I love Alpha Male books club discussion

All about our books > Good Brand New Indie or Not-Mainstream Alpha Story That Surprised You

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly (new)

Holly Blackstone (hollyblackstone) | 11 comments It feels like I'm having a difficult time finding erotica to read lately, so I'm looking for suggestions!

I'm in a place now where I prefer Indie or authors who have achieved moderate success - I'm not looking for a big name series like Crossfire. I'm also not a big fan of the super-macho Alpha, (bikers, fighters, gang members - only exception is something like a knight in a period piece) and prefer business owners, self-made men, etc. I don't mind BDSM (as long as it's not written by someone who doesn't know about BDSM and wrecks it). Intrigue, suspense, mystery, period pieces, vampires all are okay. =)

But what I really love are good characters - ones that grip you, that develop and seem REAL. I'm not looking for flat characters, whiny and weak women or anything of that sort. I also love a smart twist or clever angle to a story - not something contrived, but circumstances that make you sit up! =)

I've seen posts on other threads but a lot of suggestions are for major authors (like Maya Banks), or gravitate towards the biker/fighter angle. I even hesitated to include vampires because I have a very mixed batting average with supernatural titles, but am willing to give another one a go if there is a great suggestion!

Thank you all! =)

Holly

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (charlie___tango) | 23 comments CD Reiss has a really good erotica series (book one is listed below). All are released and she did a great job ensuring that the story was not overshadowed by the heat of the sex scenes. The heroine is also not meek or annoying, which is always a plus. Hero is wealthy business man with a bit of kink -

Beg (Songs of Submission, #1) by C.D. Reiss

message 3: by ❤️ Diana ❤️ (last edited Feb 08, 2014 07:56PM) (new)

❤️ Diana ❤️ | 17 comments First thing that came to mind Holly was Songs of Submission series by CD REISS!! First book is Beg (Songs of Submission, #1) by C.D. Reiss but you can also purchase the first sequence which includes all 3 books from sequence one Songs of Submission Sequence One (Songs of Submission, #1-3) by C.D. Reiss . I recommend reading the first sequence, they are novellas in a serial format. I loved it, sucked me in and they kept getting better and better with each book. Beg (Songs of Submission, #1) by C.D. Reiss was more of an intro for me then it really picked up!!

❤️ Diana ❤️ | 17 comments @Michelle
GMTA!! LOL

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (charlie___tango) | 23 comments :) I think we are all getting tired of the weak females! Monica was one of the strongest that I've found so far. Too bad more couldn't give us a woman that doesn't have her head up her ass half the time!!!

❤️ Diana ❤️ | 17 comments I hear you Michelle!! Monica is defiantly a kick ass character!! Love her. <3

message 7: by Holly (new)

Holly Blackstone (hollyblackstone) | 11 comments Thanks for the suggestion!

I was looking for less of a mainstream author, but the first book was free on Kindle so I picked it up. I can see it has potential and I will probably pick up book too, but I can't say I'm hooked yet. I sort of felt I was dumped into a story/the characters a little - would have enjoyed a bit more of background or buildup. I am also somewhat tired of the First Person perspective but Beg was more interesting than most, because we got to see her PoV as a performer on stage, which I thought was really interesting and a unique part of the book. I have friends who live in LA and are part of various 'scenes' there, and I found I enjoyed that part of the narrative more than I thought I would.

I was disappointed it was short, because I felt I was just getting accustomed to the story and writing when it ended!

Thank you again, if you have any more suggestions, I'm all ears. ;-)

message 8: by Katerina (new)

Katerina My suggestion:
Crazy Little Thing Called Lust (Naughty Nookie, #2) by Serena Akeroyd Fall Into Love (Naughty Nookie, #1) by Serena Akeroyd All That Glitters... (Naughty Nookie, #3) by Serena Akeroyd Can Be Gold (Naughty Nookie, #4) by Serena Akeroyd

As far as I know, the complete series is still free this weekend!

message 9: by S. (new)

S. Cozzo (scozzo) | 12 comments I really like roni Loren or jasinda wilder or j Kenner.

message 10: by Pamela (last edited Feb 16, 2014 06:00PM) (new)

Pamela  (poollover) | 32 comments Transcendence by Shay Savage Definitely not your typical "alpha male."

message 11: by Indy (new)

Indy | 61 comments I think you would really like this one (well written, really great characters): Playing With Her Heart (Caught Up In Us, #4) by Lauren Blakely this series was also very unique: Fixed on You (Fixed, #1) by Laurelin Paige , oh and this one is more mainstream but is such a great series No Turning Back (Kathleen Turner, #1) by Tiffany Snow

message 12: by Dyndyn (last edited Feb 25, 2014 02:31PM) (new)

Dyndyn | 31 comments Just finished a series that might be what you're looking for. I really liked it. The heroine's tough & feisty, not the weak kind at all. The hero's an alpha billionaire but he's sweet on her. Beautifully written!
Falling In (The Surrender Trilogy, #1) by Lydia Michaels Breaking Out (The Surrender Trilogy, #2) by Lydia Michaels Coming Home (The Surrender Trilogy, #3) by Lydia Michaels

And I agree with Indy. The Fixed series is also one of the best I've read.
Fixed on You (Fixed, #1) by Laurelin Paige Found in You (Fixed, #2) by Laurelin Paige Forever with You (Fixed, #3) by Laurelin Paige

They're all complete with beautiful epilogues. ;)

message 13: by Christina (new)

Christina (chrisreads31) | 9 comments I just started the Surrender trilogy. Didn't want to stop reading to come to meeting at school.

message 14: by Holly (new)

Holly Blackstone (hollyblackstone) | 11 comments Ooh, thank you Lovely Ladies of the Alpha Male Lab. ;-)

message 15: by animalhouse (new)

animalhouse | 8 comments If you haven't read K. Bromberg's Driven Trilogy series (Driven, Fueled& Crashed) I highly recommend it. Cole is a super sexy and hot alpha, while the h, Rylee, is no wilting flower. It has a realistic story line and a lot of steam.if you liked the Crossfire books, you'll enjoy these. Now is a good time to start the series because the 3rd and final book is due to come out in early March, so no cliffhanger hangovers :)

message 16: by Ashlie (new)

Ashlie L (kiknash) | 12 comments Liza wrote: "If you haven't read K. Bromberg's Driven Trilogy series (Driven, Fueled& Crashed) I highly recommend it.

I agree! Books were soooo freakin good.. Number 3 out this coming Monday!!

message 17: by animalhouse (last edited Feb 26, 2014 07:12AM) (new)

animalhouse | 8 comments Also, the Cityscape series ( Come Undone, Come Alive, Come Together) by Jessica Hawkins is another great indie suggestion. I was hesitant to read them at first because I am not a fan of cheating partners in books, but the circumstances surrounding the relationships enabled me to see things differently and I realized it wasn't what I thought it would be.

♡ Jeri's Book Attic ♡ Jeri the Romance Bibiliophile ♡ (jeritaliaryan) | 1 comments omg holly - i hope you don't mind me taking the suggested books too :-D
There seem to be one or two interesting ones ....
As I need to fill my time - while waiting on a certain author to write a certain book -
*wink*

message 19: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (dani18m) | 8 comments Oh yeah!! The Fixed Series is right up there in my favs!!! Must read:))

message 20: by Anna (new)

Anna | 9 comments If you haven't yet, the Black Dagger Brotherhood Series is one of my favorite. I don't generally go for the Vampire books but all the females are pretty strong and the storyline is always suspenseful. Also, theres a TON of them out.

Dark Lover (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #1) by J.R. Ward This is the first one.

message 21: by animalhouse (new)

animalhouse | 8 comments Tangled by Em Wolf was a stunner for me. It's NA, but written so well-It's gritty and deep, with characters that seem mature beyond their years. The alpha is a bit of a prick in the beginning, but he really won me over. This is an author I wasn't familiar with, and am glad I gave it a try.

message 22: by Indy (new)

Indy | 61 comments The Boss (The Boss, #1) by Abigail Barnette series might also fit the bill, excellent writing, book 3 out this month