Shut Up & Read discussion

Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
This topic is about Cress
Archives > Cress by Marissa Meyer

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Feb 08, 2014 07:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sheri | 12218 comments Mod
We will be starting Monday :)

12 chapters a day? That would take us to Friday...

message 2: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leigh | 15226 comments Mod
I hope I do better with this one. I will try to keep to the past. Lol

message 3: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee (nbeewrites) I'm at chapter 22. All I can say right now is... Holy Crackers this is awesome!

message 4: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I really love this series! The characters are either very likeable or ones you truly hate.

message 5: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

For some reason I thought Thorne was older. He must only be around 20 or 21 though.

message 6: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I guess because of how he acts he seems older. Cress made me think of the movie Tangled. Loved the movie! I like Cress. I would have gone crazy being there all by myself except for the program of younger version of Cress. She is infatuated with Thorne. Go figure.

message 7: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Thorne and Iko are the comedy relief which I love. Poor Scarlet! She shot Wolf. I don't know if I truly trust that guard.

message 8: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

I haven't gotten today's reading in yet. I'll get to it a little later tonight.

I love all of the characters. There is a lot of personality in the story. I was thinking the same thing about the guard. Cinder thought he knew about her, but how could he have?

You're right that Cress reminds me of Tangled, too. The way she was so skiddish when she actually met another human after so long.

message 9: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Where is the chameleon? Lol
I guess we just have to settle for Iko the talking ship.

message 10: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

You got to be kidding me. It did not just end like that!

message 11: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I love this quote!

“He leaned forward to inspect her closer. "Is that all hair?"

... Sudden, overwhelming panic clawed up Cress's throat. With a squeak, she ducked out of view of the camera and scrambled beneath the desk. Her back struck the wall with a thud that rattled her teeth. She crouched there, skin burning hot and pulse thundering as she took in the room before her— the room that he was now seeing too, with the rumpled bedcovers and the mustached man on all the screens telling her to grab her imaginary partner and swing them around.

"Wha—where'd she go?" Thorne's voice came to her through the screen.

"Honestly, Thorne." A girl. Linh Cinder? "Do you ever think before you speak?"

"What? What did I say?"

" 'Is that all hair?' "

"Did you see it? It was like a cross between a magpie nest and ball of yarn after it's been mauled by a cheetah."

A beat. Then, "A cheetah?"

"It was the first big cat that came to mind.”
― Marissa Meyer, Cress

message 12: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm hoping to finish tonight. I like the quote above, too. There are so many laughable quotes in this book. I love Thorne.

So cliffhanger ending? Crap. It's a whole other year for the next book.

message 13: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I ha having to wait a whole year. Where are you in the book?

message 14: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

50% mark...the start of book three (view spoiler)

message 15: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I was so mad at Thorne for how he acted. I was wondering about the people that saved them in the desert. If they were going to do anything to Cress or Thorne. What did you think about the pod and the ship landing in Africa where the Dr is?

message 16: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh wrote: "What did you think about the pod and the ship landing in Africa where the Dr is?"

I was thinking that was a little too convenient. I can see one of them landing so close to him, but both? Though I guess they did both start from the same spot in space?

message 17: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

It was a little too convent for me but I still loved the story.

message 18: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

I didn't get it finished last night. We ended up renting a couple of movies to watch instead. No school again today because of snow :)

So the doctor is (view spoiler)

message 19: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I was blown away by Cress dad being revealed. What movies did y'all watch? What are we reading next week?

message 20: by Sheri, Bookworm (last edited Feb 14, 2014 09:39AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

We watched Carrie last night and have Ender's Game to watch tonight.

I think Alyssia is still out. How about either The Bane (The Eden Trilogy, #1) by Keary Taylor or All Our Yesterdays (All Our Yesterdays #1) by Cristin Terrill ...or we could pick another James Patterson book. Any other ideas?

message 21: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

How was the new Carrie? Here are some choices: Eden (Eden, #1) by Keary Taylor The Archived (The Archived, #1) by Victoria Schwab Wrecked (Wrecked, #1) by Priscilla West Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Winter's Tale (Movie Tie-In Edition) by Mark Helprin Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn Collide (Collide, #1) by Shelly Crane Significance (Significance, #1) by Shelly Crane A Different Blue by Amy Harmon

message 22: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Any of those are fine except Gone Girl, Winter's Tale, or Throne of Glass. I can't get those right now without buying them :) Any of the others are fine. You can pick.

message 23: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

How about Wrecked (Wrecked, #1) by Priscilla West ? You both have to review it for NG. I wanted to read Winter's Tale (Movie Tie-In Edition) by Mark Helprin because the movie looks so good.

message 24: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

I just got in Legend (Legend, #1) by Marie Lu Not a Drop to Drink (Not a Drop to Drink, #1) by Mindy McGinnis . They both look good.

message 25: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 4 stars

Wrecked is fine. I want to read Legend some time, too.

message 26: by Leigh, ⭐Wonder Woman⭐ (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sounds good.