Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Author Resource Round Table > Digital Rights Management on Kindle

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matty (new)

Matty Millard | 7 comments Hi all!

I've released my book in paperback (via Createspace), and I'm now looking into the kindle e-book version. It has a question about DRM though, which I'm clueless on and would like to understand more. I understand that it basically stops you from being able to send a book out to anyone, but does it stop you from having it on more than one device and stuff like that? Do you have to install something? I don't have a kindle or e-reader so I'm trying to understand what impact it will have on the customer! I'm not bothered about a few free copies winging around as I'm sure I'll partake in the offers anyway! Interesting to hear what others think / have done?

Thanks, Matty

message 2: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) | 69 comments Any digital file can be converted a number of different ways. The DMR doesn't "stop" anyone from doing anything. However, the file you receive with Kindle is only compatiable with Kindle.

Compatiability isn't really the issue. Read the contract, or get someone you trust to read the contact, carefully. Kindle Direct Publishing does have restrictions on where and for how long your book can be sold. Namely, Amazon only.

message 3: by Matty (new)

Matty Millard | 7 comments Thanks - I've read the T&C's and I'm happy with it being Amazon only and the Select Program is a good way for initial marketing and getting the book out there. I *think* I will probably be going without DMR as I've seen a few comments by others that say DMR makes it awkward for customers - is that fair do you think?

message 4: by Lily (new)

Lily Vagabond (lilyauthor) | 69 comments I think so. After all, many use Nook as well as other ereaders. Might as well leave the options open.

message 5: by R.A. (new)

R.A. White (rawhite) | 361 comments The Amazon contract only limits your sales to them if you sign up for KDP Select. That's when you can offer your book for free for 5 days out of the 90 day contract. I did it for a 90 stretch with my first book, and may do it again someday, but not with the second. If they want to see what happens next, they're going to have to pay. If you're not in Select, you can sell your books through other sites to make them available in other formats. Smashwords and Draft2Digital are two names that come up often, though I haven't actually used them yet.
If anything I've said is out of date or incorrect, someone please correct me!

message 6: by Matty (new)

Matty Millard | 7 comments Thanks R.A - you're exactly right with your statement. I'm going to use KDP and the select program to start with, and move off it if I decide to sell the book elsewhere.

message 7: by R.A. (new)

R.A. White (rawhite) | 361 comments That's probably the best way to go for a person just starting out. Once I get another book out, I may give the first one for free for a while just to attract new readers. Many people have said that works really well for them. I just want to have more for them to buy before I do it. Also, I've heard from quite a few people that if you offer a book for free on another site, amazon will eventually price match it for you so it's free there, too. When book three comes out, I may try that and see what happens. Of course, by then there may not be any other places to sell.