Ask Rhys Bowen, Deborah Crombie, and Charles Todd! discussion

Featured Author Chat - 2014 > For Rhys Bowen

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Corey (new)

Corey | 2 comments I'm afraid I have seen either a huge mistake or a repeated typo on both your website and Amazon. "In A Gilded Cage" is said by both sites to be set in 1918, but how is this possible? It is only 1902 in the preceding book, "Tell Me, Pretty Maiden", while Molly's latest two adventures "The Family Way" and "Through The Window" are both set in 1905? Is there a reason for this error, or will I have to read the book to find out? But not to worry, I will anyway!

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (ratliff12) | 1 comments Ms. Bowen - I am a huge fan of Georgie and all of her adventures. I especially like her Grandfather. Is his character based on anyone particular, and how did you research Cockney rhyming slang?

message 3: by Rhea (new)

Rhea | 3 comments Love your royal spyness books! One thing bothers me though.Why wasn't Darcy awarded anything for taking a bullet for the Queen in the second book? It seems he should have been given land or a knighthood or something as a reward (which would have made him a better catch for Georgie), but afterwards he still has to "live by his wits." Is this because it was part of his duty in his secret job? Or was the royal family just really that ungrateful?

message 4: by Rhea (new)

Rhea | 3 comments Also, can you tell us if Georgie is going to get married somewhere down the road? I'm anxious for her and I think she made a mistake turning down Fishface, especially if she doesn't end up with Darcy.

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 2 comments How much time do you spend checking history - to be sure your books are accurate in the time your having your characters live in? Thanks!

message 6: by Rhys, Author of "City of Darkness and Light" (new)

Rhys Bowen | 40 comments Mod
Corey wrote: "I'm afraid I have seen either a huge mistake or a repeated typo on both your website and Amazon. "In A Gilded Cage" is said by both sites to be set in 1918, but how is this possible? It is only 190..."

It was set in 1903. The error was that of the person who wrote the cover copy, and was not picked up by any editor or proof reader. Very annoying. But now you mention my website, I'll have the webmistress correct that INSTANTLY. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I hope you enjoyed the book in spite of this.

message 7: by Rhys, Author of "City of Darkness and Light" (new)

Lynn wrote: "How much time do you spend checking history - to be sure your books are accurate in the time your having your characters live in? Thanks!"

I do a lot of research to get things right, both background reading, memoirs, diaries and then walking the actual streets. It's important to me.

message 8: by Rhys, Author of "City of Darkness and Light" (new)

Rachel wrote: "Ms. Bowen - I am a huge fan of Georgie and all of her adventures. I especially like her Grandfather. Is his character based on anyone particular, and how did you research Cockney rhyming slang?"

Oh, he's based on my father and sounds just like him. My father was a lovely man, so kind and gentle and it's great to hear his voice in these books, although he wasn't exactly a Cockney like granddad is. But he did use some rhyming slang phrases. I think they are fun.

message 9: by Rhys, Author of "City of Darkness and Light" (new)

Rachel wrote: "Ms. Bowen - I am a huge fan of Georgie and all of her adventures. I especially like her Grandfather. Is his character based on anyone particular, and how did you research Cockney rhyming slang?"
Interesting question. Obviously he has to keep any undercover work he does secret but you're right. He should have been given something. Actually he will inherit a peerage some day. He'll become Lord Kilhenny, and he's not a bad catch, is he?

message 10: by Charles (new)

Charles Todd | 55 comments I love the jacket art for the new Molly! Tell us a little about how you researched the story and the period. How you "saw" Paris in Molly's time.

message 11: by Rhys, Author of "City of Darkness and Light" (new)

Charles wrote: "I love the jacket art for the new Molly! Tell us a little about how you researched the story and the period. How you "saw" Paris in Molly's time."

RHYS: I love the jacket too. I went to Paris and luckily very little has changed since Molly's time. Except that Montmartre was rural with vegetable gardens, windmills, goats and little shacks. I love to just walk about, find old shops and cafes and climb the steps on Montmartre.

message 12: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 2 comments Ms. Bowen: I love both your Molly Murphy and your Royal Spyness series. I always enjoy when you send Georgie out on an interesting trip, and am wondering if you have ever considered sending her to one of the "colonies"? (As a Canadian, I think it would be fun!)

message 13: by S. (new)

S. L. | 1 comments I started reading your books because of a few Sherlock Holmes pastiches you wrote. I am curious; do you see your characters as being as much a myth and an exaggeration as Sherlock Holmes, or do you see them as people who could have existed in that time?

message 14: by Rhea (new)

Rhea | 3 comments So can you tell us, will Georgie get married in one of these books?

message 15: by Rhys, Author of "City of Darkness and Light" (new)

Kristen wrote: "Ms. Bowen: I love both your Molly Murphy and your Royal Spyness series. I always enjoy when you send Georgie out on an interesting trip, and am wondering if you have ever considered sending her to ..."

Hi Kristen. In the next book, that comes out this August, Georgie is going to cross the Atlantic and wind up in Hollywood. Is that considered a colony???

message 16: by Rhys, Author of "City of Darkness and Light" (new)

Rhea wrote: "So can you tell us, will Georgie get married in one of these books?"

RHYS: I can't plan out her life for her. She has a will of her own, but I certainly hope so. A wedding would be fun.

message 17: by Rhys, Author of "City of Darkness and Light" (new)

S. wrote: "I started reading your books because of a few Sherlock Holmes pastiches you wrote. I am curious; do you see your characters as being as much a myth and an exaggeration as Sherlock Holmes, or do you..."

RHYS: My characters are very real to me and I hope my readers see them as real people too. Sherlock Holmes is fun but we never really know him as a person. We don't see him anxious, afraid, sad. I want my readers to weep and rejoice with my characters.

message 18: by wonderwomand (new)

wonderwomand | 17 comments Rhys,

Have you ever visited the Oakland Museum? They have an interesting exhibit on California history including Hollywood.

Diana

Rhys wrote: "Kristen wrote: "Ms. Bowen: I love both your Molly Murphy and your Royal Spyness series. I always enjoy when you send Georgie out on an interesting trip, and am wondering if you have ever considered..."

message 19: by Laura (new)

Laura I love the Georgie books - I find her fun and the predicaments she gets into very interesting. Couple of questions - we've met Georgie's relatives, will we ever get to meet Darcy's family? Then, it is chaleenging writing a fictional character who interacts with actual historical characters - Queen Mary, etc.

message 20: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnahr) I first read the Royal Spyness series in print then discovered the audio versions and am enjoying working my through the books again. Katherine Kellgren is an excellent narrator and really brings the series to life.

My question is: have you listened to any of the audio versions yourself and did you have any input into the choice of narrator or did you just get lucky with Katherine Kellgren?

message 21: by Rhys, Author of "City of Darkness and Light" (new)

Laura wrote: "I love the Georgie books - I find her fun and the predicaments she gets into very interesting. Couple of questions - we've met Georgie's relatives, will we ever get to meet Darcy's family? Then, ..."
Hi Laura: I'm hoping to write a book soon featuring Darcy's family and the castle in Ireland. And as for real characters--I try to make them as close as possible to what we know of them, so that they say things I know they really said.

message 22: by Rhys, Author of "City of Darkness and Light" (new)

Donna wrote: "I first read the Royal Spyness series in print then discovered the audio versions and am enjoying working my through the books again. Katherine Kellgren is an excellent narrator and really brings ..."
RHYS: Hi Donna. I love the audio version of the series and couldn't be happier with Katy Kellgren. I have listened to most of them and she is perfect. I'm also pleased now that Nicola Barber is reading Molly.

message 23: by Rhys, Author of "City of Darkness and Light" (new)

Donna wrote: "I first read the Royal Spyness series in print then discovered the audio versions and am enjoying working my through the books again. Katherine Kellgren is an excellent narrator and really brings ..."
I had no input into Katherine Kellgren--just lucked out, but I did have a chance to select Nicola.

message 24: by Rhys, Author of "City of Darkness and Light" (new)

Diana wrote: "Rhys,

Have you ever visited the Oakland Museum? They have an interesting exhibit on California history including Hollywood.

Diana

I have visited it, but not since writing the story set in Hollywood. I had plenty of background material and photos of the time to help me.

Rhys wrote: "Kristen wrote: "Ms. Bowen: I love both your Molly ..."

message 25: by wonderwomand (new)

wonderwomand | 17 comments Look forward to meeting Darcy's family in one of your future books..

Rhys wrote: "Laura wrote: "I love the Georgie books - I find her fun and the predicaments she gets into very interesting. Couple of questions - we've met Georgie's relatives, will we ever get to meet Darcy's f..."

message 26: by wonderwomand (new)

wonderwomand | 17 comments What does this slang "Bob's your uncle" mean? Is it a play on words or does it have an origin from somewhere? Just wondering.

message 27: by Dee (new)

Dee Kridel (deek) | 2 comments Just got home from work and I hope I'm not too late!

I love the Georgie books so much, and I'm working my way through the Molly books now while I'm waiting for the next "Royal Spyness".

I know the Georgie books have a lighthearted tone (well except for the requisite Murder and Mayhem), but you know that the world Georgie inhabits is about to turn rather dark with the rise of fascism. How are you going to handle this and the Abdication?

message 28: by Rhys, Author of "City of Darkness and Light" (new)

Diana wrote: "What does this slang "Bob's your uncle" mean? Is it a play on words or does it have an origin from somewhere? Just wondering."

It's Cockney and it means everything will be all right. It's not known where it came from but the suggestion is that it's from the time when Robert Peel started the police force. If Bob was your uncle you had no need to worry.

message 29: by Rhys, Author of "City of Darkness and Light" (new)

Dee wrote: "Just got home from work and I hope I'm not too late!

I love the Georgie books so much, and I'm working my way through the Molly books now while I'm waiting for the next "Royal Spyness".

I know th..."

This is a good question. Obviously I want to keep the series going so that I can handle the abdication and the rise of fascism, but it will be a fine line to walk, knowing what is coming and in store for the world. I'll tread carefully and can always make fun of Mrs. Simpson!

message 30: by wonderwomand (new)

wonderwomand | 17 comments Rhys wrote: "Diana wrote: "What does this slang "Bob's your uncle" mean? Is it a play on words or does it have an origin from somewhere? Just wondering."

It's Cockney and it means everything will be all righ..."

Thanks!

message 31: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1 comments I just want to say thank you for writing the Royal Spyness series! I very much enjoy all of the books you've written, but following Georgie's adventures has been my favorite!

message 32: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 2 comments Rhys wrote: "Kristen wrote: "Ms. Bowen: I love both your Molly Murphy and your Royal Spyness series. I always enjoy when you send Georgie out on an interesting trip, and am wondering if you have ever considered..."

That sounds exciting! Thank you.

message 33: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 12 comments Rhys, as a big fan of the Molly Murphy series and future reader of your other works, I have a question about series writing for you. Do you start out or soon develop a stopping point in your mind of when you will end a series, or do you just keep writing from book to book with no end in sight? BTW, I'm hoping you don't have an end-in-sight for Molly.

message 34: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 12 comments Rhys wrote: "Charles wrote: "I love the jacket art for the new Molly! Tell us a little about how you researched the story and the period. How you "saw" Paris in Molly's time."

RHYS: I love the jacket too. I we..."

Rhys, you certainly made the Paris of Picasso, Monet, Degas, and Cassatt come alive in City of Darkness and Light.

message 35: by Rhys, Author of "City of Darkness and Light" (new)

Jen wrote: "I just want to say thank you for writing the Royal Spyness series! I very much enjoy all of the books you've written, but following

Georgie's adventures has been my favorite!"

Thank you, Jen. Glad you're enjoying the series.

message 36: by Rhys, Author of "City of Darkness and Light" (new)

Kathy B. wrote: "Rhys wrote: "Charles wrote: "I love the jacket art for the new Molly! Tell us a little about how you researched the story and the period. How you "saw" Paris in Molly's time."

RHYS: I love the jac..."

I went to Paris and just walked around Montmartre, Pigalle, Montparnasse, the museums. So much of it is unchanged since Molly's time.

message 37: by Rhys, Author of "City of Darkness and Light" (new)

Kathy B. wrote: "Rhys, as a big fan of the Molly Murphy series and future reader of your other works, I have a question about series writing for you. Do you start out or soon develop a stopping point in your mind ..."

I've never had a stopping point in mind. I'll keep going with Molly until I feel I have nothing more to say. At the moment I love spending time with her.

message 38: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 12 comments Rhys wrote: "Kathy B. wrote: "Rhys, as a big fan of the Molly Murphy series and future reader of your other works, I have a question about series writing for you. Do you start out or soon develop a stopping po..."

That's great to hear!

message 39: by Dee (new)

Dee Kridel (deek) | 2 comments Rhys wrote: "Diana wrote: "What does this slang "Bob's your uncle" mean? Is it a play on words or does it have an origin from somewhere? Just wondering."

It's Cockney and it means everything will be all righ..."

Another explanation I read goes back to the 1880s when the PM Robert Cecil, Lord Salsbury, appointed his nephew Arthur Balfour as Chief Secretary for Ireland (a huge and prestigious job). The implication being that everythings grand if "Bob's your uncle".

message 40: by Bette (new)

Bette | 1 comments Rhys - I have read all of your Molly and Georgie books. I am amazed that you can alternate between two different writing styles. Molly is more serious, more descriptive with accurate historical times and places. George is humorous, qwirky, witty and frivolous and not always accurate historically. The differences make them more interesting. I love them all.

message 41: by FH (new)

FH | 3 comments Rhys, looks like I need to discover you but I believe I have never seen your books over here.

message 42: by Shellee (new)

Shellee (shelleeash) | 1 comments I have to add my vote for more Evan Evans, though I will continue to enjoy all the books you pen, Evans was always my favorite. You have a demanding fan following, we all want more of our favorite, but it is your fault for giving us such treats to read!

message 43: by Janet (new)

Janet | 1 comments Ms Bowen
I have enjoyed all of your books but especially Evan Evans. I have lived in Canada for over 30 years but my Dad still lives an hour away from North Wales. I remember the locations mentioned in the books and see the stories as movies in my head when I. Read. Thank you for writing such wonderful books.

message 44: by Corey (new)

Corey | 2 comments WARNING: Contains Potential Spoilers!
Rhys, If I may call you that, I was still reading Gilded's predecessor when I wrote to you, but I just finished "In A Gilded Cage" this week, loved it, had it figured that the murderer was someone trying to shut down the suffrage movement, but who still came as a shock! I had no idea that the poison used was available 1903, I saw it used in an episode of CSI:NY just 4-5 years back. Anyhow, I have "The Last Illusion" on order from Amazon, and can hardly wait, considering it looks like Molly's newest client might just be Harry Houdini! Of course, Molly's adventures are a whole different kind of magic. As long as you keep writing about her, I'll keep reading! Thank you so much.

message 45: by FH (new)

FH | 3 comments Rhys,
I just went to 2 different bookshops over here and to a book exchange club but was very disappointed not to see any of your books there. Am curious to read your books one day.

Ask Rhys Bowen, Deborah Crombie, and Charles Todd!

unread topics | mark unread