What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Prince Ombra
This topic is about Prince Ombra
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Book about a young boy, begins with angel touching the cleft below his nose and saying "shh forget what you know." Then he is born. [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daryl (last edited Feb 08, 2014 07:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daryl Van hale | 9 comments I read the book in 1982 or so. It has a picture of a boy on the cover, with a silvered out face. (no features, just silver). He is wearing a pink or purple striped shirt and holding up one or two fingers. There may be a black bird flying over his head.

The story revolves around evil searching for him, and he avoiding or defeating evil.

message 2: by Andria (new) - added it

Andria (airdna) | 2500 comments Mod
Prince Ombra by Roderick MacLeish

message 3: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Prince Ombra for the click for Andria's book. One of the covers is Prince Ombra by Roderick MacLeish

Daryl Van hale | 9 comments Yes!!!! Thanks!!!

message 5: by Andria (new) - added it

You're welcome! I read it around the same time, and loved the cover - I copied it for a high school art project. That bit about the angels saying "shhh" always stuck with me, too.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Zable | 10 comments The angel touching the lip and bidding forgetfulness is a centuries-old Jewish idea. For example: http://www.jewishtreats.org/2010/08/t.... It's a nice image.

Daryl Van hale | 9 comments I think it's an interesting idea as well, the angel. Haven't read the book in years... But I'm ordering a copy ASAP. Lol

message 8: by Andria (new) - added it

Technically, the MC in Ombra is born without the ridge on his upper lip, because the angels DIDN'T tell him to shhh and so he never forgot the secrets of the universe. It's a good read. Hope you enjoy!

Daryl Van hale | 9 comments Lol I had forgotten that!! Now I REALLY want to read it again.

message 10: by Tess (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tess | 438 comments great story, I read it a couple years ago but don't know why I hadn't read it growing up.