #5 too, but I'm too lazy.

message 20: by MK (new) - rated it 5 stars

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments Is that the one where they are just arriving on the planet that makes planets for the first time? If so, yea, that was funny :D. I've only read 1 & 2 so far. I'm definitely going to read them all! :)

message 21: by Mark (new)

Mark Catalfano (cattfish) Conscience wrote: "I loved the monologue scene of the whale which is falling down!
Especially coz the whale thinks about life and the plant simply thinks "Oh no, not again"
I read Hitchhiker #1 - #4, I should read #5..."

That's ok, Douglas was too lazy to write it, and was essentially forced to publish what he had after years of stalling. So he got his revenge at the end, and that's all I'll say about that.

Conscience | 4 comments yea I think so. It was definitely one of my favorite parts.
I don't like #4 that much, but it's still good... every book has its own unique and crazy ideas, I read them pretty fast

message 23: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim (whatkimreads) The depressed robot still makes me laugh now! It's just that he's so un-funny and miserable and he makes me think of myself sometimes and that's what makes him so funny. It's very confronting I guess. :P

message 24: by MK (new) - rated it 5 stars

MK (wisny) | 2993 comments That's awesome! ^_^

Luella | 5 comments I liked the bit about the mice. The whole the mice will see you now line just cracked me up, yet I have no idea why...

message 26: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Our December 2016 Reread. This is the Spoiler thread, enjoy.

message 27: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen (skipp) | 103 comments I've just realised it's December! Which means I can start re-reading this beauty.

This is one of the 1st books I ever went to a bookshop & bought for myself, for this reason it holds a special place in my heart.
Like many people, Adams' writing defined my teenage years, it even inspired my friends & I to write our own book (it was called 'A Tale of Raw Spaghetti' & it was awful, there was a sequel called 'A Tale of Iron Bed Frames', which was even worse).

Off to get my old copy, & remember why I loved it so much

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 124 comments I love this series. I have been reading the series for the last two years. I'm currently on the final one, book 6, And Another Thing... by Eoin Colfer. I'm kind of scared. It's not Adams writing it and it will be the end of a wonderful series.

This will be a great one to have discussions with. :)

message 29: by SherryRose (new)

SherryRose | 257 comments I'd like to listen to the audio. Stehdn Fry is the narrator. It's at our library :-)

message 30: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil Jensen | 627 comments Like Jen, this book defined my teenaged years. Here is a conversation I had recently:

Me: You teach reading. What is your favorite book?
Predictable reading teacher: Harry Potter.
Me: Oh. I didn't care for it. The first one is okay, but there was no need for sequels.
PRT (horrified): Well, what is YOUR favorite book?
Me: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
PRT: I just learned everything there is to know about you.
Me: (Grins in satisfaction.)

message 31: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil Jensen | 627 comments Tidbit: Those of you reading the entire series should be aware that the American omnibus edition of "Young Zaphod Plays it Safe" is censored.

At the end, (view spoiler)

message 32: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori | 16 comments So glad to finally read this book - has been on my "to read " shelf for a long time. A thoroughly enjoyable read- loved the author's sense of humour and dry observations on life in general.

Milena | 257 comments One thing that helps you when you're reading a book that is not written in your mother tongue is context.
You don't know a word? The context of a new word should provide a clue about its meaning.

But what happen if you're travelling on a Ship powered by the Infinite Improbability Drive? You get enraptured by the author's Infinite Improbability Drive Imagination, you keep travelling with a smile on your face and a dictionary in your hand, and you wouldn't never get off.

But I'm almost at the end of the book. Time to get back to High Probability Humdrum.

Gem  | 18 comments I must be the only person in the universe that did not enjoy this book. I got through it hoping it would get better, much to my chagrin it did not.

message 35: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

❀✿ Gem ✿❀ wrote: "I must be the only person in the universe that did not enjoy this book. I got through it hoping it would get better, much to my chagrin it did not."

You and me.

message 36: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
Add me to the list I gave it two stars.

message 37: by Pink (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink | 6556 comments I enjoyed it as a teenager, but think I'd hate it now!

message 38: by Bob, Short Story Classics (new) - rated it 2 stars

Bob | 4913 comments Mod
I think I would have had a better chance of liking the book if I had read it at least 25 years ago. I just could not relate.

message 39: by Phil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phil Jensen | 627 comments I love this book. It formatted my brain. I haven't read it in over 20 years. That might be a good thing.

Loretta | 2668 comments I wasn't in love with it either. Glad I read it though so I could see for myself what all the hype was about.

Gem  | 18 comments Kathy wrote: "❀✿ Gem ✿❀ wrote: "I must be the only person in the universe that did not enjoy this book. I got through it hoping it would get better, much to my chagrin it did not."

You and me."

Thank God I'm not alone, lol.

message 42: by Sarah (last edited Dec 22, 2016 08:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah | 587 comments I love this book, and the whole series actually. Its actually on the short list of books I have reread more than once and plan to again in the future.
But I'm a sci-fi/fantasy fan before any other type of book, so that could be why.

Sorry you guys didn't enjoy it :(

Sarah | 587 comments Phil wrote: "Tidbit: Those of you reading the entire series should be aware that the American omnibus edition of "Young Zaphod Plays it Safe" is censored.

At the end, [spoilers removed]"

I have not read that one, but I can see why that would be censored here.

Milena | 257 comments Pink wrote: "I enjoyed it as a teenager, but think I'd hate it now!"

I agree that this is a kind of humour mostly addressed to teenagers or people in their twenties. Although, I must confess, I truly bent over with laughter while reading Arthur's comments about the Vogon poetry.

message 45: by Milena (last edited Dec 22, 2016 11:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Milena | 257 comments Phil wrote: "I love this book. It formatted my brain. I haven't read it in over 20 years. That might be a good thing."

I like the turn of perspective that he uses to convey some messages, like, for instance, the mice that make experiments on humans.
He uses humour to attract young readers' attention to seriuos issues.

message 46: by Darren (last edited Jan 25, 2017 02:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Darren (dazburns) | 1866 comments I was 15 years old in 1979 when I accidentally blundered across the radio series and was instantly hooked
I bought the book in 1980 and I had cassettes of the radio series audio for years, as a result of which I can recite large chunks verbatim even today
I laugh out loud almost continuously while reading it
I have re-read it more times than any other book
it's never getting tired for me
fave sentence:
"Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz was not a pleasant sight, even for other Vogons."
oh, and:
"Diced."

message 47: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - rated it 3 stars

Never be sorry to revive an old thread. It is always good to see someone reading a group book.

Terris | 2424 comments Helen wrote: "Pink wrote: "I enjoyed it as a teenager, but think I'd hate it now!"

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I just finished the series. I read books #104 in the 1980s/1990s as a person in my twenti..."

I've only read the first two books but enjoyed them immensely! I'm thinking that I may end up reading the rest of them at some time. And you're right, if you enjoy that kind of humor it really sticks with you no matter what your age is! :)

Inkspill (runinkspill) | 276 comments I read the first one, I think a month back, brill!!!

After which I added the second one to my TBR - I liked how it ended, so casual, complete and yet ready for the next adventure.

Catching up on Classics (and lots more!)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

And Another Thing... (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Eoin Colfer (other topics)