2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2014 > Mary-Ann's Corner

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary-Ann (last edited Oct 04, 2014 03:01AM) (new)

Mary-Ann Smith (marysorangebookcorner) | 171 comments 2014 50 Book Challenge

49/50

Book 1. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Book 2. Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile
Book 3. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Book 4. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Book 5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Book 6. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Book 7. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Book 8. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Book 9. The Hunger Games
Book 10. Catching Fire
Book 11. Mockingjay
Book 12. American Gods
Book 13. Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Book 14. Days of Blood and Starlight
Book 15. Beautiful Creatures
Book 16. Spilt Milk
Book 17. The Kite Runner
Book 18. Lord of the Flies
Book 19. Dark Aemilia
Book 20. Stardust
Book 21. Dreams of Gods and Monsters
Book 22. West of the Moon
Book 23. Enchantress
Book 24. Shadow. Translated from the Swedish by McKinley Burnett
Book 25. Eeny Meeny
Book 26. The Night Circus
Book 27. Fallen
Book 28. 12 Years a Slave
Book 29. Life of Pi
Book 30. The Goddess and the Thief
Book 31. The Walking Dead, Vol. 01: Days Gone Bye
Book 32. Inkheart
Book 33. Station Eleven
Book 34. Torment
Book 35. The Lovely Bones
Book 36. No Money 1
Book 37. No money 2
Book 38. No money 3
Book 39. No Money 4
Book 40. No Money 5
Book 41. No Money 6
Book 42. No Money 7
Book 43. No Money 8
Book 44. The Crimson Spell, Volume 1
Book 45. The Crimson Spell, Volume 2
Book 46. Crimson Spell, Volume 3
Book 47. Crimson Spell Band 4
Book 48. Oryx and Crake
Book 49. The Woodcutter
Book 50. Jurassic Park

In addition I am adding a page count challenge so that I don't get tempted to read tiny books. Changed this so on average I have to be reading books with at least 400 pages if I only read 50 books.

Page Count Challenge

17,436/20,000

message 2: by Mary-Ann (last edited Sep 20, 2014 01:03AM) (new)

Mary-Ann Smith (marysorangebookcorner) | 171 comments For both lists I have randomly chosen 10 books that are possibles for me to read. This may change depending on what I have on my shelf and what I can get my hands on. The random lists were more to semi challenge me to read a different assortment of books rather than just books I know I will like.

Listopia Challenge - 10 Books from: Best Books Ever List

8/10

Book 1. Lord of the Flies
Book 2.Fallen
Book 3. Inkheart
Book 4. The Hunger Games
Book 5. The Name of the Wind
Book 6. Beautiful Creatures
Book 7. Watership Down
Book 8. Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Book 9. Stardust
Book 10. Catching Fire

Listopia Challenge - 10 books from: Best Books of the 21st Century

5/10

Book 1. The Kite Runner
Book 2. The Book Thief
Book 3. Life of Pi
Book 4. The Fault in Our Stars
Book 5. Water For Elephants
Book 6. The Lovely Bones
Book 7. My Sister's Keeper
Book 8. American Gods
Book 9. City of Bones
Book 10. The Night Circus

message 3: by Mary-Ann (last edited Oct 04, 2014 03:03AM) (new)

Mary-Ann Smith (marysorangebookcorner) | 171 comments A-Z Alphabet Challenge

20/26

A. American Gods(American Gods) - Neil Gaimen
B. Beautiful Creatures(Beautiful Creatures) - Kami Garcia
C. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Chamber of Secrets) - J. K. Rowling
D. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Deathly Hallows )- J. K. Rowling
E. Enchantress( Enchantress) - James Maxwell
F. Fallen(Fallen) - Lauren Kate
G. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Goblet of Fire) - J. K. Rowling
H. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Half-Blood Prince) - J. K. Rowling
I. Inkheart(Inkheart) - Cornelia Funke
J. Jurassic Park(Jurassic Park) - Michael Crichton
K. The Kite Runner (The Kite Runner) - Khaled Hosseini
L. Fables, Vol. 1: Legends in Exile (Legends in Exile) - Bill Willingham
M. Mockingjay (Mockingjay) - Suzanne Collins
N. The Night Circus(The Night Circus) - Erin Morgenstern
O. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (Order of the Phoenix) - J. K. Rowling
P. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Philosopher's Stone) - J. K. Rowling
Q. (The Traitor Queen) - Trudi Canavan
R. (Red Glove) - Holly Black
S. Spilt Milk (Spilt Milk) - Amanda Hodgkinson
T. The Goddess and the Thief (The Goddess and the Thief) - Essie Fox
U. (Under the Dome) - Stephen King
V. (Voice of the Gods) - Trudi Canavan
W. West of the Moon (West of the Moon) - Margi Preus
X. (Daughter of Xanadu) - Dori Jones Yang
Y. 12 Years a Slave (12 Years a Slave - Solomon Northup
Z. (The Zahir) - Paulo Coelho

message 4: by Mary-Ann (last edited Mar 23, 2014 04:28AM) (new)

Mary-Ann Smith (marysorangebookcorner) | 171 comments DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME MINI CHALLENGE

1.Read a book set in a place that currently uses daylight savings time.
American Gods - 02/03/14

2. Read a book set in a place that does not currently use daylight savings time.
The Kite Runner - Afghanistan - 23/03/14

3. Daylight savings time was first implemented in 1916. Read a book that takes place before 1916.
Spilt Milk - the story starts in 1913 - 19/03/14

4. Daylight savings time was first proposed by a man named George Veronon Hudson. Read a book by an author who shares an initial with George Vernon Hudson.
Beautiful Creatures - Kami Garcia - 16/03/14

FINISHED ON 23/03/14

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) Ooh I hope you like Enchantress, I read that last week and really enjoyed it =]

Fables in on my list was it good?

message 6: by Mary-Ann (new)

Mary-Ann Smith (marysorangebookcorner) | 171 comments I luckily got Enchantress free from the kindle store along with some other books going for free so I decided i need to try and read some of the free ones soonish!

And I enjoyed Fable, you cant definitely tell it is the start of a series, as you come across a lot of characters but don't really get to know them all. From the looks of it each volume covers a different story line. I would definitely recommend giving it ago. I know I will read more of them when I get chance.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahlou29) I got mine from Kindle Store too. Got to love the freebies =D It's good, I want to read the series but the rest cost money, so that'll have to wait for a bit.

I will have to search the library for Fables next time I go in.

message 8: by Mary-Ann (last edited Apr 25, 2014 02:42AM) (new)

Mary-Ann Smith (marysorangebookcorner) | 171 comments LITTLE APRIL SHOWER MINI CHALLENGE

1. Beauty and the Beast. Read a book that has "Romance" listed as a genre OR a book where the main character misjudges someone.
Dark Aemilia - there was both romance and misjudgement - 11/04/14

2. The Rescuers. Read a book that has "Adventure" listed as a genre OR a book in which someone needs rescuing.
West of the Moon - rescues her sister - 24/04/14

3. The Little Mermaid. Read a book that takes place at sea OR contains mythical creatures.
Stardust - contains mythical creatures - 13/04/14

4. The Sword in the Stone. Read a book that contains magic of some sort OR read a book that takes place in medieval Europe.
Dreams of Gods and Monsters - contains magic of some sort - 22/04/13

message 9: by Mary-Ann (last edited Sep 25, 2014 04:32PM) (new)

Mary-Ann Smith (marysorangebookcorner) | 171 comments SECOND QUARTER CHALLENGE: #READWOMEN2014 (now yearly)

11/10

1. Dark Aemilia: A Novel of Shakespeare's Dark Lady - Sally O'Reilly - 11/04/14
2. West of the Moon - Margi Preus - 24/04/14
3. Shadow. Translated from the Swedish by McKinley Burnett - Karin Alvtegen - 15/05/14
4. The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern - 05/06/14
5. Fallen - Lauren Kate - 05/07/14
6. The Goddess and the Thief - Essie Fox - 03/08/14
7. Inkheart - Cornelia Funke - 09/08/14
8. Station Eleven - Emily St. John Mandel - 13/08/14
9. The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold - 23/08/14
10. Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood - 19/09/14
11. The Woodcutter - Kate Danley - 25/09/14
12. White Cat (Curse Workers, #1) by Holly Black 13. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
14. City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare 15. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

message 10: by Mary-Ann (last edited Jul 05, 2014 07:33AM) (new)

Mary-Ann Smith (marysorangebookcorner) | 171 comments THE MAY HOLIDAY COVER HUNT (with alternatives)

3/4 (goal)

1. May Day is lei day in Hawaii. Read a book with a flower on its cover OR read a book that takes place in a country that celebrates May day. For a list, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internat...

Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1) by James Maxwell - shows the Alturan raj hada 'a sword upon a flower' - 05/05/14

2. World Press Freedom Day. Read a book with a form of media on its cover (such as a book, a newspaper, or a CD) OR read a book in which a character is a reporter.

The Book Thief – Markus Zusak

3. Star Wars Day. May the Fourth be With You. Read a book with a star on its cover OR read a science fiction book.

The Night Circus – Erin Morganstern

4. Children’s Day. こどもの日. Read a book that has a child on its cover OR read a young adult book.

Shadow by Karin Alvtegen Shadow - Karin Alvetgen - 15/05/14

5. Cinco de Mayo. Read a book with the number 5 somewhere on its cover (even if it’s in the title!) OR read a book with a 5 in its number of pages.

The 5th Wave – Rick Yancey

6. National Train Day. Read a book with a mode of transportation on its cover OR read a book in which a character takes a train ride.

Something Rotten – Jasper Fforde

7. Towel Day. "A towel, [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have." Read a book with a towel on it OR read a book written by Douglas Adams.

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxys – Douglas Adams

8. World Turtle Day. Read a book with an animal on its cover OR read a book that contains a turtle.

Eeny Meeny by M.J. Arlidge - crows on the cover - 22/05/14

Challenge failed.

message 11: by Mary-Ann (last edited Sep 25, 2014 04:54PM) (new)

Mary-Ann Smith (marysorangebookcorner) | 171 comments THIRD QUARTER CHALLENGE: HUNGER GAMES
10/14
Duration: July 1 - September 30, 2014

May the odds be ever in your favor.

The Capitol: The capitol is filled with beautiful extravagant people. Read a book with “beauty” in the title OR read a book where the main character is said to be extraordinarily beautiful.
Torment – Lauren Kate – 15/08/14

District 1: District 1 produces luxury items. Read a book about people who are rich OR read a book where a piece of jewelry plays an important role.
The Goddess and the Thief - the Koh-I-Noor diamond – 03/08/14

District 2: District 2 produces weapons and trains peacekeepers. Read a book about a war OR read a book with a cop as one of the characters.
The Walking Dead, Vol. 01: Days Gone Bye - Officer Rick Grimes - 08/08/14

District 3: District 3 makes electronics. Read a book about a technologically advanced society OR read a book with a computer (or robot) as a main character.
Oryx and Crake - Margaret Atwood- 19/09/14

District 4: District 4 is a fishing district. Read a book about a fisherman OR read a book that at least partially takes place on a boat.
Life of Pi - 26/07/14

District 5: District 5 is the source of electrical power. Read a book that features a lightning storm OR read a book that is set in a place without electricity.
Station Eleven - 13/08/14

District 6: District 6 is the hub of transportation. Read a book written by an author from a different country OR read a book that takes place in a real location you could visit.
The Lovely BonesAlice Sebold, Madison, Wisconsin – 23/08/14

District 7: District 7 produces lumber and paper. Read a book that takes place in a forest OR read a physical book made out of paper (as opposed to an ebook).
12 Years a Slave – Solomon Northup – 13/07/14

District 8: District 8 makes textiles. Read a book about fashion OR read with an item of clothing on its cover.

District 9: District 9 produces grain and has no characters named in the books. Read a book with an unnamed main character OR read a book with a character who is a vegetarian.
Fallen - Lauren Kate - 05/07/14

District 10: District 10 specialized in raising livestock. Read a book that has a domestic animal as a character OR read a book that has an animal in the title.

District 11: District 11 is an agricultural district and Rue, a young herbalist, originated here. Read a book where a young person dies OR read a book where an herbalist saves someone from dying.
The Woodcutter - Kate Danley - 25/09/14

District 12: District 12 is the mining district, and Katniss and Peeta, its tributes, wear clothes that catch fire. Read a book that has a fire that is helpful in it OR read a book that has the word “coal” somewhere in it (add a quote of the sentence where you found the word).
“He made his son play with hot coals, and sometimes he beat him almost as hard as he beat the iron he forged.” Inkheart – Cornelia Funke – 09/08/14

District 13: District 13 is a rebellious district that specialized in nuclear technology. Read a book centered around a nuclear disaster OR read a book where the main character is rebellious.