Friends in Fiction discussion

general > Getting Old Sucks

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Deluca (darlenedeluca) | 131 comments Mod
Hi, all. Was reading the conversation between Teen and Belle in the "intro" topic, and it reminded me of meeting an elderly woman at an author event I did today. This lady was so sweet, and so distressed that she can no longer read books. A lifelong avid reader, she told us that her eyesight is getting so bad that she now can only listen to audio books.
I've been thinking about her all evening, and how incredibly frustrating that must be.

message 2: by Teen (new)

Teen | 18 comments At least, with audible books, she is not completely cut out from escaping into the wonderful world of stories. I couldn't even imagine not being able to read a book. My world would end!!

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) I think of reading as one of the things I'll be able to do no matter how old I get, and knowing that isn't always true is distressing.

message 4: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Deluca (darlenedeluca) | 131 comments Mod
Carol wrote: "I think of reading as one of the things I'll be able to do no matter how old I get, and knowing that isn't always true is distressing."

For sure. When I'm retired and actually have time to read, I want to be able to read! You just never know.

message 5: by Belle (new)

Belle Blackburn | 11 comments The sad thing about my mother is she got Alzheimer's in her 50s so it really wasn't an age issue (I'm screwed). I remember one time she looked at a sign and said, "You know I can't read anymore". She had so much planned for retirement she never got to do. So the moral of this story is - do it now!

message 6: by Carol (new)

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) Belle, a sad reminder to live in the day