Ask Madhuri Anything! discussion

Ask Me Anything…Go For It!

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Madhuri (new)

Madhuri Pavamani | 18 comments Mod
Good morning. The Kid woke me up at 6:47, despite the fact he's supposed to stay in bed until 7. He rationalized his way around that rule by pointing out that I did not say which bed, so he was going to stay in my bed until 7. Smartass.

So I'm up and if you are, too, go ahead and shoot me a question.

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 3 comments I'm wondering how you're coming with Book II, The Boy.

message 3: by Madhuri (new)

Hi Cheryl! This is going to wind up being a conversation between me and my close friends. haha. But that's ok.

The Boy is coming along. It's been slow-moving at times, but I've been in a really good rhythm the past week, managing to write quite a bit. I'm thinking I have about another month of writing, editing and the like. I texted my girlfriend, Michele, this week and told her to start putting together her ideas for the cover because I'm about a month to two months away from needing it. Fingers crossed.

Interestingly, I haven't yet done a full read-through of what I've written, so am not quite sure as to the flow of the book. However, I've sent it to my group of friends who read my drafts for me so will hopefully get some feedback from them shortly.

message 4: by Cheryl (last edited Feb 08, 2014 11:39AM) (new)

Cheryl | 3 comments It seems to me that is pretty fast work, especially for someone who is a mother & works a full-time demanding job! I don't (really!) know how you've done it.
I thought the cover of The Girl was absolutely superb! It suggested a girl's form as well as a gold trophy (to me.) I can't imagine a better cover for that book so it will be interesting to see "the boy's" put forth.

So, I think it's time to do a read-through of what you've done so far (or you might not know what your draft readers are talking about)! Ha!

I'm very impressed with all that you've done & are doing! Lots of people talk about their wish to write but NEVER even start the task, let alone finish it. I know this is a series, but you've done I, are doing II & I have no doubt that you'll complete III. Then you'll have your trilogy-and wow, how cool that is!

message 5: by Madhuri (new)

OMG, love you, Cheryl. This is just going to be a love fest between you and me. And I'm okay with that. I told my girlfriend that you loved the cover - we had a nice chat about you seeing a "trophy" and what others have seen. At the book club I attended, some folks said they saw a butt. I see hips. And then other times, when I focus on the yellow, I see boobs. I like that it's ambiguous. I can't wait to see what Michele has up her sleeve for book II.

Are you hinting around that you'd like to be one of my draft readers? Because I'm more than happy to oblige, if you're interested.

message 6: by Cheryl (last edited Feb 09, 2014 06:35AM) (new)

Cheryl | 3 comments Actually I wasn't hinting for that but I'd love to do it. I've never done it before though....
Yes, the cover is ambiguous & that's what makes it so great. It can be a girl's form for sure & one can see hips, boobs or whatever. I do see the trophy (she "wins) but it's also a bit ying & yangish. Or Light & Dark... I think it's good enough to be put up for a cover design award.
Well, the day's about up, so this is probably close to our last message in the discussion. I've had fun :)

Keep on truckin' You are doing SO great!

message 7: by Qurratulayn (new)

Qurratulayn (KaytiNikaRaet) | 1 comments Ag, well, i'm late. Can you give us a hint of what The Boy is going to be about? Is it going to still be in Dev's point of view?

message 8: by Madhuri (new)

Better late than never!

Hmmmm…I'm not sure how much I can say just yet. I can tell you it picks up right where The Girl left off and follows the whole crew as they try and move past the battle in the park. The POV is similar to The Girl as there are several in play, helping to tell the story. Of course, Dev's POV is very prevalent, but we also get a lot of Jools (much to the dismay of folks who have told me they cannot stand her. Poor Jools. She just needs to grow up a bit is all; she's not half bad.), mixed in with Ryker, Darby, Ava and Max.

Oh! And we get to meet Jedda, the shape shifter. I rather love him.

The one thing I can say about Book II is that it feels very sad to me, very solemn, which I think can only be expected after the end of Book I. There are moments of levity because it's necessary, but for the most part, the mood is rather sombre. Of course, this is still in draft form, so that could change, but as of right now, that's one of my big observations when thinking about the differences between the two books.

message 9: by Kara (new)

Kara Skinner (Lover's Quarrel Reviews) | 1 comments Hi, Madhuri! Sorry I'm late as well!
It's too bad a lot of people didn't like Jools, because I thought she was pretty cool most of the time. Are we possibly going to meet Ryker's parents in Book II? Because I have to admit I'm a little curious about them.

message 10: by Madhuri (last edited Feb 11, 2014 06:00PM) (new)

Hey Kara,

You know, Jools gets a bad rap. I never found her to be that bad, but maybe because I'm the oldest in my family so her antics don't really faze me. In fact, I rather love the way she's so open and affectionate with Wyatt, always getting in his face and touching him whenever she can. Certain things she does are very endearing to me. But evidently, she drives a lot of people bananas and they think she's nothing more than a brat. To each his own, I suppose.

And I'm pleased to tell you that Ryker's parents, Dot and Ace, make appearances in Book II. His brother, Sachin, is not yet old enough to enter The Academy, so as of yet, he has not made an appearance, but you will get to meet the people who made and molded Ryker in his early years.

Thanks for stopping by, Kara!

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jmckeit) Is it too late to ask a question at this point?

I'd like to know if you're an Indie publisher? I'm working on my first novel, and that's the route I'm planning to go. I was wondering if you'd be interested in sharing perhaps a small part of your experiences in publishing your books?

Thanks! I really like what you've done with your Goodreads page!

message 12: by Madhuri (new)

It's never too late to ask a question!

Thanks for stopping by.

I'm in Indie author who is publishing her own work through Amazon KDP (at least right now) for my electronic offerings and CreateSpace for my paperback prints.

I rather love the freedom of being an Indie - I choose my own covers, work with people I want to work with, have control over my content, etc. It's freaking awesome and I love it.

At the same time, I would be remiss if I did not mention what I don't so much enjoy, which is the marketing of my work. If I'm being honest, I don't hate doing the marketing as much as I used to, but it's exhausting and often I find myself thinking, wow, I just spent two hours marketing Book II when I could have been writing Book III.

But it's the nature of the beast and cannot be avoided.

I can give you a few pointers and then just shoot me back with some more direct questions. Here's what you should set up from the start: your Amazon author's page, your Goodreads author's page, your Facebook page, your blog and your Twitter account. I find I get the most traction from my blog, my Goodreads page and my Twitter account.

Then I've found it helps to network with other Indie authors, help each other out. I just took part in a Meet My Main Character blog tour and invited some of my author friends that I've been through social networking and everyone participated and pushed each other's work and learned about each other's work and it was really cool.

Anyway, just my two cents. Hit me up with whatever you want to know. And thanks for the kind words about my page. If you like, you can also check my blog at www.madhuriblaylock.wordpress.com for some ideas.

Rock on.

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jmckeit) Thanks for those great tips!

I totally agree that you can't put a price on the freedom of being an Indie! I have indeed heard the self-marketing aspect is a bear--a beast--you hit the nail on the head there. I did some marketing in my last job, so I've at least gotten my feet wet in that regard. Nevertheless, I know it will be quite a challenge. But from what I've read, it sounds like authors who publish via the traditional way are now expected to take on more and more of the advertising/marketing tasks, which before were handled by their publishers. So I figure, why not go Indie?

As far as direct questions, right now I only have one: Did you set up your blog, Facebook page, Goodreads author's page, etc. before or after you published? I'm not planning on publishing until around the end of this year or early next year, so it seems like it's a little soon to set anything up when I don't yet have a completed product.

Your blog looks like a blast! Following...

Again, thank you very much for your valuable insight. And for the inspiration! It's really nice to connect with you!

message 14: by Madhuri (last edited Jun 16, 2014 11:05AM) (new)

Sounds like you have a good idea of what you're doing and what you're getting into, which always helps.

I set up everything around the same time that I published, but had I known better, I would have started earlier. That way I would have been able to drum up interest in my work before I published, so then I could have done cover reveals and launch parties and all that kind of fun stuff.

Honestly, I would start now. Plus, it gets you into the habit of blogging and tweeting and posting, you meet other authors and kind of create your little niche, so when you're ready to launch, you're a few steps ahead of the game.

Of course, this is just my two cents and definitely not any science.

And rock on, so psyched you followed my blog. I've read that lots of people hate blogging, but I think it's a trip. I totally have fun with it.

So glad you reached out. Don't be a stranger.

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jmckeit) Thanks a bunch for your two cents! From what I've seen of your work and its results, I'd guess your advice is worth far more than that, and appreciate your sharing it!

Blogging sounds like a lot of fun to me, too, and I'm anxious to get started soon!

You're awesome, lady!

message 16: by Madhuri (new)

Thanks babe! You are too kind.

message 17: by Madhuri (new)

Please vote for THE GIRL to be July's Book of the Month selection.

Just click this link and vote: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Holla.

message 18: by Sumedha (new)

Sumedha | 1 comments Hi,
Nice seeing you here. Well, what's new on your schedule?
Best Regards!

message 19: by Madhuri (new)

Hi Sumedha,

Nice to "see" you as well. Things are pretty much the same around these parts. I'm working on the final book in The Sanctum Trilogy, promoting books I and II, blogging, lawyering and being a mom...in other words, absolute craziness and chaos.

But it's all good.

Tonight I'm actually attending a book club meeting for The Boy. The club read the book for this month and we're all going to meet and discuss it tonight. I can't wait. It's a great group of folks - they read Book I as well - so it should be a good time.

Talk soon,
Madhuri

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jmckeit) Hi, Madhuri! I just wanted to shout out a huge THANK YOU for your advice and inspiration! I've at last published my first novel, and I intend to publish many more! I might not have done it so soon if you hadn't encouraged me!

message 21: by Madhuri (new)

Yea you, Jennifer! That is the most brilliant news. But why didn't you leave me a link so I could check out your work? Please do, I'd love to take a peek. And congrats on achieving this amazing milestone. My advice to you now - keep writing, girlfriend. xx

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jmckeit) Oh, sorry! LOL! Here it is:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

You can also read the first two chapters for free on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1516...

I TOTALLY intend to keep writing! Working on the second draft of Book 2, and I plan to write Book 3 for NaNoWriMo next month!

Thank you, thank you! You're great! :-)