Fantasy and Vampire Book Club discussion

General Chit Chat > Anti Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adele, Moderator (last edited Feb 08, 2014 05:40AM) (new)

Adele (turtil) | 1767 comments Mod
Do you have a book that you have not finished ?
I think everyone at some point has found a book they hate.
this topic is about those books.
tell us which ones you couldn't finish because you hated it so much.
Tell us about the ones you forced yourself to finish
tell us about the books you really hate.

Ok this will need some rules
Now this will be really simple.
*List the book and tell us why.
(thats all we want to hear)
*no defending of books( this is purely about books)I have loved books others have hated so im providing a free space for those haters.

Which leads me to my next point
*no badmouthing authors, they work hard and yes everyone is entitled to their opinion however badmouthing authors is a no no.
im serious here. This is about books. Not authors
dont make it personal.

message 2: by Lena (new)

Lena | 26 comments I did not care for Evermore (The Immortals, #1) by Alyson Noel . I am a stickler for consistency, and this book did not have enough follow-through for me. In the beginning, the MC lists her many abilities, but never mentions them again in the whole novel.
For instance, she mentions at one point that she sees ghosts everywhere, but never mentions it again. I'd think if you saw ghosts everywhere you went, it would be a pretty big deal!

message 3: by Tarynn (new)

Tarynn Bundy (vavavamp) | 5 comments the summoning by Bentley little. the worst boon ive read to date. my "read" list isn't completed yet so yea. its lacking in EVERYTHING. it took me forever to finish it because I could only handle small doses. there was no focus and the plot and characters were so scattered and not centerdd. it was ridiculously juvenile and poorly written. grammar definitely needed work.

message 4: by Adele, Moderator (new)

I actually never got into the city of bones series. The first book turned me off so much i just never went back

message 5: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Norma Mills | 653 comments Mod
I don't think I have ever read a series I didn't like... I have read books I hated.. Such as:

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern ..This book had so much hype and sucked so bad... I couldn't read it, I had to audiobook it... and I wanted to stab my eardrums with ice picks!

A Lion Among Men (The Wicked Years, #3) by Gregory Maguire .. Book 3 in the Wicked Series.. I actually put this down for a YEAR! Before I had to force my way through it so I could read the following:

Out of Oz (The Wicked Years, #4) by Gregory Maguire .. Book 4 in the Wicked Series... I LOVED Books 1 and 2, but 3 had no point and I was excited to get back to the idea of book 2 and it's continuation..but NO... almost 500 pages of head tilting, WTF glaring CRAP! GRRR.

Planet X (Star Trek The Next Generation) by Michael Jan Friedman .. I LOVE Star Trek TNG.. I am a Trekkie since I was 5! I Love X-Men! This was simple! Has to be good! WRONG!!!! I read 1/4 of the book and threw it out the window. Literally.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, #1) by Seth Grahame-Smith .. I heard this was great! Hilarious..cute..blah blah blah.... THIS BOOKED SUCKED! How it made it big and is now being made into a movie.. I don't know...

I did reviews on all of these... some may think one thing.. some may think another... But this is my opinion... :)

message 6: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Amyiw | 1083 comments Mod
Adele wrote: "I actually never got into the city of bones series. The first book turned me off so much i just never went back"

Ha, that is one I really disliked so much I ranted, here's my rant..
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

What I even dislike more though, is when a series that I really like has a flop book for me, one that I just really, really want to throw across the room, better yet, chuck into the fireplace.

Series I'm addicted to which have a book I disliked to the point of one star.
Dirk & Steele's The Red Heart of Jade (Dirk & Steele, #3) by Marjorie M. Liu by Marjorie M. Liu I loved book two, I loved story 4 but this book, argh.

The League by Kenyon, Born of Fire (The League, #2) by Sherrilyn Kenyon . The series has only got better but that one nearly broke me I hated the heroine so much.

Warriors of Poseidon by Alyssa Day, really disliked Atlantis Redeemed (Warriors of Poseidon, #5) by Alyssa Day

Highlander series by Karen Marie Moning, really, really disliked To Tame A Highland Warrior (Highlander #2) by Karen Marie Moning , yet books 4, 5, 6, and 7 are some of my favorites.

This year I was actually impressed by the Daughter of Smoke & Bone trilogy books 1 & 2, except that they left the main story arc in a cliffhanger. The 2nd book was even better than the first but for yet another cliffhanger. Then came the 3rd book and the trilogy wrap up, Dreams of Gods & Monsters (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #3) by Laini Taylor which just ruined the first two books as the wrap up stank up the whole story. At the end, I didn't care about the characters at all and whether they got together or not. When they did it was a "whatever" not relief that was felt. I should have left it at a cliffhanger.

I try to trudge through books even that are annoying. I wish I didn't do that with Hush (Lodestone Trilogy, #1) by Cherry Adair by Cherry Adair and The Captive by Amanda Ashley by Amanda Ashley. Never had read the authors before and it might taint me from picking up more from them.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

@ Andrew - I was SO angry at how Dreams of Gods & Monsters ended the series! I finished it months ago and every time I think about it I get infuriated all over again! It was such a fun, original story with characters I adored.....until the last book and everyone was so lame. >:I

One book that just straight gets my blood boiling is Enclave. I wrote an incredibly hateful review because it was just that bad that it needed to be said.

message 8: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Hybrid wrote: "@ Andrew - I was SO angry at how Dreams of Gods & Monsters ended the series! I finished it months ago and every time I think about it I get infuriated all over again! It was such a ..."

OK, links to hateful reviews. I find reading the bad review really can let me know if I should pick it up. Some reviews, you can tell, are not the same reasons you would dislike it. I've picked up books just to see, and then loved them. Here is my God's and Monters, https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... Some are quite funny. I also love going to books that I loved and looking at bad reviews, just to see.

Oh, and here's one more. City of Bones such and well reviewed and liked book and series it was made into a movie.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
really, really, disliked it.

message 9: by Adele, Moderator (new)

i may have to add Alice in Zombieland Alice in Zombieland (White Rabbit Chronicles, #1) by Gena Showalter to this topic.
i had such high high hopes.
you are not alone with your dislike of that series amy. i still can't bring myself to read another one... and they were in the box of books i got for christmas!

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

The books that I find hardest to review are the ones that are just okay. I can easily write about things I love or hate but in between is hard. I made this profile strictly for reviewing books that I read.
People can feel free to add me. I like exchanging books with new people.

message 11: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Norma Mills | 653 comments Mod
OMG..LOL! I read City of Bones in all of a day! I loved it! After book four, though, the series gets stupid.

Alice in Zommbieland almost ended up on my piss list, but I liked it! I want to try it on audiobook... LOL!

message 12: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 39 comments Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1) by MaryJanice Davidson I read the first 5 or 6 then just couldn't read them anymore. The last one I read was so convoluted and confusing, I gave up on the series.
The Vampire Queen's Servant (Vampire Queen, #1) by Joey W. Hill I heard great things about this series, and read book 1, but gave up after the one. Every time the plot started happening, the sex took over and the plot went away. I wanted to like it, but just couldn't give the next book a try. I might someday.
Night World Series By L J Smith 9 Titles In 3 Books Set Pack Collection by L.J. Smith I skimmed the first 2 but just couldn't get into them.
Black Moon (Moon Trilogy, #1) by C.L. Bevill I liked the first one, but the 2nd book was nothing like the first, and I gave up on it and the series.

message 13: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited Jan 25, 2016 06:17PM) (new)

Updating my anti recommends for 2016
So last year I finally picked up Lora Leigh's Breeds and really didn't particularly like the first one but didn't hate it. Since so many people liked it I talk myself into reading book 2, wow, really disliked that one.
The Man Within (Breeds, #2; Feline Breeds, #2) by Lora Leigh My review
So won't be moving on there.

A Touch of Crimson (Renegade Angels, #1) by Sylvia Day , really disliked it. Won't be picking up book 2.
My review

Fated (Dark Protectors, #1) by Rebecca Zanetti , almost thought it was OK and like Breeds will probably try the next.My review

And from one of my favorite series... Thea Harrison's Elder Races
Midnight's Kiss (Elder Races, #8) by Thea Harrison My review
The series is redeemed with the next novel and the novellas, this one just irritated and I ended up disliking the characters and thinking their actions TSTL.

message 14: by Jeana (new)

Jeana Budnick | 90 comments The only book I have ever picked up and didn't finish reading was Memnoch the Devil. The first three books in the series were alright, though mostly I compared them to their movie adaptations. The 4th book was weird and irritating and then there was the 5th. I remember it starting out kind of good and then it went off onto this really religious path and just wouldn't get off it. I don't even remember what the plot of the book was supposed to be. Maybe cuz there was no plot. I have no problem with religion in books but that's not why I read a book. I want plot not god/devil theories.

message 15: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Jeana wrote: "The only book I have ever picked up and didn't finish reading was Memnoch the Devil. The first three books in the series were alright, though mostly I compared them to their movie adap..."

That is a better statistic than me. I've picked up books and started but then just put them down because I didn't get into them. It never has gone too far and I never review them as I have nothing to review.

I've had a couple of books that I was well into and just couldn't handle something and put them down, usually thinking I would finish them at a later date, then never came back to them. Only a couple of those. One was the last Anita Blake book I picked up. I'm maybe 2/3rds through but just cannot bring myself to it. It wasn't a bad story, just not what I wanted to read. Too dark at the time.