Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2) Unravel Me discussion

Why do people love Warner?

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Madhura I've read Shatter Me, Destroy Me, and Unravel Me, and I've seen so many people just adoring Warner. And I'm still not sure why. I'm not trying to disrespect your opinion, but it does genuinely confuse me. While I think Warner is a very interesting character, I can't understand how people like him. He has a softer side, but he's also such a bad person. He kills and doesn't care, and he doesn't even want to change. Also, the way he treats Juliette isn't ok. Reading her diary, then refusing to give it back to her when it belongs to her, as well as countless other more problematic things. I'm not really on a "team" for either of the boys, so this has nothing to do with me liking Adam better. It just honestly baffles me that people like Warner, so I was wondering if anyone would mind explaining why?

Casey I think people like him because he is broken. He does have a good side in there somewhere and people want to see Juliette fix him. I think people like to have hope that bad people are created and can change. Just a few thoughts. I would to hear why others like him as well.

message 3: by Hannah (last edited Feb 10, 2014 05:00AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hannah I think people like him because we can see that he's more than the facade he puts on for the world. We believed he could be more than the mold he was forced into by his completely horrible and abusive childhood. Warner was never raised to be anything but a cold, unfeeling monster who needs to command fear in order to rule his soldiers. His father (spoiler for Ignite Me) whipped him every single year for his birthday from the time he was 5 until he was 18.

It's like Juliette says in Unravel Me, he was never given a chance to be human, and to me the fact that he has retained some sense of humanity, he says he doesn't pretend to live by any principles. he doesn't claim to know the difference between right and wrong, but he has his own personal code that he lives by. despite his father's influence he still cares about people. about the civilians of Sector 45, about his mother, about Juliette. Warner knows and acknowledges that he is broken beyond repair but he still admits he acted horribly when it came to Juliette in Shatter Me. He was trying to teach her to be strong and fight back the only way he knew how and he had to learn that was wrong.

So basically I like Warner because of who he is underneath the monster persona he puts on and I also like that he doesn't pretend to be a good guy, he doesn't think of himself as kind or charitable or redeemable. He doesn't think revelations about his actions make them acceptable or makes him a good guy. I don't know if I'm explaining it in the best way, but that's why I love Warner. Because he hasn't lost himself and who he really is deep down.

Veronica i don't like Warner at all. he failed to be a hero as well as villain. this is not a talent show where you cry and take the prize. just because he is broken does not mean he is a well developed character.

Kristell When I read the first two books and even after Destroy Me, I was team Adam. I never liked Warner and didn't know why people liked him, he seemed like the bad guy, the horrible guy. After I read Fracture Me, I didn't know what to think about Adam but I was not feeling the whole team him so much anymore. I'm on Chapter 39 Ignite Me and I can see why he's trying to make me like him, I'm not there yet, hopefully I wont change my mind, but you do get to see why he's such a bad person and he tries to make you think he might not be such a bad person after all.

Dash of  Sunshine I personally like Warner because he's just another possible side of Juliette that she never wanted to be. But she's attracted to Warner because of his side of vulnerability. The side that he shows to Juliette is because she is the only other person in the world that can relate to him. She's his only possible salvation on the horizon of darkness. That's what he's filled with. There's no hope left in Warner to think that he can change, but I see, personally that when Warner's with Juliette he WANTS to change. He wants to be the person she sees in him. Does that answer sort of the question? Does anyone agree with what I said?

Dash of  Sunshine Hannah wrote: "I think people like him because we can see that he's more than the facade he puts on for the world. We believed he could be more than the mold he was forced into by his completely horrible and abus..."

she's got a point!

Jelly224 People love Warner cause he's the mystery, tough, confusing guy. When I read about him and Juliette and their mad love, it makes me want Juliette to pick him. Also cause cause he's the more exciting and less whinny guy, than Adam. <3 Warner

Jelly224 Powla wrote: "I personally like Warner because he's just another possible side of Juliette that she never wanted to be. But she's attracted to Warner because of his side of vulnerability. The side that he shows ..."

I agree perfectly.

Lilly Why woulddn't you love warner!?!??!?!?

message 11: by Ban (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ban because he is good looking guy, with great closet, he can be good for someone's else sake and he is no ordinary in any level his is extraordinary.

message 12: by Linda (new)

Linda I think I love Warner because you can see with his character how important the picture is we have of people. In the very first book, we have nothing but Juliettes Perspective on him and because he is the son of the supreme commander, she sees him to be evil. I loved the part in Unravel Me where he justifies all his actions and we can see that basically everything we thought he did was just a product of Juliettes judgement. That is what makes him so interesting for me and why I just loved discovering his character.

Kayti Raet Hannah wrote: "I think people like him because we can see that he's more than the facade he puts on for the world. We believed he could be more than the mold he was forced into by his completely horrible and abus..."

That was the perfect explaination for exactly why I like Warner. I'm a sucker for characters like that (Zuko from Avatar: The Last Airbender is another great example, I think!)

message 14: by Aria (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aria I think people like Warner more, because under his shell of being so invincible, he is vulnerable. He has his weaknesses and genuinely wanted to do what was right for Juliette in the end.

Raynebow She really is in love with Warner. She was just with Adam because he was the only one nice to her. warner is messed up, but he really is a good person, he is just screwed up. SHe connected with him becasue he is messed up like ehr

Hannah Rahman Aria wrote: "I think people like Warner more, because under his shell of being so invincible, he is vulnerable. He has his weaknesses and genuinely wanted to do what was right for Juliette in the end."
I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lilly Warner is this complex and unique thing. What I loved about him was he was who he was and he didn't give a damn what anyone else thought. He was not going to change because someone told him to or someone else thought a certain way of him, the point was he didn't care. He was ruthless and at times cruel and bitter. But one thing I'll always give Warner was that despite his sometimes cold character he was fair. Warner was fair and he had a certain way about himself that he stood by. Not to say h had particular values or morals but he had a way of living that he stood by and believed in firmly. He was against abuse example when he killed the man that beat his family, without hesitation mind you. Warner is just so complicated its hard to put him into words. Warner knows what is wrong and what is right. Then he falls in love with Juliette. I LOVE THIS. I love it because he's still the same Warner we just see that he is capable of love and despite what he might say lets be honest we all know there's a part of him that likes Kenji and the rest of Juliette's friends. He's soft but stern. It is what it is with Warner. He's a bastard and he knows it. I don't know. There's a lot to love and there's a lot to hate about Warner. YOu either love him or you don't there are no two ways about it.

AbigailDenyse01 dude, read the last one. you may not know why now but just wait.